Can we discuss why the hell we went into game with 3 broken receivers?

Hebert19

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

8 touchdowns on season.  Not playing.  No one to take his place.  Yes.  It was a factor. 

And Kenny Stills or Duke Williams was the guy that could bring us to victory?

You have a complete lack of respect for who we just played against and who will be hoisting their second consecutive Lombardi in a couple weeks.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I get Coach's loyalty but how is it a good idea to play in AFC Championship with your 2,3,4 receivers hobbled?

1.  Beasley likely will have meniscus surgery is my guess.   He was a warrior but clearly not as full strength.  

2.  Brown was never healthy since like week 4.  Guessing he also has surgery on his agenda.  Knee ankle i don't know what. 

3.   Gabe couldn't even play all game until the end and was clearly not at full strength. 

We ended up running Knox out there as a WR basically all night because we were short and yet we had 2 practice squad guys that whether they know the offense or not could have stepped in.  We needed to score a bunch of points tonight.   We knew this would be the case...yet we went is knowingly short handed.  

This was a fail!

That's right. They shouldn't have played the game, stay home until everyone is healthy.

But seriously -- Beasley was our most productive receiver, and Brown had a couple tough grabs. I don't think sitting either of them helps us whatsoever.

If you're going to Monday Morning Quarterback, maybe we should have sat Davis but it obviously doesn't change the final outcome. I'm sure they decided that a dinged up Davis with his knowledge of the playbook, comfort with Josh, and physical play style brought more to the table than guys with some combination of less talent, physicality, and knowledge of the playbook who have likely no rapport with Josh.

Davis over Stills was a huge mistake. Stills could have at least help stretch the field. Davis was on the field for 16 snaps, 3 targets and no catches. That was a waste. Bills would have a better chance on O spreading the field with Diggs, Beasley, Brown and Stills. 

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The same people telling you to shut up in this thread are likely also the people who picked the Bills to win by several scores.  So keep that in mind.

No one is telling anyone to shut up.  If people are going to call this out and criticize coaching for it, why not give possible solutions?  I’m not sure there were any at that point. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you answer your own questions.  When your legit starting WR are injured, your team has to make a judgement call:  Is my hampered starter better than these 2 practice squad guys who are on our practice squad all season because 31 other teams don't think they're starters?

And "whether they know the offense" and have timing down with Josh matters.  The results of not having timing down, or not having the exact route running, would also not be good.

Clearly the coaches and trainers and players felt that injured Brown, Beasley, and Davis was still better than their backup alternatives.

It doesn't mean that they were playing their best, it's a violent game and injuries happen.

Yup. Clustered injuries are tough to manage. A WR2 at 70% vs the WR6 is a lose lose that you try to muscle through. Especially as a passing team that is also nicked up in the already weaker running game.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You have no idea what he looks like in practice and how much of what John Brown has said is a very complicated offense, he's grasped.  So yeah, saying he "needs to be active" is contraversial

That's a fair counterpoint but like...he's been here for 3+ weeks and has had familiarity with the E-P offense Daboll runs. On a little bit of a tangent, Beane also kept his eye on getting him for quite a while beforehand. Even if it isn't the full route tree, a large amount of snaps, or if our WRs need to help him line up or know his routes, I don't see how we wouldn't have had marginal improvement with him being out there over a hobbled Davis in 4WR sets.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

I do think the OP is a topic with some merit...there is room for some coaching introspection.

Why can't we get our backups ready as we have had wr injuries for most of the year. Why didn't a healthy McKinney have a bigger role?

I do think that McDermott and pur coaching staff can be conservative to a fault when it comes to who they start, as witnessed by his penchant to target aging ex-panther players mainly for the comfort level.

He has said as much in pressers.

He is a young coach, and he will learn and grow to be a bit more resourceful when it comes to his toolbox inventory.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Stop what?   We literally had 3 receivers playing injured. 

Not sure why Davis was active and why has Mckenzie been on the bench most of the post season? We stopped doing motions plays, reverses and stuff....things the Chiefs were doing with Hill 

I don't think Davis should've been out there.  McKenzie should've been more a part of the game plan for sure, he's a great player and deserves more looks, especially when Davis is as banged up as he was.  I don't think it was the reason we lost but still I think it was one of the many poor decisions we made.

2 hours ago, teef said:

No one is telling anyone to shut up.  If people are going to call this out and criticize coaching for it, why not give possible solutions?  I’m not sure there were any at that point. 

6 hours ago, teef said:

stop it.

Teef I have been a supporter of most of your material on these boards for a long time and mucho respect for you

BUT

When you say "stop it" in these boards its like telling someone to shut up. Its a smack in the face. It feels personal when you say that. Conjure up an argument..  say why you disagree... and if you can't accomplish that... go find content in the thread you do agree with that goes against what the OP says...

Just wondering. did you think this thread was directed right at you? why say shut up? sorry its just not the Teef we have all come to love and respect.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Davis over Stills was a huge mistake. Stills could have at least help stretch the field. Davis was on the field for 16 snaps, 3 targets and no catches. That was a waste. Bills would have a better chance on O spreading the field with Diggs, Beasley, Brown and Stills. 

It's all Barkley's fault for getting Beasley hurt.