Can we discuss why the hell we went into game with 3 broken receivers?

Hebert19

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

Teef I have been a supporter of most of your material on these boards for a long time and mucho respect for you

BUT

When you say "stop it" in these boards its like telling someone to shut up. Its a smack in the face. It feels personal when you say that. Conjure up an argument..  say why you disagree... and if you can't accomplish that... go find content in the thread you do agree with that goes against what the OP says...

Just wondering. did you think this thread was directed right at you? why say shut up? sorry its just not the Teef we have all come to love and respect.

you're really that offened by the phrase, "stop it".  jesus people are sensitive after a loss.

the op is a guy who creates a million threads.   in this thread, he just criticizes the fact that the wrs are beat up, and the staff should have done something.  ok...like what?  what can be done this late in a season to repair a dinged up group?  i have no problem with him making the comment, but if you're going to be critical, offer a solution.  notice how the op was asked to do so and didn't?   why?  he couldn't.  there's no easy answer. 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is so dumb. They were dinged up, but they weren't injured. We didn't lose because they were a 1/5th of a step slower. We were outcoached in terms of gameplan and outclassed in terms of talent - neither or which was there much anyone could do anything about. This is the first year in 27 years that we've been a very good team - it's ok not to win it all the first time. We need more talent, and we need to be more diverse in our scheme. That's really all there is to it.

The Chiefs are defending SB Champs, have a QB that's led them to 3 AFCCG before the age of 26 and are already looking like another all-time great dynasty. Not everything is somebody's "fault". You can't stop destiny.

Yeah a broken leg is “dinged up”

• Thank you (+1) 1

McD needs to apply that killer instinct to his roster.  He trusts his guys too much.  He has become more ruthless with coaches (firing Castillo was a true sign of growth) but he is still learning how to accept nothing less than excellence in all facets, players included.  Erring on the side of letting the guys who got you there play in the game is a noble idea.  It’s also idiotic.  Err on the side of doing everything possible to win.  That’s The Way.  He trusted his injured players to play well enough and he trusted his players, generally, to get the job done in vanilla schemes on offense and defense.  That’s why he’ll be watching the Super Bowl on his couch.  He needs to become more of a jerk.  Stat.

1 minute ago, teef said:

you're really that offened by the phrase, "stop it".  jesus people are sensitive after a loss.

the op is a guy who creates a million threads.   in this thread, he just criticizes the fact that the wrs are beat up, and the staff should have done something.  ok...like what?  what can be done this late in a season to repair a dinged up group?  i have no problem with him making the comment, but if you're going to be critical, offer a solution.  notice how the op was asked to do so and didn't?   why?  he couldn't.  there's no easy answer. 

I believe many were offended by stop it. .. I would not of wanted the first person on my post to say it same with if you made a new thread and the very first post is just "stop it" and nothing else.. that is offensive and would never do that to a persons post like that.

as for this reply I agree and maybe the better thing is to articulate this comment into the "stop it" comment so it didn't look or the feel of being harsh

all that being said I agree... there is no easy answer

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I believe many were offended by stop it. .. I would not of wanted the first person on my post to say it same with if you made a new thread and the very first post is just "stop it" and nothing else.. that is offensive and would never do that to a persons post like that.

as for this reply I agree and maybe the better thing is to articulate this comment into the "stop it" comment so it didn't look or the feel of being harsh

all that being said I agree... there is no easy answer

if this is the case, many need to quickly grow some testicles.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is so dumb. They were dinged up, but they weren't injured.

I call "playing with a broken fibula" injured, myself

Same with playing a guy on an ankle so sprained up that he DNP until Friday and is limited then.

That said, McDermott addressed this in his presser, 3:43 in, question is was there serious consideration to playing Stills instead of Davis?  He said there was, but the medical staff and coaches assessed pre-game and thought he was ready to go and McDermott wanted to use the guys who had played for us during the regular season the nod if it was close. 

It has to be a tough call for a coach to assess whether, say, a player who the trainers think is 90%, is actually 90% in all game situations and for a full 60 minutes? And is 90% of Davis better than 100% of a guy who just joined the team 2 weeks ago?  That may be one that McDermott will second-guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I call "playing with a broken fibula" injured, myself

Same with playing a guy on an ankle so sprained up that he DNP until Friday and is limited then.

That said, McDermott addressed this in his presser, 3:43 in, question is was there serious consideration to playing Stills instead of Davis?  He said there was, but the medical staff and coaches assessed pre-game and thought he was ready to go and McDermott wanted to give the guys who had played during the regular season the nod if it was close. 

It has to be a tough call for a coach to assess whether, say, a player who the trainers think is 90%, is actually 90% in all game situations and for a full 60 minutes? And is 90% of Davis better than 100% of a guy who just joined the team 2 weeks ago?  That may be one that McDermott will second-guess.

You think he's going to sweat which #4 WR played when the Chiefs scored on every drive but the first? We could had had Calvin Johnson out there and the result probably wouldn't have changed unless we lined him up on defense too.

Edited by BullBuchanan

He has become more ruthless with coaches (firing Castillo was a true sign of growth) but he is still learning how to accept nothing less than excellence in all facets, players included.  Erring on the side of letting the guys who got you there play in the game is a noble idea.  It’s also idiotic.  Err on the side of doing everything possible to win.  That’s The Way.  He trusted his injured players to play well enough and he trusted his players, generally, to get the job done in vanilla schemes on offense and defense.  That’s why he’ll be watching the Super Bowl on his couch.  He needs to become more of a jerk.  Stat.

This is a Second-Guessing-Sermons by Sam or Sally Sofa Spud.  Damned if you do, Damned if you don't, McDermott.

Last year vs. Houston, Duke Williams played well in the meaningless last game of the season and McDermott activated him in the playoff game.  He proceeded to pull in 4 receptions on 10 targets, earning himself a chance to compete for the practice squad again next season.

If McDermott played Stills over Davis and Stills is targeted 3 times for 0 receptions but it came out that Davis was medically cleared to be able to play, people would point out that Davis was tied for most TD receptions in the 2nd half of the season and that he had 4 critical receptions on 4 targets in the WC game.  Even more so if Stills made a mistake in blocking or protections or route running that cost us.

I know a professional volleyball player, the setter, who played 3 playoff games for her team on a Grade 2 ankle sprain.  She was far and away the best setter on the team but of course with the sprain, she couldn't cover as much ground or block as high.  Hampered as she was, was she still a better player than her backup?  She thought so.  The competitive athlete is always going to want to go. 

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You think he's going to sweat which #4 WR played when the Chiefs scored on every drive but the first? We could had had Calvin Johnson out there and the result probably wouldn't have changed unless we lined him up on defense too.

I think that McDermott is a thorough and detail-oriented coach and he will review EVERYTHING.  It was pretty clear if you listened to the interview that he was second-guessing himself a bit.

• Agree 1

I dont mean to derail the thread but the WR position wasnt what lost this game for the Bills it was the trenches folks. The Chiefs dominated both facets.  That and being outcoached bottom line.

40 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yeah a broken leg is “dinged up”

reading that Beasley played with a broken fibula holy cow thats freakin heroic in my book geez..its not dinged its  brokem geesh that to me is amazing stuff right there

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

We certainly over think things that's for sure. 

Gabe Davis didn't even play.  He was a waste of a roster spot.  

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

8 touchdowns on season.  Not playing.  No one to take his place.  Yes.  It was a factor. 

Who was that guy with in the 13 jersey with "Davis" on the back getting targeted 3 times yesterday.  I wasn't that drunk...

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

Why didn't a healthy McKinney have a bigger role?

2 hours ago, teef said:

.like what?  what can be done this late in a season to repair a dinged up group?  i have no problem with him making the comment, but if you're going to be critical, offer a solution.  notice how the op was asked to do so and didn't?   why?  he couldn't.  there's no easy answer. 

"McKinney", obvs....