Speed, speed and more speed!

53 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe I'm still salty over that awful performance last night, but I'm not going to give Beane huge props for the Diggs trade.  Diggs definitely had a great year, but I would argue that Josh Allen elevated Diggs, just as he elevated Beasley.  And you're not even addressing the fact that the Bills could have stayed at 22 and picked Justin Jefferson, who's six years younger than Diggs, is on a much cheaper contract over the next four years, and put up numbers that were every bit as good as Diggs's this year, with Kirk Cousins throwing him the ball.  Care to address that?

Easy he it the number 2 wideout with arguably the best RB in the NFL. So mainly going to be single coverage with single high safety. Diggs was against bracket coverage and still ate. Need speed I like toney from Florida and etienne if we can snag him 

Edited by TheJauronClap

Just now, TheJauronClap said:

Easy he it the number 2 wideout with arguably the best RB in the NFL. So mainly going to be single coverage with single high safety. Diggs was against bracket coverage and still ate 

That’s fair, but wasn’t Diggs in that same situation last year with the Vikings?

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s fair, but wasn’t Diggs in that same situation last year with the Vikings?

If your QB doesn’t like you he won’t trust you so throws won’t go his way. Diggs was open about it he said he went to Kirk and the OC and they brushed him off that’s when the fallout happened 

Edited by TheJauronClap

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

McD seems so hell-bent on making him the next Luke Kuechly that he doesn't seem to get this.

He's a very talented player being forced into a role he's ill-suited for.

Luke is the exact kinda player this D truly needs at this phase. 

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

There’s no reason to think he won’t.  Are you confident that in five years Diggs will be outperforming Jefferson?

There isn't a reason?  So every rookie that plays well will always continue to play well at an elite level?

Was Javon Kearse as good as Bruce Smith?

Was Anquan Boldin as good as Marvin Harrison?

So now we aren't talking about 2020 or 2021...we have to start arguing about 2026.

By 2026, Diggs may not even be a Bill.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There isn't a reason?  So every rookie that plays well will always continue to play well at an elite level?

So now we aren't talking about 2020 or 2021...we have to start arguing about 2026.

You aren’t making much sense here...

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The aging curve for WRs isn't terribly promising now. I don't see many Jerry Rices or Marvin Harrisons performing at a Pro Bowl level into their mid-30s.

Diggs is still young (just turned 27) so the Bills don't have to confront that issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Luke is the exact kinda player this D truly needs at this phase. 

If only we could create another one.

And that's kind of my point: Luke Kuechly wasn't so much created by the Panthers. He arrived fully formed as one of the most skilled, disruptive forces in football. Tremaine has the athletic talent, but simply doesn't have anywhere near the understanding of the game.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

You aren’t making much sense here...

You said there isn't any reason to believe Jefferson won't be as good as Diggs.  
I brought up players who also had record breaking rookie seasons.  Kearse had a decent career, Boldin had a good career but never one of the top 3 WR in the game.

So then you bring up who will be better 5 years from now in 2026....

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You said there isn't any reason to believe Jefferson won't be as good as Diggs.  
I brought up players who also had record breaking rookie seasons.  Kearse had a decent career, Boldin had a good career but never one of the top 3 WR in the game.

So then you bring up who will be better 5 years from now in 2026....

The typical trajectory is that players get better after their rookie seasons, not worse.  The fact that you can name a few guys who got worse after their rookie seasons is not evidence that Jefferson will.  FFS, he's 21-years old.  Why would he regress?  It's far more likely that Diggs, who will be 28 before next season, will never have another season like this one.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If only we could create another one.

And that's kind of my point: Luke Kuechly wasn't so much created by the Panthers. He arrived fully formed as one of the most skilled, disruptive forces in football. Tremaine has the athletic talent, but simply doesn't have anywhere near the understanding of the game.

That the biggest ? Can it be developed or coached in Edmunds?

Just now, Real McNasty said:

That the biggest ? Can it be developed or coached in Edmunds?

I think we've seen that it can't.

I was willing to give him a long leash - 19 years old when drafted and all that. And he's still young. But I don't see the growth happening.

If we were talking about a guy with, say, a defensive tackle's body (Ed Oliver?) that would signal that maybe he's as good as he'll get. But Edmunds is a freak. There's a position for him on the football field where he'll excel, and if that position isn't one that exists in any standard approach, well, maybe you ought to think about creating one for him. I hate to see that kind of talent squandered. But as I've said, I think someone will find the right position/role for him. I just don't think it'll be McDermott and the Bills.

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I thought this was some 1970s thread about Keith Richards

Nicely done. But I think we have to go with Lemmy since Keith's drug of choice was somewhat different in the 1970s:

https://www.nme.com/blogs/lemmy-biopic-motorhead-hawkwind-2690187

I only know this because I was able to binge some of the recent wave of rock star bios during the months of COVID shutdowns.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

The problem is hes almost done with his rookie deal and we didn't get the benefit of that enough

Who are you referring to as being almost done with his rookie deal? Tre was extended before the season and Oliver isn’t even halfway through his rookie deal. Are you and Kwai San referring to someone else? Because I can’t ascertain that from your reply to his post about Tre and Oliver.

One player AFTER Espessa,  the Ravens took Dobbins.  Fist team all american.   4.44 sec dash time. Singletary did 4.66 and Moss did 4.65 later improved to 4.52.   The first couple of 2020 WR (walter football) clocked at  4.5   4.45   4.27    4.55   4.43   4.42.  ... Dobbins looks more like wide receiver than a running back.  

Everybody missed the preseason, Dobbins missed most of the 1st six games with minor injuries nd more with Covid.  What I saw in the Ravens game is that he could beat our people to the outside and had a couple of nice runs around the corner.  We don't have that in our playbook.  We don't have the screen pass as a danger for a chunk yardage pickup.  It might be 10-15 yards.  It is never going to be 45 to 60 yards.  We don't have somebody like T.Thomas who can sneak out just beyond the LOS, take a short flip and go for  15 yards almost routinely. ..... ........  In addition, to the yardage, it changes the defences.  DB are NOT going to be able to play 6 DB on 3 WR and keep their eyes on the WR the whole time. 

Why?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/jk-dobbins-ravens-ohio-state-running-backs/50vkayzy7ese1vum9gq9vtx6a  

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

The typical trajectory is that players get better after their rookie seasons, not worse.  The fact that you can name a few guys who got worse after their rookie seasons is not evidence that Jefferson will.  FFS, he's 21-years old.  Why would he regress?  It's far more likely that Diggs, who will be 28 before next season, will never have another season like this one.

Are you seriously saying that only a few guys got worse after their rookie seasons?  I just pointed out guys who has record breaking seasons as rookies.

Players have sophomore slumps or never live up to their first year all the time.  Sam Bradford, Reggie Bush, Steve Slaton, Mike Williams, RGIII, Rashaan Salam etc....

Since you don't think he will regress and he keeps up this pace.....he will have the greatest 4-5 year stretch of any WR in NFL history.  

If there's no reason to think he will regress, his 88 catches, 1,400 yards and 7 TD's will be his floor.  What are you expecting next year with his trajectory?

110 catches, 1,700 yards and 12 TD's?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you seriously saying that only a few guys got worse after their rookie seasons?  I just pointed out guys who has record breaking seasons as rookies.

Players have sophomore slumps or never live up to their first year all the time.  Sam Bradford, Reggie Bush, Steve Slaton, Mike Williams, RGIII, Rashaan Salam etc....

Since you don't think he will regress and he keeps up this pace.....he will have the greatest 4-5 year stretch of any WR in NFL history.  

If there's no reason to think he will regress, his 88 catches, 1,400 yards and 7 TD's will be his floor.  What are you expecting next year with his trajectory?

110 catches, 1,700 yards and 12 TD's?

Good grief.  Jefferson just had a great rookie season.  I have no idea what kind of stats he's going to put up for the next four years, much less over his entire career.  It's possible that this year was a fluke, but it's much more likely that he'll still be a really good NFL receiver when Diggs is in decline or OOF.