Are the fans an issue?

ToBillsFan

Please hear me out and don’t just assume I’m trying to cause problems because I don’t think what I’m about to write is true but it’s a thought.

The Bills and mainly Josh had an outstanding season and nobody can deny that. They did it though with empty stands, so in turn a simulated practice setting. This took away some of the noise and pressures of performing in front of others. Yesterday seemed to be the closest setting to a full stadium that we’ve seen all season and the Bills look overwhelmed and outmatched. We have already seen Josh get rattled in previous years under the spotlight and yesterday was a memory of that. Like I said I really don’t think that is the case but we will see next season when hopefully fans return, whether or not that added pressure and noise has a negative impact.

This is an open discussion and I love my Bills and Josh especially so this is not to stir up any kind of negativity.

Edited by ToBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Better not be an issue. When things (hopefully) get back to normal the team will be playing to packed stadiums both at home and on the road. Last night KC showed they are a lot better than the Bills. That is why the Bills lost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

There were like 12 people there, these guys are used to playing with 70,000+ weekly. I don't think the few fans at the stadium made much of a difference.

We were beaten by a better team with a better gameplan. Periodt

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it is fair to suggest Josh can get rattled at times, and when he does get rattled, he doesn't perform well and is prone to making really bone headed mistakes.

He probably should have been picked 3 times last night.

This needs to be worked on and in theory will naturally go away with more age and experience. 

Does the crowd or lack of it have something to do with all this?

Very possibly, yes.

If I was on the team and inexperienced, I personally would enjoy the empty stadiums.  I don't know how that doesn't calm things down and make it seem more like a routine practice.

2 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Nah, I think Pat Mahomes, clearly the best player in the league, is the issue.

The crowd isn't the *sole* reason why we lost.  It's probably not even in the top 5 reasons why we lost.

But the question was did it have an impact at all.

I think it did.

The way our offensive line played last night, I would be shocked if Josh Allen didn't get rattled. If any QB gets pressured like that, they will get rattled.

Despite that, Allen was doing all he could to get the offense moving.

The fans/crowd noise is a lesser issue, if it's an issue at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

Please here me out and don’t just assume I’m trying to cause problems because I don’t think what I’m about to write is true but it’s a thought.

The Bills and mainly Josh had an outstanding season and nobody can deny that. They did it though with empty stands, so in turn a simulated practice setting. This took away some of the noise and pressures of performing in front of others. Yesterday seemed to be the closest setting to a full stadium that we’ve seen all season and the Bills look overwhelmed and outmatched. We have already seen Josh get rattled in previous years under the spotlight and yesterday was a memory of that. Like I said I really don’t think that is the case but we will see next season when hopefully fans return, whether or not that added pressure and noise has a negative impact.

This is an open discussion and I love my Bills and Josh especially so this is not to stir up any kind of negativity.

I think even Patrick suffered a loss in first attempt at championship game,  Josh will learn from this one but the players around him also need to do better.  Had our defence create a couple of turnovers that would have helped.  Frazier played a soft zone allowing KC to both chew clock and score,  no attempt to get shots into Mahomes and make him uncomfortable after return with both a bad toe anfd concussion.  KC's plan was to rush hard off the ends forcing Josh to step up,  KC also knows Mitch Morse's weakness is standing up to a hard push up the middle which forced Allen to back peddle over stepping up in the pocket.  How many plays did we see Allen back peddling towards his own endzone?  I remember the one 3rd a goal from inside the 5 yard liner line where Allen threw the ball from outside of his own 15

Get him a feature RB with speed along with an attacking defence that gets turnovers and Allen will be just fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Miami had fans in the stands when they play there. How many other games had fans? 

Titans game had fans.

But then the first game against KC didn't.

This thought had crossed my mind a few times recently but we won't know if there's anything to it until next season. I do think the lack of fans has helped with certain QBs developments, especially some of the rookies.

Josh is a guy who obviously gets very pumped up before games, he even said he listens to more chilled music now to bring him down a bit before games, so I absolutely think with these big games the addition of the crowd pumps him up even more and maybe makes it harder for him to calm down.

But it's more likely the fact that it's a new experience. Last year's WC he went nuts for a while and looked shaken on the sidelines. This year against the Colts he kept his cool for pretty much the whole game. Yes it was at home but he'd been in that situation before.

If he reaches another Championship game next year I'd expect him to handle it much better, even if the game is going badly as it did yesterday.

29 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

Please here me out and don’t just assume I’m trying to cause problems because I don’t think what I’m about to write is true but it’s a thought.

If this is truly an issue, then Josh Allen isn't the right guy.

That said - I believe 100% that he IS the right guy.  We got our asses kicked yesterday because we played a team that was a lot more talented on offense AND defense; and their coaching staff is much better than ours.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic was bound to come up and it's a valid concern in my opinion

During his draft year what did we hear - looks good in shorts ie. A practice setting

Fast forward to week 1 of 2020 post game press conference - what does bill belichick compare playing in front of no fans to.....practice

Do I think Allen can't play in front of crowds, no I don't but I do think having little to no crowd help him develop throughout the season

I think Allen, and his ability to get rattled/hype too easily, is a valid concern.  

I do think it's something that he can work at, and is something that will naturally dissipate with experience.   

That said, it's all the more reason we need our coaches/players to help lift him up in these moments.  When we know he is susceptible to this and a guy like Devin Singletary drops a pass in the game/situation that he did, it can spiral.  Especially when the OL was struggling and the WR's couldn't win their battles.  

He needs a safety valve.  Whether that's a big target Tight End or a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield, last night made that painfully obvious.  

KC took away our haymaker (WR's).  We developed no other punches throughout the course of the season.  That's not Championship Caliber Football to be that unbalanced....especially with a wildly average Defense. 

Get Allen a jab that he can fall back on and I think his sugar rush moments will start to fade away - no matter what the crowd is like.

Edited by SCBills

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The way our offensive line played last night, I would be shocked if Josh Allen didn't get rattled. If any QB gets pressured like that, they will get rattled.

Despite that, Allen was doing all he could to get the offense moving.

The fans/crowd noise is a lesser issue, if it's an issue at all. 

Exactly.

Snap the ball, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississi-crap!!!, run for your life. 

• Agree 2