Gotta vent here a little

Steptide

3 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

You play to win the game, not to keep the score close.  Whatever the likelihood of either being converted was, the simple fact was that the Bills D couldn't stop them.  They NEEDED tds to keep up and instead kicked pointless FGs

This is exactly it. Teams and fans need to stop thinking this Chiefs offense can be stopped. The fact is you can't and no one has, so stop expecting your defense to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Protocal69 said:

Bills would have been better off rushing 3 and doubling Kelsey since 4 wasn’t getting home anyway

Early on, I would have played tight man and brought everybody to test Mahomes mentally and physically (toe). 

I thought the coaching in the game was a disappointing back step as well.

The field goal attempts in particular were the types of things this coaching staff had improved beyond during this season.

They regressed last night and McDermott looked as he did earlier in his HC career, when he was a lot dumber and much more conservative than what he blossomed into this year.

But as I like to point out, you don't play 5 win teams in the playoffs! 

KC is elite; you only play elite teams at this stage of the game.

We were only going to win with our best game of the year, and we brought one of our lesser games! 

Case closed!

13 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

You play to win the game, not to keep the score close.  Whatever the likelihood of either being converted was, the simple fact was that the Bills D couldn't stop them.  They NEEDED tds to keep up and instead kicked pointless FGs

This, bolded and until McD does this consistently, I feel the Bills will not be able to take the next step. 

His conservativeness should have had the Colts win that game and the Ravens were going to tie it at 10 late and who knows from there, then the Chiefs, lose by a little philosophy, pfft McD needs to be a whole lot better or he is destined to only be a playoff caliber coach who could never win the big games. 

Edited by Big Gun
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

They had plenty of chances to score.  Buffalo didnt have the plays to do it.  Do you have any faith those would be TDs.  I think the game got away from them.  I dont like it.  I questioned it than.   Overall, now I think Buffalo gets stopped and the game is lost much earlier. 

42 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

That creative game plan made me sick the entire game.  I have not felt that once this year. 

Yes there were big drops by Singletary & Brown but last night was the first time all year our 3 primary coaches got taken to the woodshed. They may have thought they had a plan but it wasn't the right plan.

59 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

A new Defensive Coordinator may be in order?

Maybe. But how quickly we forget that the D played lights out against the Ravens last week, and generally improved from the Bye on--I'm just not sure if it's so much schematic at this point against KC vs. personnel/matchups? 

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Cant waste plays in the red zone. The dumb 1st, 2nd down plays haunt:

- handing off to Dingletary for 0 gain

- slow-developing roll out right (on short side of the field)

Everyone saw that Singletary run coming.

Part of why the team sucks at running the ball is because they telegraph it.

It seemed to me that the Chiefs blitzed a lot and the Bills were not ready to counter it.  Yeldon did pretty well getting 5+ yards on a couple of screens and Devin dropped the one that would have gone for a big gain.  I remember one hot read to Brown that beat the blitz.  They needed more of these screens and quick slants to counter the blitz.  Instead, Allen was dropping back and running around to try and keep the play alive.  He had to throw a couple away and lost big yardage on the ones he didn't throw away.  I give credit to the Chiefs for covering our WRs pretty well, and maybe injuries played a role in our WRs not getting open.  Over all, the Offensive play calling wasn't very good.

Like others, I am not too upset with the Bills defense.  The Chiefs are going to score and put up points on everyone.  The problem is that the Bills also should be able to (and in this game had to) score and put up points to match the Chiefs and they didn't.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We did start blitzing and when we did it turned into a HUGE play or a TD every single time.

I counted 4 blitzes (we didn't do it a lot). All got burned bad. 

On defense there was no adjustment that would have turned the tide. We tried to mix in some man 2nd half, we tried to throw a few blitzes... none of it worked. We have to play zone. We just have to play it better and with the current personnel not sure how possible that is.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Gotta be honest, I'm pissed. I'm proud of this team for making it as far as they did, they exceeded my expectations, and this season as a whole was a lot of fun 

Having said that, I have no idea what this coaching staff was thinking last night. I love McDermott and generally I love what daboll has done this season. Admittedly, I have no idea what goes into a week leading up to an NFL game. I'm not there obviously, but the plan going into this game (offensively and defensively) was just putrid. An extreme lack of aggression on offense and defense cost us greatly in this game. After the first half, I thought we should start blitzing heavily. Kc was tearing up our d with short throws. The bills just stuck to the plan, and never seemed to change their scheme. On offense, and this is probably partly on Josh, their was little creativity. I watched every game play for play this year. I know the bills offense is better than what we saw last night. To the bills credit, they were getting into scoring position at times. But field goals? Wth McDermott? This one is gonna sting for a while. Very frustrated. Why do coaches out think themselves? You're playing the best team in the nfl, what was your game plan? Arghh. Thanks for listening

I can’t believe we played soft the entire game and NEVER JAMMED KELCE ONCE!!! Everything I read and watched breaking down tape jamming Kelce was crucial and I never once saw it happen. And if it did it was far and few times. Agree with you 100% coaches lost this game. Allen was alittle his old self trying to force things but the schemes on both sides of the ball was horrible. 

No question that the coaches game plans have a lot to do with the success of the team. However, yesterday's game, at least to me, was more about individual match-ups than game plan. The Chiefs beat us individually on the line of scrimmage, their DB's, individually, outplayed our receivers, and their receivers, individually, outplayed our secondary. Perhaps on another given Sunday things might be different, but yesterday the Chiefs players were able to take it to our players individually.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Man, it's pick your poison with that KC offense.  You blitz they beat you.  You don't blitz, they still beat you.  Either way they are going to put up points

At least with a blitz, you might get to Mahomes and hurry him, deflect a ball or ....horrors physically touch him!! Mahomes barely got caressed in that game. Maybe a few hits or slightly late follow throughs might have at least put him off and bruised him up a bit. They were getting beaten anyway. That or switch to double man coverage on Kelcey.

From my view, we did not have a plan that was going to work, and it became obvious quite early in the game, it was as if we had no answers for the Chiefs game plan. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, BuffalOhio said:

I have no idea how all that happened last night.  Nobody was getting open and Josh had very little time to do anything.  He also tried to do too much at times.  The one thing to take out of this is that our front office is smart enough to know that KC is the mountain we have to climb, and they'll get us the goods to make that happen.

We need more speed at all positions.

Great teams expose another team's weaknesses.  We saw all of them yesterday.  I hope we get them addressed this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Gotta be honest, I'm pissed. I'm proud of this team for making it as far as they did, they exceeded my expectations, and this season as a whole was a lot of fun 

Having said that, I have no idea what this coaching staff was thinking last night. I love McDermott and generally I love what daboll has done this season. Admittedly, I have no idea what goes into a week leading up to an NFL game. I'm not there obviously, but the plan going into this game (offensively and defensively) was just putrid. An extreme lack of aggression on offense and defense cost us greatly in this game. After the first half, I thought we should start blitzing heavily. Kc was tearing up our d with short throws. The bills just stuck to the plan, and never seemed to change their scheme. On offense, and this is probably partly on Josh, their was little creativity. I watched every game play for play this year. I know the bills offense is better than what we saw last night. To the bills credit, they were getting into scoring position at times. But field goals? Wth McDermott? This one is gonna sting for a while. Very frustrated. Why do coaches out think themselves? You're playing the best team in the nfl, what was your game plan? Arghh. Thanks for listening

Don't forget the special teams.  Short kick off strategy that had them starting near the 40, two terrible punts and a missed extra point.   

The Chiefs defense was able to play 2 deep zone, double Diggs, plaster the Buffalo WRs, AND get pressure on Allen.

The Buffalo defense also played two deep zone, doubled nobody, plastered nobody, and got no pressure on Mahomes.

Seems that the best way to stop the Chiefs offense was to play the Chiefs defensive scheme against them.