Speed, speed and more speed!

8 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

That should be the focus in the offseason for Beane on both sides of the ball.

#1 - Pass rushers(2)

#2 - Homerun threat at RB

#3 - More speed at the TE position

#4 - MLB that can cover

#5 - #2 CB(a true #2 guy not a band-aid)

Agree, as the saying goes "speed kills", "can't coach speed".

That said, can't fill every single need but its a solid list to work from.

Beane needs to be very honest this offseason and make some tough decisions, ie: roster cuts.  Perhaps creating enough cap to sign Milano back, or look for an upgrade at other positions.  Then absolutely need to continue hitting on the 1st, 2nd round picks.  Oliver and Epenesa need to stand out next season

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree, as the saying goes "speed kills", "can't coach speed".

That said, can't fill every single need but its a solid list to work from.

Beane needs to be very honest this offseason and make some tough decisions, ie: roster cuts.  Perhaps creating enough cap to sign Milano back, or look for an upgrade at other positions.  Then absolutely need to continue hitting on the 1st, 2nd round picks.  Oliver and Epenesa need to stand out next season

Continue hitting on 1st and 2d round picks? When did they start to hit on 1st and 2nd round picks, other than Josh Allen?  Or 3rd round picks, for that matter...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Continue hitting on 1st and 2d round picks? When did they start to hit on 1st and 2nd round picks, other than Josh Allen?  Or 3rd round picks, for that matter...

Tre White.....and.......wait for it...........Ed Oliver.  He is improving, yeah he should be better at this stage but he is improving.  Just looking at #1 picks.....

We have a very fast defense as it is; some times it's our weakness.

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Tre White.....and.......wait for it...........Ed Oliver.  He is improving, yeah he should be better at this stage but he is improving.  Just looking at #1 picks.....

Nah; Oliver is about where Edmunds is; on the "to be replaced" list.

34 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Pass rushers(2)

#4 - MLB that can cover

Your #3 and #5 would be more like my 1 and 2.

Priorities need to be the passing game first and foremost, and then stopping the opponents passing game.  

Running/catching TE; John Brown replacement at WR; improvements on offensive line where can get them.

On D: need a real middle linebacker, better talent on the line all up and down it; and if at all possible, a gifted edge rusher.  Another cover CB would be great too.  

Edited by Nextmanup

3 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

#4 should be #1 or at least #2

Edmonds is a freak, but hes a clueless freak. Can coaches correct this? He's still young.

McD seems so hell-bent on making him the next Luke Kuechly that he doesn't seem to get this.

He's a very talented player being forced into a role he's ill-suited for.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Pass rushers(2)

#4 - MLB that can cover

Knox is actually one of the league's faster tight ends (4.58 40 time).

13 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Beane did not draft Tre White.  And Ed Oliver is not living up to his draft status.

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re not really suggesting Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Ed Oliver are busts....are you?

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Beane did not draft Tre White.  And Ed Oliver is not living up to his draft status.

You didn’t specifically mention Beane but you are now.

Diggs was our first round pick this year....I would say it worked out.

Since we didn’t have a true 1 tech with Star opting out, Oliver filled that role a lot.  

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You’re not really suggesting Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Ed Oliver are busts....are you?

You didn’t specifically mention Beane but you are now.

Diggs was our first round pick this year....I would say it worked out.

Since we didn’t have a true 1 tech with Star opting out, Oliver filled that role a lot.  

I don’t think Oliver is a bust, but that was not a good use of the 8th overall pick.  He looks like he’s barely better than a JAG-level player.  He doesn’t push the pocket; he doesn’t get after the passer, which we were told he would be able to do.  And Beane did not draft Dawkins.  Under Beane, our day-two picks have been awful.  The Ford pick in particular sticks in my craw because (1) we traded up for him, and (2) there were a TON of offensive playmakers on the board whom we ignored.  

And I hate to say it, but I don’t give Beane huge props for the Diggs deal.  It worked out well, but anyone could see that Diggs was a already a very good player, so trading a first (and more) for him was hardly a stroke of genius.  And of course the WR Minn drafted with that pick is an ORY candidate, so there’s that.

• Eyeroll 1

But isn't our defense built around speed? Haven't we been hearing all year (well, mostly the first half of the year) that it's the lack of size up the middle that allows teams to run rampant on us?

I'm not sure we can fight their 1,000 square mile wildfire of an offense with our own fire. Pressure on the QB isn't just about more speed, and there's no way any defensive backfield can stick with their speedburners.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don’t think Oliver is a bust, but that was not a good use of the 8th overall pick.  He looks like he’s barely better than a JAG-level player.  He doesn’t push the pocket; he doesn’t get after the passer, which we were told he would be able to do.  And Beane did not draft Dawkins.  Under Beane, our day-two picks have been awful.  The Ford pick in particular sticks in my craw because (1) we traded up for him, and (2) there were a TON of offensive playmakers on the board whom we ignored.  

And I hate to say it, but I don’t give Beane huge props for the Diggs deal.  It worked out well, but anyone could see that Diggs was a already a very good player, so trading a first (and more) for him was hardly a stroke of genius.  And of course the WR Minn drafted with that pick is an ORY candidate, so there’s that.

Diggs stopped showing up with the Vikings because he was unhappy with this production in the offense....he was considered a diva.

Beane still pulled the trigger and gave up a good amount to get him.  

Yeah Diggs was already a very good player but you are going to be lying to me if you thought he was going to have the 6th most receptions in a single season in NFL history.  Nah....not huge props.  You knew Diggs was going to be this good right?  The ROI is incredible on this trade.

Here are other WR that were traded for 1st round picks.....any of them have a year Diggs had?  This is a few years old but as you can see....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/share.fcgi?id=JDI5G

He has been here 3 out of the 4 years, he has his fingerprints all over this roster and hit on the QB that many analysts saw as a guaranteed bus....he pulled the trigger and traded up.  He got the most important piece.