Brown- should they cut him?

Aussie Joe

I'm very unhappy with Brown right now, but I'll admit I'm just salty about his playoff production.  He's a good player and I appreciate the contributions he made to the team the past couple of years.  We wouldn't have made the playoffs last year without him.

That said, my sense is that he's expendable.  Davis has probably already passed him on the depth chart -- actually I don't think there's any "probably" about it.  We can draft somebody or bring in a free agent to maintain quality depth behind Diggs-Beasley-Davis.  We're going to be in an unfamiliar situation of being forced to let some very good players walk who we would have been happy resign if the salary cap weren't an issue, and Brown is a really call compared to some of the other guys who have pay days on the horizon.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't know what happened to the guy, but he looks slow and weak.

Get rid of the guy.

We need one guy that can stretch the defense, run gadget plays, and return kicks.  We have too much money in Brown, Mckenzie, and Roberts.  That should be one player doing what these guys do.

would not surprise me if he announces surgery to fix an injury he has been dealing with.

he was our leading receiver just last season in 2019

his contract says he may be cut.....only $1.6 mil dead money and cap savings of $8 mil

beanne drafted 2 wr's last year

i say he winds up a cap casualty......so many other needs at DE, LB, CB, RB, TE, OL

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not sure Milano is worth it, given injury history, meh, I just don't know.

I would pay Milano fair money,  suggestions that we give him huge money would not be smart because he is not an elite play making LB.  Good but not great,  just because your winning does not mean you pay everyone.  The fact is our defence contributed very little to our record this season

• Aussie Joe changed the title to Brown- should they cut him?
14 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would pay Milano fair money,  suggestions that we give him huge money would not be smart because he is not an elite play making LB.  Good but not great,  just because your winning does not mean you pay everyone.  The fact is our defence contributed very little to our record this season

Milano is not able to defend Kelce, just saying.  If your speed linebacker can't cover a tight end, "Houston, we have a problem". 

He has to stay on the roster until they find a legitimate option to replace him, and Gabe Davis isnt it.     So that leaves you with the draft, where rookies are very rarely ready to make an impact their first year, or free agency in a year where the cap is down.   Brown had a bad injury filled year, but you dont cut him unless you're sure you have somebody better.    The smart way to go about it is to sign Stills to a one year contract at the end of the season and let he and Brown battle in training camp.  Loser gets cut.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Milano is not able to defend Kelce, just saying.  If your speed linebacker can't cover a tight end, "Houston, we have a problem". 

I agree,  yet we have fans on this site that keep saying we need to pay then man.  The Patriots won Super Bowls because they refused to overpay guys who were not elite,  let them walk if they want big money. You pay your big stars and he is not a big star

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree,  yet we have fans on this site that keep saying we need to pay then man.  The Patriots won Super Bowls because they refused to overpay guys who were not elite,  let them walk if they want big money. You pay your big stars and he is not a big star

Remember that the Patsie's got a team discount from TB12 for years, Doubt Josh's agent will be interested in a discount. Of course Brady is likely the only player in the league whose wife is worth more and makes more than the player.

Edited by BearNorth

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Remember that the Patsie's got a team discount from TB12 for years, Doubt Josh's agent will be interested in a discount.

Did not matter,  they let guys walk who thought they were worth more.  Worse thing for a team is to start paying average players big money because your winning,  i thought Beane's free agents signing were all overpays and if you check they contributed very little.  I mentioned during free agency and was accused of being too negative.  Our D line is highest paid in the NFL and that cannot continue because front 4 has difficult time getting pressure without bringing extra guys

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Better than a 1000 yard receiver?Because that’s what he was just a year ago

He basically played 8 games this season and had 458 yards, meaning he was on place again for close to 1000 yards. He played very well vs. Baltimore too.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm very unhappy with Brown right now, but I'll admit I'm just salty about his playoff production.  He's a good player and I appreciate the contributions he made to the team the past couple of years.  We wouldn't have made the playoffs last year without him.

That said, my sense is that he's expendable.  Davis has probably already passed him on the depth chart -- actually I don't think there's any "probably" about it.  We can draft somebody or bring in a free agent to maintain quality depth behind Diggs-Beasley-Davis.  We're going to be in an unfamiliar situation of being forced to let some very good players walk who we would have been happy resign if the salary cap weren't an issue, and Brown is a really call compared to some of the other guys who have pay days on the horizon.

He was great last week!

Seems like he's a pretty likely casualty. I'd be very interested in getting a good WR that can do the McKenzie sweeps and whatnot this offseason as well. Someone like Kadarius Toney or Rondale Moore in the draft would be ideal IMO if they go in that direction.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Better than a 1000 yard receiver?Because that’s what he was just a year ago

"a year ago" is an internity in football.

I have always been a JB supporter.

But I can't see the Bills keeping him. Keep in mind he is turning 31 and the cap is going down to 175 mil this year.