Can we discuss why the hell we went into game with 3 broken receivers?

Hebert19

I get Coach's loyalty but how is it a good idea to play in AFC Championship with your 2,3,4 receivers hobbled?

1.  Beasley likely will have meniscus surgery is my guess.   He was a warrior but clearly not as full strength.  

2.  Brown was never healthy since like week 4.  Guessing he also has surgery on his agenda.  Knee ankle i don't know what. 

3.   Gabe couldn't even play all game until the end and was clearly not at full strength. 

We ended up running Knox out there as a WR basically all night because we were short and yet we had 2 practice squad guys that whether they know the offense or not could have stepped in.  We needed to score a bunch of points tonight.   We knew this would be the case...yet we went is knowingly short handed.  

This was a fail!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, I did not like the Davis move over Stills. Davis barely got on the field and did not look himself when he did. And McD answer was pretty weak in that he relied on the doctors and wanted to error on the side of giving the guys who played for him all year a chance to play in the game. You watched him all week and if he did not look himself, you have to put a healthy wr out there. This is not Diggs we are talking about where he could still be a decoy but a rookie. He clearly was not right and we clearly could have used some more juice at that position especially since Beasley and Brown have been taking turns breaking down as of late. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Agree 1

I understand that Still was "new" and maybe didn't know the playbook as well, but dang, at least try something. And, I've been very strong on bringing up A. Williams at RB. I still don't understand why he wasn't at least given a shot. Perhaps it was because we played Miami and he really isn't that good, but how do you know. But, John Brown has not been the same. I believe he was a liability in the game. 

Ultimately, it was more the Defense not stopping a damn thing and the O line not providing any protection that sealed our fate. 

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This isn't about mad.   Its a topic just like every other on here.  An honest question.  This hurt us as we couldn't get separation all game. 

Your summary is correct.  three dinged receivers, and that doesn't count Diggs oblique.  But, also a O line that couldn't keep allen clean  and, a D that could stop the Chiefs O.  What what's with Hughes and D Johnson out in  coverage.  Those guys looked like statues out there w the db's and wr's.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

4. Diggs(oblique), Brown(knee/ankle), Beasley(Knee/possible groin), Davis(ankle)

With Davis being the only one on the official injury report designation though?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2928013-afc-championship-game-2021-injury-report-predictions-for-bills-vs-chiefs

40 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I get Coach's loyalty but how is it a good idea to play in AFC Championship with your 2,3,4 receivers hobbled?

1.  Beasley likely will have meniscus surgery is my guess.   He was a warrior but clearly not as full strength.  

2.  Brown was never healthy since like week 4.  Guessing he also has surgery on his agenda.  Knee ankle i don't know what. 

3.   Gabe couldn't even play all game until the end and was clearly not at full strength. 

We ended up running Knox out there as a WR basically all night because we were short and yet we had 2 practice squad guys that whether they know the offense or not could have stepped in.  We needed to score a bunch of points tonight.   We knew this would be the case...yet we went is knowingly short handed.  

This was a fail!

I think you answer your own questions.  When your legit starting WR are injured, your team has to make a judgement call:  Is my hampered starter better than these 2 practice squad guys who are on our practice squad all season because 31 other teams don't think they're starters?

And "whether they know the offense" and have timing down with Josh matters.  The results of not having timing down, or not having the exact route running, would also not be good.

Clearly the coaches and trainers and players felt that injured Brown, Beasley, and Davis was still better than their backup alternatives.

It doesn't mean that they were playing their best, it's a violent game and injuries happen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Stop what?   We literally had 3 receivers playing injured. 

I don't think you know the severity on their injuries from the couch.

If they weren't healthy enough, they wouldn't have played.  Beasley did have 7 catches for 88 yards yesterday.

So what if Lee Smith lined up in the slot?  His last catch went for 15 yards because no one covered him....this team all season has made plays with several people.

39 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This was a fail!

What are you talking about MCClappy was just going to be conservative and kick field goals what do you need receivers for.