Brown- should they cut him?

Aussie Joe

Firstly... let me say that I have been a defender of Brown this year when he was long term injured and came back and hasn’t been playing his best towards the back end of the regular season when the O was humming...

I was originally thinking that he might be up for a Beane haircut similar to Kroft and Star last  year .... and I would have been ok with that previously...

Unfortunately, my thoughts are now that he hasn’t performed this playoff season, and let’s be honest... we needed him to show up today....and whilst he wasn’t the only one to blame... his salary next year makes him stand out...

I think it’s time to move on from Brown...and save the 7-8 Mil or so... nothing personal and I sincerely wish him well at his next stop 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Firstly... let me say that I have been a defender of Brown this year when he was long term injured and came back and hasn’t been playing his best towards the back end of the regular season when the O was humming...

I was originally thinking that he might be up for a Beane haircut similar to Kroft and Star last  year .... and I would have been ok with that previously...

Unfortunately, my thoughts are now that he hasn’t performed this playoff season, and let’s be honest... we needed him to show up today....and whilst he wasn’t the only one to blame... his salary next year makes him stand out...

I think it’s time to move on from Brown...and save the 7-8 Mil or so... nothing personal and I sincerely wish him well at his next stop 

Let’s see how he does during off-season.  Would not be surprised if both he and Beas get scoped.  Plus who replaces that speed?  Better have solution before cutting people.   How bout we get a running game so dbs and safeties have to worry about the run.  Now they never need to even think of looking in backfield.  Let’s fix run game, then see how receivers do.  We are the passing version of the Ravens.  Browns played them better cuz they are balanced.  This was coming as we were lucky to beat colts with  10. Min. TOP DEFICIT ! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

After this season's performance I don't know how you can really justify keeping him, especially when you've got Stills and Davis waiting in the wings and you can save something like 8 million by offloading him. That's money that can be used to sign an impact player; I loved John Brown last season but the games where he had a significant impact were too sporadic.

Who knows what we have in Hodgins as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Let’s see how he does during off-season.  Would not be surprised if both he and Beas get scoped.  Plus who replaces that speed?  Better have solution before cutting people.   How bout we get a running game so dbs and safeties have to worry about the run.  Now they never need to even think of looking in backfield.  Let’s fix run game, then see how receivers do.  We are the passing version of the Ravens.  Browns played them better cuz they are balanced.  This was coming as we were lucky to beat colts with  10. Min. TOP DEFICIT ! 

Beasley sticks. Brown is expendable... and saves something like $8 million for our Cap if we cut him.

Shame because when healthy I think he's an excellent #2. But Davis will very much suffice and we need money to sign the likes of Allen and Milano.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

OK, so getting back to Daboll’s play calling and play development, is his strength in the passing game?  He was a tight ends coach for years before becoming an offensive coordinator.  In his first 2 seasons, along with Josh’s first two, they also didn’t have much of a running game outside of Josh’s running.  Now the passing game is firing but the running game isn’t complimentary.  Josh had been running less, outside of games like today.  

Maybe Daboll just isn’t good at developing running plays outside of QB sprints and RPO?   The Bills have a running backs coach and offensive line coaches.  Maybe they need a running game coordinator like some teams have?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

There are a lot of contributors who are Free Agents. There are a number of positions we have to upgrade to compete with KC. And we don't have a lot of money. Beane will have to get creative with trades and cuts to make it all work. As such, players from positions of strength are prime candidates. Diggs, Beasley, and Davis are all going nowhere. Brown is kind of the odd man out at a position of strength and is tradeable. Given those facts, yeah, I don't think John Brown will be on the squad next season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Keep the talent and regroup.  We got out-coached by Andy Reid.  Get a breakout threat at running back, TE, and rework defensive personnel.  Not saying there can't be a better cost/youth concept than Brown going forward, but he was definitely part of the reason we made the AFC Championship game.  

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Whenever you were one of the top four teams in the league you don’t start cutting your stars John Brown has been injured all year and prior to that was 1000 yard receiver the talk of just cutting him is ludicrous you add talent to the roster you don’t cut it

Hey John... been on your side for months...

We’re you happy with him today?

Yes... I don’t want him to be the scapegoat... I really wanted him to stand up today though... they needed him..

Joe right now we are thinking with our hearts whenever things calm down we start thinking with our heads we will realize everything that John Brown is done for this team and how he was Josh Allen’s primary receiver before digs came along John Brown bring some thing that you cannot easily find when healthy

Now what I wanna know it’s just how injured John Brown is that is the underlying piece that we don’t have that the bills will

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think Brown was even close to 100% today.  He's been a non-factor this year because of Diggs' presence and because of his injuries.

If he can get healthy he's worth keeping around.  Should we keep four excellent-to-great WRs?  That might seem excessive but consider the Bills are built around Allen.  Also consider that the Bills got lucky this year, with Davis developing so quickly.  We would have felt Brown's absence a lot more without Davis around.

We need a real beast on the D line.  Ed Oliver is a potential very good piece but he needs someone very large beside him to let Oliver do what he does best. 

• Like (+1) 1