What I'm clinging to (and I'm sticking to it)

Since we got Josh:

Year 1 - learned lots, showed flashes, missed the playoffs
Year 2 - learned lots, made the playoffs, lost in the wild card
Year 3 - learned lots, made the playoffs, won in the wild card, won in the divisional round, lost in the conference championship

I hope and believe that year 4 will continue this trajectory and the hard lessons learned last night, not just by Josh but by the whole team including the coaches, will be turned into even more progress and we'll go even farther.

Remember that the Glory Days started with the AFC Championship loss to the Bengals in 1988, followed by the Bickering Bills in 1989.

#GoBills

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Since we got Josh:

Year 1 - learned lots, showed flashes, missed the playoffs
Year 2 - learned lots, made the playoffs, lost in the wild card
Year 3 - learned lots, made the playoffs, won in the wild card, won in the divisional round, lost in the conference championship

I hope and believe that year 4 will continue this trajectory and the hard lessons learned last night, not just by Josh but by the whole team including the coaches, will be turned into even more progress and we'll go even farther.

#GoBills

It’s really what this team has been about under mcdermott.  Evolving and adapting. While we didn’t evolve or adapt in the AFCCG, I expect us to do both over the next year.

• Like (+1) 2

Even going back to his High School days Josh has pretty much always been a year behind his peers. I think next year could be the year he really dominates the regular season and earns that MVP. The Chiefs will still be a juggernaut so whether they will go all the way will depend a lot on what moves Beane can pull off this off-season. As much as I love Brown and Beasley both guys are on the wrong side of 30 and had injuries this year. I think we can count on one more solid season from Beasley but not sure about Brown. Also need some more height. 

Yes - a great trajectory, let's keep it going.

Let's add to Year 3 - put up top-tier, pro-level QB numbers that we haven't seen for... 20 years? Those numbers weren't there in year 1 and 2, even as he showed flashes and improvement. The wins are important (ok, they are everything), but it's very comforting to know they are built on solid QB talent, not like some of the smoke and mirror wins we were getting once in a while in the drought years.

It's the best way to think about it, and probably reality.

The worst case scenario is what someone mentioned on another thread - Josh is Marino, and KC are Kelly's Bills, always keeping Marino and the Dolphins from that final step.

I don't think that's the case, though. The gap between the teams isn't as stark as it looked last night.  I think we'll get past that team, and it will feel that much sweeter when we do.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Even going back to his High School days Josh has pretty much always been a year behind his peers. I think next year could be the year he really dominates the regular season and earns that MVP. The Chiefs will still be a juggernaut so whether they will go all the way will depend a lot on what moves Beane can pull off this off-season. As much as I love Brown and Beasley both guys are on the wrong side of 30 and had injuries this year. I think we can count on one more solid season from Beasley but not sure about Brown. Also need some more height. 

Josh Allen had a great season and will continue to improve. He made a huge jump this season and is on his way to being one of the best in the game. 

I think Beasley had a great seaon. He was rated 13 out of 80 Wide receivers on Pro Football Focus so really good. 

I think getting a running game would be one area that would take some pressure off of the passing game. 

The defense need better pass rushers and the defensive backs probably need an upgrade to be able to cover tight ends a bit better. Although Kelce is one of the all time greats so it is tough to cover him.

I'd love to agree with this trajectory sort of thinking, but I don't think it necessarily works that way. Every season is its own and just because you are a good team there is no guarantee you will be better the next season or that other teams won't improve more than you. NFL history is filled with Super Bowl teams not even making the playoffs the following year (which really points out how remarkable and impressive even going to 4 straight Super Bowls was!). I want to be optimistic that the Bills will be as relevant for as long a time as they were irrelevant. Having Josh at QB is obviously a good start. I think he is a good combination of work ethic and physical skills. I also think that the Bill's current coaching staff and administration seems like a positive. All in all, I am hopeful but try to keep my expectations realistic.

47 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Remember that the Glory Days started with the AFC Championship loss to the Bengals in 1988, followed by the Bickering Bills in 1989.

#GoBills

So we have to go through another Bickering Bills period? If we do, it's gonna be worse due to people having Twitter now. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Think of it this way:  we have an appearance in the AFC title game as the foundation upon which we will build this off-season.

The coaching staff knows what could have been better, what is weak, what is strong, how to improve.

If we can improve 2 or 3 areas of real need, we should be a more complete team next year.

And we still have Josh on the cheap.