Gotta vent here a little

Steptide

Gotta be honest, I'm pissed. I'm proud of this team for making it as far as they did, they exceeded my expectations, and this season as a whole was a lot of fun 

Having said that, I have no idea what this coaching staff was thinking last night. I love McDermott and generally I love what daboll has done this season. Admittedly, I have no idea what goes into a week leading up to an NFL game. I'm not there obviously, but the plan going into this game (offensively and defensively) was just putrid. An extreme lack of aggression on offense and defense cost us greatly in this game. After the first half, I thought we should start blitzing heavily. Kc was tearing up our d with short throws. The bills just stuck to the plan, and never seemed to change their scheme. On offense, and this is probably partly on Josh, their was little creativity. I watched every game play for play this year. I know the bills offense is better than what we saw last night. To the bills credit, they were getting into scoring position at times. But field goals? Wth McDermott? This one is gonna sting for a while. Very frustrated. Why do coaches out think themselves? You're playing the best team in the nfl, what was your game plan? Arghh. Thanks for listening

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

We did start blitzing and when we did it turned into a HUGE play or a TD every single time.

As well...Bills oline was brutal last nite after being solid all year long in pass protection...the A22 views showed our receivers as well covered...

Romo had a good take on Kelsey...jam him at the line with a LB ...Bills tried to have Trey cover him1 one 1...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

We did start blitzing and when we did it turned into a HUGE play or a TD every single time.

We did, but it was a pretty poor attempt Imo. I'd also add that who cares what it lead to? Kc was destroying us regardless. They couldn't cover any kc receivers all night 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2

Love this team, but we are just not in the same class as the Chiefs, just yet.  It is a case of "pick your poisons" when playing the Chiefs.  Not to say the coaching staff couldn't, or shouldn't have tried other things, but we just weren't beating that team last night. 

I agree completely on not going for it on 4th down, in the red-zone.  If I recall, one of those situations came at the end of the first half, and the other on the first drive of the second.  It was pretty clear, in the second quarter, the game was slipping away from the Bills...McDermott made great strides this season to get away from some of his "too conservative" leanings, but last night, he reverted to form. Trading TD's for field goals was not going to win that game. McDermott should have known that.

• Agree 1

I have no idea how all that happened last night.  Nobody was getting open and Josh had very little time to do anything.  He also tried to do too much at times.  The one thing to take out of this is that our front office is smart enough to know that KC is the mountain we have to climb, and they'll get us the goods to make that happen.

We need more speed at all positions.

19 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Gotta be honest, I'm pissed. I'm proud of this team for making it as far as they did, they exceeded my expectations, and this season as a whole was a lot of fun 

Having said that, I have no idea what this coaching staff was thinking last night. I love McDermott and generally I love what daboll has done this season. Admittedly, I have no idea what goes into a week leading up to an NFL game. I'm not there obviously, but the plan going into this game (offensively and defensively) was just putrid. An extreme lack of aggression on offense and defense cost us greatly in this game. After the first half, I thought we should start blitzing heavily. Kc was tearing up our d with short throws. The bills just stuck to the plan, and never seemed to change their scheme. On offense, and this is probably partly on Josh, their was little creativity. I watched every game play for play this year. I know the bills offense is better than what we saw last night. To the bills credit, they were getting into scoring position at times. But field goals? Wth McDermott? This one is gonna sting for a while. Very frustrated. Why do coaches out think themselves? You're playing the best team in the nfl, what was your game plan? Arghh. Thanks for listening

I think they were are eating wings and drinking beer all week. They obviously just used the exact same game plan as last time. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Man, it's pick your poison with that KC offense.  You blitz they beat you.  You don't blitz, they still beat you.  Either way they are going to put up points

As much as I think going for it made sense in both instances, I questioned the likley hood of either being converted.  Take away the muffed punt 3 yardline start, Buffalo was dreadful in the redzone offensively all night.  Seemed like Kc had Buffalo figured out all night.

FG's didn't matter...  If we don't kick the FG's the game would have ended 38-18.  We likely weren't scoring TDs on those 4th downs.  Our offense wasn't getting any easy looks.  They probably should have gone for the second one though.

The big back breakers were the Singletary drop to kill a 3rd down conversion with a lead in KC territory and the INT while still trying to get back into it.. and the 15 yard running backwards sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

As much as I think going for it made sense in both instances, I questioned the likley hood of either being converted.  Take away the muffed punt 3 yardline start, Buffalo was dreadful in the redzone offensively all night.  Seemed like Kc had Buffalo figured out all night.

You play to win the game, not to keep the score close.  Whatever the likelihood of either being converted was, the simple fact was that the Bills D couldn't stop them.  They NEEDED tds to keep up and instead kicked pointless FGs

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Man, it's pick your poison with that KC offense.  You blitz they beat you.  You don't blitz, they still beat you.  Either way they are going to put up points

When you don't blitz, yet have 7 in zone coverage and the 4/5 receivers are open by 10 yards, something is wrong with the coaching schemes/philosophy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We ran into a Chiefs offense that was firing on all cylinders. To beat the Chiefs you need to out score them. I put more blame on the offense than I do the defense. We were not prepared for the shootout. You can’t beat the chiefs kicking field goals. I said it after we went up 3-0. I said it every time we kicked a field goal

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Like (+1) 1