Who's your one pass catcher to add? Draft, Free Agency or Trade.

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I think a TE would benefit us the most.. Between Diggs and Davis I think we have pretty good talent at WR.. Let McKenzie and Beasley man that slot position.. No idea what the draft board looks like at this time but I also think DE is a massive priority. I’m hoping JJ Watt gets cut and the Bills bring him in on a decent team friendly deal.. I think DE, TE and WR are our greatest priorities going into draft/free agency..

I have issues with Knox, but honestly, he played well last night. Perhaps more importantly, he’s very talented physically. I’m a believer in talent and coaching it up over time. Maybe he advances to the next level given his talent.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I totally agree about Tight End. But great ones don't grow on trees. Even hard to find really good ones. 

How are we more than fine at WR with Brown and Beasley getting older? I think we get one more good year our of Beasley but I'm not at all confident in getting another good year out of Brown.  I'd take an elite Tight End over a receiver if we can find one. But that's the tricky part. 

Zach Ertz is a possible option.  He might be too expensive, but it would be nice if we could get him on a contract that we can get out of in a year or two with no dead $ involved.  I think we need to get younger at WR for sure, just not spend big $ on another vet.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Their guys have size. I feel like that's what we are missing. Mike Evans and Chris Godwin is a good starting point for any team. 

I'm going off of how Mahomes contract was done. Mahomes wasn't paid ridiculous money this year even though he signed his extension last off season.

He would be great but Robinson will probably be the highest paid receiver in free agency. We also already have a do it all guy in Diggs. I think we can get by with more of a one trick pony 6'4" deep threat type guy. Would really compliment Diggs and take advantage of Allen's arm.

Yes he will, But with so much of our production relying on WR probably be worth it. And he is great at every level like Diggs is. We could do other things but KC has two elite pass catchers, if we want to catch up we got to match them there first. 

I think the draft is the obvious place to add a WR at this point if we do tinker with the position. It's not at the top of my list of biggest priorities this offseason, but I would like to continue adding young talent to the WR group and I think it's worth consideration even with our 1st round pick. I haven't scouted much at all yet, but I'd be aiming to replace McKenzie in the offense. Brown could theoretically be replaced via a larger role for Gabriel Davis if we ultimately cut him; different skill set but that's where Davis would slot in. I'd like to add a guy that can do all the fun stuff that we do with McKenzie while also being an actual wide receiver. The two I've seen so far that fit that would be Kadarius Toney and Rondale Moore (I think there's another similar guy that Jeremiah mentioned in his first mock draft but I haven't seen him at all yet). Toney would be an option with our 1st round pick. Moore is currently viewed as a Day 2 option; he was incredible, arguably the best we've ever seen from a true freshman at WR, but he's only played 7 games the last 2 seasons soooooo yeah...

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think that's even remotely true. Can you explain yourself?

Tampa has two guys that are probably top 10 WRs in Evans/Godwin, plus Antonio Brown who is still very good. At TE they have Gronk and Brate (and the injury-riddled OJ Howard), all of whom would be upgrades over our best TE.

I disagree with Tampa having "a lot more" but I do think their weapons are clearly better and more plentiful.

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I have issues with Knox, but honestly, he played well last night. Perhaps more importantly, he’s very talented physically. I’m a believer in talent and coaching it up over time. Maybe he advances to the next level given his talent.

Knox is definitely worth a roster spot.. I don’t think he’ll ever a premier/elite TE though. Bills could use a Kelce/Gronk type of upgrade there.. Think if that happens our offense should be in good shape.. More twin TE sets, which is great for pounding the ball with no drop off in our passing game. I think that would clearly upgrade our running attack as well which would balance out the offense. More play action as well, which Josh thrives at. No more 10:1 passing to running ratio, need balance.

• Like (+1) 1

Ertz.  Championship pedigree and in the Kelce mode.  Same age as Kelce also.  Nobody’s as good as Kelce but he’s still a top TE.  Philly is a dumpster fire and way over the cap. Put Ertz and Fletcher Cox on this team, and we significantly close the gap with KC.  
Cut Morse and Brown on offense.  Re-sign Feliciano and Williams.  RB’s are cheap and easy to find if McBeane finally comes to grips with Singletary not being the answer.  

More than enough fat to cut on the DL to offset Cox’s $16m per year price tag.  Cox would make everybody better on the DL.  Oliver, Hughes, Epenesa, and maybe you keep Jefferson because of his versatility.  Addison and one of Butler/Star goes to pay for Cox. Give Milano no more than $8m per year.  Draft a big nickel with 1st round pick. I’m figuring 2nd and 4th round pick for Cox and Ertz. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Ertz.  Championship pedigree and in the Kelce mode.  Same age as Kelce also.  Nobody’s as good as Kelce but he’s still a top TE.  Philly is a dumpster fire and way over the cap. Put Ertz and Fletcher Cox on this team, and we significantly close the gap with KC.  
Cut Morse and Brown on offense.  Re-sign Feliciano and Williams.  RB’s are cheap and easy to find if McBeane finally comes to grips with Singletary not being the answer.  

More than enough fat to cut on the DL to offset Cox’s $16m per year price tag.  Cox would make everybody better on the DL.  Oliver, Hughes, Epenesa, and maybe you keep Jefferson because of his versatility.  Addison and one of Butler/Star goes to pay for Cox. Give Milano no more than $8m per year.  Draft a big nickel with 1st round pick. I’m figuring 2nd and 4th round pick for Cox and Ertz. 

We're not trading high draft capital like that. So end your fantasy right now. And I don't even think we have a 4th because of the Diggs trade.

The only way we'd sign them is if they're cap casualties.

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ain’t gonna happen. The Bills are $2.5 million under the cap and have to pay Allen a boatload of money, which they will. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Basically, they need to draft well.

Any extra money Allen gets will not be next year, it will be an extension that won't kick in until 2022.  He will still be on his original rookie deal next year that is already accounted for.

56 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

We are more than fine at WR, no reason to pay big money for anyone.  If they want to draft one in the early rounds, then I can get behind that - Beasley and Brown are getting older.  Tight End would be a big plus though

Disagree.  our passing game struggled in all 3 playoff games going up against solid teams.

Diggs and Beasley are fine; Brown is a weakness as is our total lack of an elite running/catching TE.

I would funnel top resources into an elite receiver, preferably in the form of a TE.

It's the #1 thing I would add to this team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Would you happen to know how much of a cap hit (or savings) it would it be if they cut Morse?

He counts for $10.343 million in 2021, and if they cut him his dead cap number is $5.5 million. So cutting him saves about $4.8 million.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

We are more than fine at WR, no reason to pay big money for anyone.  If they want to draft one in the early rounds, then I can get behind that - Beasley and Brown are getting older.  Tight End would be a big plus though

Tight end is tough - there are no good free agents and its a position with a steep learning curve.  Even 1st rounders tend to bloom a bit late.  

• Like (+1) 1

ENOUGH with the slightly above average role players.  

Cut guys like Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Brown, Morse etc.. 

Consolidate that money into 2 actual playmakers.  Then fill in rotation through the draft.  

KC's Defense has the 3 best defenders in the game last night... Mathieu, Jones and Clark.  They make it work with everyone else.  We have a bunch of good rotation guys, an ongoing lottery ticket at MLB, White and Poyer... Cool.... That led to a middle of the pack defense that got smoked by KC.  

The OP is onto something... Teams win with playmakers.  It wouldn't be the worst idea to overhaul the roster and consolidate cap space into another WR and/or EDGE... even if they're overpays (which an EDGE would be, because Dupree, Judon and Ngakoue aren't elite but will be paid as such). 

My one choice would be Najee Harris.  Both because he's a realistic draft pick and is a weapon in the pass game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

The Bills front office will have a ton of work to do restructuring contracts, and finding free agents who will be interested in taking less money in the first year of their contracts.   They can free up money but they will have to be clever.  

If I am them I try to go after guys with speed, but also guys with size.  That said, I hope the Bills are in on the Corey Davis sweepstakes.  He has proven he isnt a number one, but he will probably come a bit cheaper than someone like Golladay who went full A.J. Green on the Lions this year.   Davis has speed but gives you something the Bills dont currently have with a speed/size combination.