Bills 2021 Free Agents

BillsMafi$

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

maybe not every play— that is probably an exaggeration. But they needed to double Jones more. I am pretty sure he was 1 on 1 with Mongo all night.  Steelers blitz a lot too— and the Bills figured out how to double Hayward, block Watt, and protect Allen. 

and in two games vs the chiefs, Jones and Frank Clark completely dominated.  Idk....I think that we need a couple better interior OL.  Jones is a problem that isn’t going away. 

Just now, Do The Reich Thing said:

Feliciano was off yesterday. He hasn't made a career of getting rag dolled.

I mean....he kind of has.  He hasn’t been good in pass protection.  Watch the tape.  He’s below average in that regard

DE Trent Murphy - Let walk
TE Tyler Kroft - Let walk
LB Matt Milano - Resign
CB Josh Norman - Let walk
OL Ty Nsekhe - Let walk
OL Jon Feliciano - Resign
OL Brian Winters - Let walk
WR Andre Roberts - Let walk
OL Daryl Williams - Resign (Maybe)
QB Matt Barkley - Let walk
RB Taiwan Jones - Resign
RB TJ Yeldon - Let walk
S Dean Marlowe - Resign
WR Isaiah McKenzie - Resign
CB Levi Wallace - Resign
LB Andre Smith - Whatever

I think most of our olinemen are average. That's fine, but I'd like to see some efforts at upgrading them over the next few years.

We need to get a pass rusher. Somehow, someway.

We need to fix the running game. I think scheme and blocking is the biggest issue, but I wouldn't mind drafting a better running back too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

The bolded is the only reason why resigning Milano to a hefty contract isn’t a no brainer. Availability has been a serious issue with him. All of the other arguments against resigning him are exaggerations at best. The only question is wether or not this team can afford to gamble a lot of cap space on his health.

I just don't think I agree that availability has been a "serious issue" with Milano.

In his first season, he played all 16 games. In his second season, he played 13 games before breaking his leg. A leg break, to me, is a freak accident that can happen to anyone, and does not indicate any kind of "injury prone" or "delicate" label.

Despite breaking his leg late in the season, he returned to play 15 games the next season. This year, he missed six games.

Missing three games to a broken leg and then missing just one game the next year doesn't concern me. This year was actually the first time he's missed an extended period of time. 

All in all, Milano has played in 54 out of a possible 64 regular season games. Three of those ten games he missed were due to a broken leg. I just don't see the "serious availability concerns".

• Agree 1

Bills can create a large amount of cap space by making the following cuts:

John Brown( +7.93 million)

Quinton Jefferson(+6.5 mil)

Vernon Butler(+6.8 mil)

Tyler Matakevich(+3.35 mil)

EJ Gaines(+850K)

Lee Smith(+2.25 mil)

This would save them about 27.7 million in cap space and give them about 30 million overall.

Assuming Star is back next year, one of the DT's is not needed...we can always restructure contracts as well to free up cap space...Hughes and Morse would on the radar for that...can't cut Morse because you are still costing over 5 mil in dead cap space, but he definitely is not earning his 10 million dollar salary.

Milano market value probably in the 13 million range, Williams probably 5 or 6 million, McKenzie maybe 2 million, Feliciano maybe 4-5 million...

Beane will be busy making some cap moves I am sure to free up money, interested to see how he does it.

Maybe we keep Gaines since he played so well for us when healthy, but he is always hurt so I am not sure he can be counted on.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

and in two games vs the chiefs, Jones and Frank Clark completely dominated.  Idk....I think that we need a couple better interior OL.  Jones is a problem that isn’t going away. 

I mean....he kind of has.  He hasn’t been good in pass protection.  Watch the tape.  He’s below average in that regard

I agree. But I think the oline needs to be built up through the draft over the next few years. Feliciano is an average player. In fact that's what everyone on the line is. Dawkins is above average. Maybe Morse too (although he isn't very strong). The rest are average or below average.

I think we should stick with the current oline going forward with the goal of trying to upgrade over time.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Bills can create a large amount of cap space by making the following cuts:

John Brown( +7.93 million)

Quinton Jefferson(+6.5 mil)

Vernon Butler(+6.8 mil)

Tyler Matakevich(+3.35 mil)

EJ Gaines(+850K)

Lee Smith(+2.25 mil)

This would save them about 27.7 million in cap space and give them about 30 million overall.

Assuming Star is back next year, one of the DT's is not needed...we can always restructure contracts as well to free up cap space...Hughes and Morse would on the radar for that...can't cut Morse because you are still costing over 5 mil in dead cap space, but he definitely is not earning his 10 million dollar salary.

Milano market value probably in the 13 million range, Williams probably 5 or 6 million, McKenzie maybe 2 million, Feliciano maybe 4-5 million...

Beane will be busy making some cap moves I am sure to free up money, interested to see how he does it.

Maybe we keep Gaines since he played so well for us when healthy, but he is always hurt so I am not sure he can be counted on.

If we cut John Brown I guess that means we need to invest in the position elsewhere, like a draft pick or free agent signing.

Brown is good. He isn't great. But this year he was injured all year. Maybe give him a chance to get healthy and back to contributing.

If the team decides to move on, though, I'm ok with it.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

My wish list would be;

Roberts for sure ( EVERY kick was out of the end zone....you saw the respect there ) Amazing to me no one sees his value!  How many times did the Bills have a short field due to him??

Milano would be nice

Feliciano and Willams

Wallace at a team friendly deal....can't have enough depth there....

Roberts return yardage is impressive. Still hasn't broken one for a TD though. He's old, and Cordarelle Patterson is a free agent.

Just now, Logic said:

I just don't think I agree that availability has been a "serious issue" with Milano.

In his first season, he played all 16 games. In his second season, he played 13 games before breaking his leg. A leg break, to me, is a freak accident that can happen to anyone, and does not indicate any kind of "injury prone" or "delicate" label.

Despite breaking his leg late in the season, he returned to play 15 games the next season. This year, he missed six games.

Missing three games to a broken leg and then missing just one game the next year doesn't concern me. This year was actually the first time he's missed an extended period of time. 

All in all, Milano has played in 54 out of a possible 64 regular season games. Three of those ten games he missed were due to a broken leg. I just don't see the "serious availability concerns".

It’s more a matter of there being some injury every season. My personal opinion is that it’s irrelevant in deciding to bring Milano back, but it may influence guaranteed money and/ incentive and bonus money. More than anything else I’d like to see them bring Milano back and get a solid LB with a similar skill set so the defense doesn’t fall apart if he goes out. This team is at the point where a loss or two can dramatically influence playoff positioning. LB depth was a serious issue at the beginning of this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

DE Trent Murphy
TE Tyler Kroft
LB Matt Milano
CB Josh Norman
OL Ty Nsekhe
OL Jon Feliciano
OL Brian Winters
WR Andre Roberts
OL Daryl Williams
QB Matt Barkley
RB Taiwan Jones
RB TJ Yeldon
S Dean Marlowe
WR Isaiah McKenzie
CB Levi Wallace
LB Andre Smith

Out of this list, I'd like to keep Milano, Filiciano, Williams, Marlowe, McKenzie and Wallace.  

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

DE Trent Murphy
TE Tyler Kroft
LB Matt Milano
CB Josh Norman
OL Ty Nsekhe
OL Jon Feliciano
OL Brian Winters
WR Andre Roberts
OL Daryl Williams
QB Matt Barkley
RB Taiwan Jones
RB TJ Yeldon
S Dean Marlowe
WR Isaiah McKenzie
CB Levi Wallace
LB Andre Smith

You actually left a couple out

Boettger, Bojorquez also FA and Wallace are all RFA so would sign them cheap.

Of the unrestricted, I'd try to resign: Feliciano, Williams, Milano, McKenzie, Jones, Roberts, and Barkley (they need a #2 QB so unless they can find someone better for similar $$ why not him)  Some like McKenzie, Jones, and Roberts won't break the bank, some of the others will.

I'd also let Morse, Brown, Butler all walk, maybe Addison too if could sign a more high impact edge rusher.  Then redo the contracts of Hyde, Smith, and Matakevich to lower cap hit.  Likely a couple others the team will also redo to lower cap.

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree. But I think the oline needs to be built up through the draft over the next few years. Feliciano is an average player. In fact that's what everyone on the line is. Dawkins is above average. Maybe Morse too (although he isn't very strong). The rest are average or below average.

I think we should stick with the current oline going forward with the goal of trying to upgrade over time.

If we cut John Brown I guess that means we need to invest in the position elsewhere, like a draft pick or free agent signing.

Brown is good. He isn't great. But this year he was injured all year. Maybe give him a chance to get healthy and back to contributing.

If the team decides to move on, though, I'm ok with it.

And the chiefs OL is even worse.  Not sure how we’re going to get a Chris Jones, but we desperately need one.  

the chiefs have 6 elite players at key positions.....playing alongside a bunch of overachievers that buy in.  Our 3 elite players were neutralized.  White was  neutralized by 3 of their elite players (hill, Kelce and Mahomes).  Allen and Diggs were both neutralized by Chris Jones and Frank Clark.  Breeland did a great job on Diggs again too.  Eager to see how much he was holding him though

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Anyone who has seen the difference in statistical production of our defense with and without Milano — last night not withstanding — can see he should be a top priority to re-sign. Many Bills fans are way too willing to let him walk, and many more mistakenly think he’d be easy to replace.

Re-sign Milano, Feliciano, Williams. Tender Wallace and see if you can get McKenzie and Marlowe back for cheap. Everyone else can walk.

I like Marlowe.  He is a good back up and can start when needed and play well.  He’s been great for 2 years (I think 3).

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Cut Morse and give Feliciano $5m per year. Cut Brown and find a way to re-sign Williams. Those cuts and re-signings basically offset and don’t make us worse.  Losing Williams or Feliciano makes us worse.  

Agreed, but, Feliciano got worked yesterday.

1 hour ago, MWK said:

DE Trent Murphy-NO
TE Tyler Kroft-No, we didn't use him at all late in the season
LB Matt Milano-Maybe, if the price isn't too high
CB Josh Norman-No thanks
OL Ty Nsekhe-Yes, he is a good backup if he comes cheap 
OL Jon Feliciano-No, I think he's overrated and will be overpaid come free agency. Good dude and not bad, but will be overpaid
OL Brian Winters-NO
WR Andre Roberts-Yes
OL Daryl Williams-Yes, he has been pretty good this year and we don't have a replacement for him
QB Matt Barkley-No, we should upgrade
RB Taiwan Jones-Why not
RB TJ Yeldon-I would, but they clearly don't like him for some reason. 
S Dean Marlowe-Yes
WR Isaiah McKenzie-Yes, such a useful player
CB Levi Wallace-Yes, will be cheap. Don't mind him as long as he isn't a full-time starter
LB Andre Smith-Who cares

Cut 

DT Vernon Butler-Easy choice with Star coming back

DT Quinton Jefferson-Major disappointment, has barely made any plays

DE Mario Addison-Has done nothing to live up to his 3 year contract

WR John Brown-Love the guy and would love to keep him, but the cap math probably won't work out

I like your lists and thoughts.  Only change would be Butler.  And, depending how FA plays out.  We may not have to cut all those guys.  We have time to decide.

2 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Would like to see the following return:

- Milano at a reasonable rate

- Norman at vet min

- Feliciano and Daryl Williams. Move on from Morse

- Yeldon and Jones

- McKenzie and Roberts

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but according to Spotrac, it quite literally costs just as much to cut Morse as it does to keep him at this point (for 2021). So, keeping him but Drafting a 1st / 2nd Round Center or getting another FA would make more sense, IMHO. Having a quality back-up Center, presumably Morse, is key in sustaining the winning week to week, as we've witnessed this year. 

Edit: Morse would save ~$5.5 next season

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mitch-morse-16773/ 

Edited by BigBuff423
Correction on Morse Contract
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

Roberts return yardage is impressive. Still hasn't broken one for a TD though. He's old, and Cordarelle Patterson is a free agent.

I didn't see much of a drop off for Roberts at all and he did come close a few times for sure and I doubt Cordy fits into the process.....but what do I know?

2 hours ago, MJS said:

DE Trent Murphy - Let walk
TE Tyler Kroft - Let walk
LB Matt Milano - Resign
CB Josh Norman - Let walk
OL Ty Nsekhe - Let walk
OL Jon Feliciano - Resign
OL Brian Winters - Let walk
WR Andre Roberts - Let walk
OL Daryl Williams - Resign (Maybe)
QB Matt Barkley - Let walk
RB Taiwan Jones - Resign
RB TJ Yeldon - Let walk
S Dean Marlowe - Resign
WR Isaiah McKenzie - Resign
CB Levi Wallace - Resign
LB Andre Smith - Whatever

I think most of our olinemen are average. That's fine, but I'd like to see some efforts at upgrading them over the next few years.

We need to get a pass rusher. Somehow, someway.

We need to fix the running game. I think scheme and blocking is the biggest issue, but I wouldn't mind drafting a better running back too.

I like it.  Totally agree.

2 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

That’s right, Klein isn’t covering anyone.  But I’m not interested in overpaying Milano because you don’t want to throw Dean Marlowe or whoever onto the field on 3rd and long.

Just reinforces setting the exact dollar number well pay correctly and sticking to it

4years at 55m projected (13.75aav) is roughly what I'm seeing based on shaq Thompsons contract. Im not a salary cap guy but thats not a horrifying number. Im mostly concerned with creating a new hole that will be hard to replace and or using draft capital that could be used elsewhere. Maybe Beane can get creative with his cap #

Edited by BillsShredder83
Added info

2 hours ago, Logic said:

In between on the potential issues.  He has hamstring issues and  had them in College.  It’s a legitimate concern.