My reasons for the loss.

NewEra

I agree totally with the OP. 

I wish, after these beat downs, you could point to ONE deficiency and say- fix that!

But, it’s always a 1/2 dozen. In no particular order- a RB who can uhhhh run AND catch a football, a LARGE TE who doesn’t have Stone hands, LBs who can actually provide Pass coverage, much bigger Corners and Safeties against the hulk Receivers, LARGER WRs, an addition on the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

My main issue with last night is that it was too easy for the Chiefs.  AFC Championship game and we were butter...KC was the hot knife.  They flipped the switch and we had no answers.

When the game mattered, Daboll could not devise a plan.  The Bills were a one trick pony on offense, Allen to Diggs.  That pretty much fizzled in these last 2 games.  The D got manhandled in 2 of our 3 playoff games...

KC definitely has more talent on Offense and Defense.  But their schemes are better too.

It will be interesting to see if Josh can put together another season like he had.  His decision making under pressure is curious.. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I know I shouldn’t be pointing the finger at the officials, and our issues were far greater than just him, but why was Jones even on the field after that first quarter(?) punch?

This, so much this. 

That's an auto ejection, I believe? 

If the refs didn't handle it (which they looked the other way countless times last night), should have taken it into our own hands. 

Wanna play dirty? Oops just snapped your ankle, sorry. 

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I know I shouldn’t be pointing the finger at the officials, and our issues were far greater than just him, but why was Jones even on the field after that first quarter(?) punch?

I expected a personal foul.  

The refs were letting men be men for the most part.  I don’t hate that, but he should’ve been flagged for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I blame the browns.

if they had lost to the Steelers, then I think the ravens beat KC. They match up much better with them. Or the browns could have beat Henne when they had the chance. Either way, the browns are to blame. 

KC has destroyed the Ravens every time we’ve played them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I agree totally with the OP. 

I wish, after these beat downs, you could point to ONE deficiency and say- fix that!

But, it’s always a 1/2 dozen. In no particular order- a RB who can uhhhh run AND catch a football, a LARGE TE who doesn’t have Stone hands, LBs who can actually provide Pass coverage, much bigger Corners and Safeties against the hulk Receivers, LARGER WRs, an addition on the OL.

And don't leave out what I view as the biggest priority to address.  A defensive line that can neither effectively stop the run or pressure the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I expected a personal foul.  

The refs were letting men be men for the most part.  I don’t hate that, but he should’ve been flagged for sure. 

Allen's facemark was grasped last night, he was slapped in the head by a blitzing DB while in the pocket...no call on either.

The Jones punch...no call.

Defensive holding/illegal contact....called once all game.

Why have rules if they are selectively enforced and not consistently applied?

It was a comprehensive beat-down in all phases of the game, really. Hard to find an area where KC was not clearly better - Pass blocking, run blocking, QB pressure, linebackers, secondary, receivers, running game, kickoffs, coaching, scheme...

While painful to watch, at least there is no second-guessing this morning. The Bills were simply not good enough position by position, their schemes were timid, and they played with zero confidence. I think they lose that game 10 out of 10 times. 

Hopefully the off-season makes the Bills better and KC worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

1-  Coaching:  Reid dominated Frazier.  Again.  Chiefs best play makers running wide open all game.  Spags dominated Daboll.  Again. Spags disguises his coverages flawlessly. Our WRs we blanketed all game.  They have better play callers on both sides of the ball.  Mcdermott made some bad decisions.  He trusted his defense more than he trusted his offense.  That was his biggest mistake. His choice to go for two on our last TD was beyond confusing. Down 16 was the way to go at that point in the game.  Made no sense to go for it then. I can’t recall a play where we lined up 6-7 guys on the LOS and made Mahomes decipher who’s rushing.  Spags did it every 2-3 plays.  Mahomes is great vs the blitz.  So is Josh.  That didn’t stop the chiefs from bringing the heat all game.  It certainly stopped us.  Probably because we can’t run the ball worth a dam. 

2-  Cbris Jones-  he’s a complete game wrecker and the 2nd best defensive player in the league imo.  Frank Clark is a beast as well.  The afc will be going through KC for the foreseeable future.  We have to find a way to limited Jones’ effectiveness vs us going forward.  Meanwhile.....our DL was stifled by 2 7th rd picks and 2 undrafted free agents on their OL.  Mahomes was a magician in the pocket. As always.  Going almost untouched behind his OL made up of nobodies.  Spags > Josh yesterday.  

3-  Our inability to run the ball efficiently.  I said months ago that it would be our downfall in the playoffs if we couldn’t find a way to balance our offense a bit more.  It was.  I like the person, but I hope that was Singletarys last game as a Bill.  His drop was monumental.  A game changjng play. 
That can’t happen.  WIDE OPEN.  Again.  
We need to make the proper adjustments along the OL, scheme and in personnel this offseason.  Retooling our run game is paramount.  If that means that our pass protection takes slight  hit, so be it. We’re too one dimensional.  Period. 

4-  Edmunds-  Spags picked on him in coverage all game.  Every team should.  For all the physical talent he possesses, he doesn’t process fast enough.  It’s been 3 years.  How many more years will it take him to catch on. He’s always a step behind. He shouldn’t be playing MLB if we want to win the Super Bowl.  We can hide his deficiencies over the course of the season, but when we play the elite of the elite, I don’t feel as if he can survive being picked on. We thought we had two of the best coverage LBers in the league.  We have maybe the best safety duo in the league..... yet Kelce was WIDE OPEN all game.      Edmunds is only good in coverage because of his height and length.  He lacks instincts vs the run and the pass.  I don’t expect us to move on from him.  I hear we should shift him to the outside.....how will that help him in coverage?  Idk.  He’s a good player but the only goal at this point is winning the super bowl.  Winning the SB, we’re going to have to beat KC....and Kelce.  Kelce is Edmunds daddy.  

This offseason-  

-i doubt it happens now, but I’d love for Frazier to become the HC in Houston.  Great guy and he’d be a loss, but 2 3rd round draft picks and the opportunity to add a new way of thinking to our D room would be refreshing imo.  

-I hope we look deeper into this matchup vs KC and find a way to defend and attack them better.  Their weakness in D is stopping the run.  They want to play nickel and dime and we don’t have the ability to force them out of it.  They defended our pass without regard to our run game.  Our run game crippled our best asset, our pass game.  Wether we like it or not, KC is our daddy.  We have to find a way to matchup better in terms of talent, scheme and mindset. Chris Jones will continue to dominate Feliciano.  I love Jon.  I just don’t think he’s physically able to do the job vs Jones.  

-John Brown will be cut, and that’s fine.  Maybe we’ll come back at a reduced salary? Idk, but 8 mill is too rich imo.

- D. Williams or Milano.  I doubt we keep both unless they take less than market value to stay.  Whichever one leaves, finding their replacement will be paramount.  Two very important positions, especially Milano considering the defense that we employ. 

- Levi/ Norman-  maybe this was the game where we realized that we need another really quality corner to beat the chiefs?  Tyreek was wide open on ever play.  Again.... WIDE OPEN.  We rarely had a defender close to him.  Is that the scheme? Partly. Wallace and Norman aren’t fast enough to even pretend they can cover a talent like hill....and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll see him in en route to the Super Bowl every year.  Along with Kelce right next to him.  We need better matchups vs those two. 

- as mentioned earlier-  fix the run game.  Don’t ask me how.  Just fix it. We can’t continue to be this one dimensional if we want to beat this team, let alone win a super bowl. 

-  side note- sucks that Spags will probably be the Chiefs DC for the next 5+ years.  He’s really good at his job. Meanwhile....teams are contemplating Leslie Frazier as their HC, while Spags dominated in KC, winning Super Bowls.  The irony.

great season guys and gals.  I’m proud of our boys.  I’m proud of our season.  I’m proud of our fans.  I’m proud of the fight our men showed.  While it looked like we melted down emotionally in the end, I love the fire and the passion.  It was immature and I understand why others would look down on the personal fouls, I’m not a fan of the Okafor cheap shot prior and Josh let him know by throwing the ball in his face.  His protectors then protected their leader.  As they should.  I love the fight that showed.  This rivalry is real.  It’s intense. It’s not going to change. If we want the results to change, we need to change.  Not a whole lot, we’re really good.  We could’ve won with proper coaching decisions and some executed plays.  We didn’t.....but we will.  I Billieve!! 

Agree with this across the board.   1 thing that will be interesting is whether KC can afford all of these guys long term.   

Remember those screens Kelly used to throw to Thurman to completely demoralize the pass rush? We need that. 

And antonio Brown. A big giant physical wide out target for Josh that you just need to throw it NEAR him and he will out physical any DB and just go get that ball. We need that.  

Those two things would have been really helpful last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

1-  Coaching:  Reid dominated Frazier.  Again.  Chiefs best play makers running wide open all game.  Spags dominated Daboll.  Again. Spags disguises his coverages flawlessly. Our WRs we blanketed all game.  They have better play callers on both sides of the ball.  Mcdermott made some bad decisions.  He trusted his defense more than he trusted his offense.  That was his biggest mistake. His choice to go for two on our last TD was beyond confusing. Down 16 was the way to go at that point in the game.  Made no sense to go for it then. I can’t recall a play where we lined up 6-7 guys on the LOS and made Mahomes decipher who’s rushing.  Spags did it every 2-3 plays.  Mahomes is great vs the blitz.  So is Josh.  That didn’t stop the chiefs from bringing the heat all game.  It certainly stopped us.  Probably because we can’t run the ball worth a dam. 

2-  Cbris Jones-  he’s a complete game wrecker and the 2nd best defensive player in the league imo.  Frank Clark is a beast as well.  The afc will be going through KC for the foreseeable future.  We have to find a way to limited Jones’ effectiveness vs us going forward.  Meanwhile.....our DL was stifled by 2 7th rd picks and 2 undrafted free agents on their OL.  Mahomes was a magician in the pocket. As always.  Going almost untouched behind his OL made up of nobodies.  Spags > Josh yesterday.  

3-  Our inability to run the ball efficiently.  I said months ago that it would be our downfall in the playoffs if we couldn’t find a way to balance our offense a bit more.  It was.  I like the person, but I hope that was Singletarys last game as a Bill.  His drop was monumental.  A game changjng play. 
That can’t happen.  WIDE OPEN.  Again.  
We need to make the proper adjustments along the OL, scheme and in personnel this offseason.  Retooling our run game is paramount.  If that means that our pass protection takes slight  hit, so be it. We’re too one dimensional.  Period. 

4-  Edmunds-  Spags picked on him in coverage all game.  Every team should.  For all the physical talent he possesses, he doesn’t process fast enough.  It’s been 3 years.  How many more years will it take him to catch on. He’s always a step behind. He shouldn’t be playing MLB if we want to win the Super Bowl.  We can hide his deficiencies over the course of the season, but when we play the elite of the elite, I don’t feel as if he can survive being picked on. We thought we had two of the best coverage LBers in the league.  We have maybe the best safety duo in the league..... yet Kelce was WIDE OPEN all game.      Edmunds is only good in coverage because of his height and length.  He lacks instincts vs the run and the pass.  I don’t expect us to move on from him.  I hear we should shift him to the outside.....how will that help him in coverage?  Idk.  He’s a good player but the only goal at this point is winning the super bowl.  Winning the SB, we’re going to have to beat KC....and Kelce.  Kelce is Edmunds daddy.  

This offseason-  

-i doubt it happens now, but I’d love for Frazier to become the HC in Houston.  Great guy and he’d be a loss, but 2 3rd round draft picks and the opportunity to add a new way of thinking to our D room would be refreshing imo.  

-I hope we look deeper into this matchup vs KC and find a way to defend and attack them better.  Their weakness in D is stopping the run.  They want to play nickel and dime and we don’t have the ability to force them out of it.  They defended our pass without regard to our run game.  Our run game crippled our best asset, our pass game.  Wether we like it or not, KC is our daddy.  We have to find a way to matchup better in terms of talent, scheme and mindset. Chris Jones will continue to dominate Feliciano.  I love Jon.  I just don’t think he’s physically able to do the job vs Jones.  

-John Brown will be cut, and that’s fine.  Maybe we’ll come back at a reduced salary? Idk, but 8 mill is too rich imo.

- D. Williams or Milano.  I doubt we keep both unless they take less than market value to stay.  Whichever one leaves, finding their replacement will be paramount.  Two very important positions, especially Milano considering the defense that we employ. 

- Levi/ Norman-  maybe this was the game where we realized that we need another really quality corner to beat the chiefs?  Tyreek was wide open on ever play.  Again.... WIDE OPEN.  We rarely had a defender close to him.  Is that the scheme? Partly. Wallace and Norman aren’t fast enough to even pretend they can cover a talent like hill....and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll see him in en route to the Super Bowl every year.  Along with Kelce right next to him.  We need better matchups vs those two. 

- as mentioned earlier-  fix the run game.  Don’t ask me how.  Just fix it. We can’t continue to be this one dimensional if we want to beat this team, let alone win a super bowl. 

-  side note- sucks that Spags will probably be the Chiefs DC for the next 5+ years.  He’s really good at his job. Meanwhile....teams are contemplating Leslie Frazier as their HC, while Spags dominated in KC, winning Super Bowls.  The irony.

great season guys and gals.  I’m proud of our boys.  I’m proud of our season.  I’m proud of our fans.  I’m proud of the fight our men showed.  While it looked like we melted down emotionally in the end, I love the fire and the passion.  It was immature and I understand why others would look down on the personal fouls, I’m not a fan of the Okafor cheap shot prior and Josh let him know by throwing the ball in his face.  His protectors then protected their leader.  As they should.  I love the fight that showed.  This rivalry is real.  It’s intense. It’s not going to change. If we want the results to change, we need to change.  Not a whole lot, we’re really good.  We could’ve won with proper coaching decisions and some executed plays.  We didn’t.....but we will.  I Billieve!! 

I agree with most of your points--the only quibble I have is that from where I was watching, it looked to me like Hill was covered more often than not, but his blazing speed allowed him to simply turn upfield after a juke move or 2, and be gone with dagger-like YAC, leaving the coverage scrambling in his wake. I thought we were fast on D and that the addition of Milano would also help against Kelce, but who boy was I wrong--we've got nothing on the speed that KC brought to the table last night, especially when we never seemed to jam anybody off their releases at the line so they had a full head of steam from the word "hut"--McD in his presser also mentioning their speed is not a throw-away comment from him, as other posters have already highlighted.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I besides K.C. just being really good, I think there are just some very simple things the Bills can get better at:

1.  Offensive line.  They aren't awful, but all season they haven't been great. This line is just not good at opening holes for the running game, and at times has a lot of trouble picking up the blitz.  You want to improve the offense? Need to start here.

2.  Pass rush.  Not only can/does that lead to more sacks, but it makes your secondary look better without upgrading back there.

3. Speed.  A RB or another staring WR that is just a burner. Not just speed though, they have to be good enough and well rounded enough to be on the field most of the time and be someone the opposing D fears. (Think Isiah McKenzie but with a tad more stright-line speed and someone who doesn't go down to the ground right away with a simple arm tackle)

Players have bad games. Good, even great coaches get 'out coached'.  Those things happen, to me its about improving the roster in the above areas. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Allen's facemark was grasped last night, he was slapped in the head by a blitzing DB while in the pocket...no call on either.

Because the Mahomes v Brady Super Bowl was destiny. The Packers fans questioned a number of decisions against the Bucs too.  Saying that, I think if the game had been officiated fairly we still would have lost - it may have just been closer.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TSOL said:

Remember those screens Kelly used to throw to Thurman to completely demoralize the pass rush? We need that. 

And antonio Brown. A big giant physical wide out target for Josh that you just need to throw it NEAR him and he will out physical any DB and just go get that ball. We need that.  

Those two things would have been really helpful last night. 

Thurman pretty much had better hands than most WR's, quite frankly--dude was often an extension of the Bills passing attack back in the day. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Come on gents.  No free passes.  The chiefs aren’t going anywhere. We have to find a way to beat them.  Period

not necessarily. Steelers could never really beat the pats. They got their Super Bowls because other teams knocked the pats off in the playoffs.

That said, I get your point about wanting to improve to beat the chiefs— but we still can be successful and even win some Super Bowls if we can’t solve them. 

At the rate that Mahomes and his cast is playing, no team in the league will beat them. They are going to steamroll the Bucs. 

It all starts in the trenches and for the most part we had no pressure from the front 4 .

Oliver is good but he aint no John Randle that's for sure i would love to see them move him around a bit maybe try him off the edge a couple plays a game to see if that first step is was quick as they say because against a 340 lb O linemen dude ain't got enough a** to push them in the NFL .

None of our D were in their face they played a soft zone and you can't do that with those guy s you got to hit them coming off the line after the Ravens game i thought they got it but they left it in Buffalo . 

I thought it would be a lot closer game than what it was but hey i'd like to think each year the Bills have improved first the wild card game/ loss this season the AFC Champions and the AFC championship game but a loss .

Beans saw what happened and you can bet he was taking notes so i have faith this one will bug him as much as it did the team & coaches he will get more players to help the cause and we need more a** on both lines .

I thought Williams was a good RT during the season but i saw him almost give up a couple times yesterday when his guy blew by him that can't happen but they will get it right have faith ..

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

They’ve been doing this all season.  This has been the best season I can remember in reference to the officials. 

jones should have been thrown out....but they didn’t see it/turned their heads to it.  It was a mistake in their part. The refs weren’t the reason we lost

39 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Chris Jones was the biggest factor as to how they beat us defensively. 

Watching him destroy Feliciano every single play. 

He got to JA almost every down. Someone was able to get through every play. Schematically we did poorly against their pass rush.

Agree.   Chris Jones is exactly who we are missing on D.  A Big, Mean D Tackle that gets to the QB.  We really need to prioritize the Dline this offseason. It’s our weak point.  It also makes our LBs look worse than they really are.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC has destroyed the Ravens every time we’ve played them.

In the playoffs though, I think Baltimore brings the best defense to stop you guys. And Lamar has that big play ability. 

I actually also thought the browns matched up really well with you guys. they just sort of blew it with some bad execution errors.

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Agree with this across the board.   1 thing that will be interesting is whether KC can afford all of these guys long term.   

Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Hill and Kelce all under contract for a few years. Mathieu’s contract is up after next season.  The rest are role players