Who is the imposter in Brian Daboll's Body?

32 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Thats brilliant.  They should have adopted your gameplan then lol.    

Incidentally,  Josh ran for 88 yards at over 12 yards a carry.   

The point was he could have ran more as once he broke containment he had open spaces.  Maybe this was the game for some QB runs (vs. scrambles)?

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

From one of the most creative offensives to running the same play over and over again in the playoffs.  Presnap movement just went away.  Mckenzie went away.  Running schemes went away.  They tried nothing new, and didn't even run creative plays that worked this year.

Daboll had a lot of questionable times during the season that was overlooked, but the guy was just plain awful in the playoffs.

I think he had a progression of plays figured out that he would call one after another. If "A" worked, then  defensive player z would be thinking xx on the next play and the counter was  "b"....   He got lost when "a" got stuffed and didn't have a plan b

On 1/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, TBBills said:

I guess there is a bigger reason Daboll didn't get a HC job this year.

I think he's too low key for some GM's to see as their head coach. 

At least in pressers he seems like more of an analytical guy than a motivating leader.  

The NFL has seen hundreds of good coordinators take a swing at the head coach job and find themselves back at coordinator where they belong.  Daboll might be one of those guys.  Also he didnt seem very inventive in the playoffs, hope he improves there next year.

• Agree 1

When you get elevated to genius status by a transcendent talent at QB, it sometimes leads you to expect him to improvise pedestrian game plans and get Ws. Dabol was compromised by injured receivers being relied on and a nonexistent running attack. Having said that ,he didn't protect Allen from free rushers and couldn't get Diggs involved in the game. He will suffer a blow to his overall rating with this ineptitude. He's got to do better. This team deserves better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

When you get elevated to genius status by a transcendent talent at QB, it sometimes leads you to expect him to improvise pedestrian game plans and get Ws. Dabol was compromised by injured receivers being relied on and a nonexistent running attack. Having said that ,he didn't protect Allen from free rushers and couldn't get Diggs involved in the game. He will suffer a blow to his overall rating with this ineptitude. He's got to do better. This team deserves better. 

He had no hot reads for the blitzes. He ran no draws or screens on the pressure from KC. He better find a big upgrade at RB & TE. This offense with Singletary and Knox is pretty sad. You can't expect your top 3 wrs to do everything. 

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He had no hot reads for the blitzes. He ran no draws or screens on the pressure from KC. He better find a big upgrade at RB & TE. This offense with Singletary and Knox is pretty sad. You can't expect your top 3 wrs to do everything. 

I think getting a bit more creative with motions and formations could've helped them find some more space in man coverage.  Bunch formations with mesh concepts will eat in man coverage.  Max protect and the deep overs were where they gashed man coverage all year too.

I agree on the blitzes though.  Big sacks and the grounding came on blitzes where we left someone unblocked and allen didn't get the ball out or escape.  Need to be able to run the ball, screens behind those blitzes too.  We tried doing those WR screens but its tough in press coverage.  

First time I post since the AFC championship game. In general terms this is how I see how things transpired last Sunday.

The defensive coaches failed to put the players in position to make plays, it was miserable to watch our players trying to slow down the Kansas offense. 

On offense, the players failed to make plays in key situations, Allen couldn't get into rythm, the pass blocking was sub par and the Chiefs took Diggs and Beasley out. Singletary killed some momentum with a key drop.

From being the best 3rd down offense during the season we were third worst in the post-season. 5-14 in that game. 

Amazing year overall, disappointed how it finished. 

Edited by Fixxxer
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh was able to squeeze out two tough playoff wins with Diggs and Davis having their way with man coverage and making some good runs himself, but you can't expect to beat KC when they take Diggs away. Dabol must be innovative in a big spot like that. 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, WideNine said:

I imagine having an arm like Allen's but being forced into check downs is like feeling the rumble of your 600HP engine as you are forced to limp along through never ending 20mph speed zones.

It will be the hardest thing for him to learn to do.

The Bills FO can help by getting more speed on the outside to carry safeties deep and open the middle a bit, but that what smoke and Beasley were for, but they were not at full speed.

Tough with all the injuries, but when you don't have the horses to go deep Allen has to take what he can shallow.

When you look at it that way, I see your point, but to be a top QB, Allen must learn to do what the other top QBs have learned to do: it's not about beating the other team with your arm. 

It's about beating them with your mind. 

It's not about injured "horses".   A good team can always take away one thing you do well.  Then the QB's job is to burn them, and burn them, and burn them, with something else, until they adjust to put out the fire.

Then you burn them someplace else.

No, Beasley has never been about speed on the outside to carry the safeties deep and open up the middle.  Beasley is the "always open in the middle" guy.  Trouble is, we don't have another guy to take attention off him - that would be the TE on many teams.

Teams are leaving our outlet guys, RB and TE, so open they must be lonely at times and with enough green grass ahead of them to plant a Christmas Tree farm.  If Allen doesn't trust these guys to catch reliably, we need to move on to guys he can trust.  If Allen doesn't trust himself to hit those throws reliably**, he needs to practice again and again until he can.  If Allen doesn't see them because he's looking for the killer shot downfield, he needs to develop his field vision and the way he uses his mind.

Allen's arm is still incomparably valuable with the shorter throws in being able to get the ball in there in time.

**these were some of his worst throws at the combine and his pro day.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I think getting a bit more creative with motions and formations could've helped them find some more space in man coverage.  Bunch formations with mesh concepts will eat in man coverage.  Max protect and the deep overs were where they gashed man coverage all year too.

I agree on the blitzes though.  Big sacks and the grounding came on blitzes where we left someone unblocked and allen didn't get the ball out or escape.  Need to be able to run the ball, screens behind those blitzes too.  We tried doing those WR screens but its tough in press coverage.  

What's really odd with Daboll is he used to run tons of motions and mesh concepts but late in the regular season he abandoned them? Why? If you insist on keeping scrubs like Lee Smith, then for God sakes get him in there to max protect. Smith and Singletary's ONLY talent is to block.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He had a perfectly set up screen to extend a drive and Singletary dropped the ball. He stunk up the field in the biggest game of his life. What happened to this guy? He was elusive, quick and productive. He became timid and tentative. Yeldon looked like Thurman compared to Singletary. 

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When you look at it that way, I see your point, but to be a top QB, Allen must learn to do what the other top QBs have learned to do: it's not about beating the other team with your arm. 

It's about beating them with your mind. 

It's not about injured "horses".   A good team can always take away one thing you do well.  Then the QB's job is to burn them, and burn them, and burn them, with something else, until they adjust to put out the fire.

Then you burn them someplace else.

No, Beasley has never been about speed on the outside to carry the safeties deep and open up the middle.  Beasley is the "always open in the middle" guy.  Trouble is, we don't have another guy to take attention off him - that would be the TE on many teams.

Teams are leaving our outlet guys, RB and TE, so open they must be lonely at times and with enough green grass ahead of them to plant a Christmas Tree farm.  If Allen doesn't trust these guys to catch reliably, we need to move on to guys he can trust.  If Allen doesn't trust himself to hit those throws reliably**, he needs to practice again and again until he can.  If Allen doesn't see them because he's looking for the killer shot downfield, he needs to develop his field vision and the way he uses his mind.

Allen's arm is still incomparably valuable with the shorter throws in being able to get the ball in there in time.

**these were some of his worst throws at the combine and his pro day.

I see how the "that's what Smoke and Beasley were for" comment was confusing. I meant Smoke for the outside speed and Beasley for exploiting the middle but worded it wrong.

Never pictured Beasley taking the top off a defense. 

And agree Alan's biggest struggle will be reigning in the arm and patience.

Especially when our defense is struggling and the race for points thoughts start creeping in and he looks for homeruns when there are only base hits available.

Edited by WideNine

19 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

He had a perfectly set up screen to extend a drive and Singletary dropped the ball. He stunk up the field in the biggest game of his life. What happened to this guy? He was elusive, quick and productive. He became timid and tentative. Yeldon looked like Thurman compared to Singletary. 

I wouldn't go as far as that last, but yeah, Singletary fell off Big Time this year.  I'm willing to believe it's not all on him, but some of it is.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm gonna bet that when I go through the all-22, I'm going to find hot reads.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wouldn't go as far as that last, but yeah, Singletary fell off Big Time this year.  I'm willing to believe it's not all on him, but some of it is.

I'm gonna bet that when I go through the all-22, I'm going to find hot reads.

Do you mean the coaching didn't help his performance this season? I'm sure they saw the decline and went towards pass heavy offense with Moss featured in short yardage and killing the clock scenarios. 

25 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Do you mean the coaching didn't help his performance this season? I'm sure they saw the decline and went towards pass heavy offense with Moss featured in short yardage and killing the clock scenarios. 

I don't think Beane views the decline in run game as being primarily on Singletary.  As I said elsewhere, Beane won't tell you everything he's thinking but if he does say something, I believe he means it and it reflects his thinking.  In response to two separate questions, he talked about needing to "practice, emphasize, work on" the run game and about how it's unfair to single out the RBs for the decline in run production, how all the blocking needs to work and if one guy misses a block the run gets stuffed.

The first 7 weeks of the season especially, our OL was constantly in flux and missing 2/5 intended week1 starters, which would fit with that.  Once Feliciano came back and Morse returned from concussion, we settled down.

In the middle of the season when we focused on the run, Singletary got just as many carries as he did at the start of the season and broke more yards with them (Week 8, 12, and 13)

All that said, I don't think Singletary seemed as sharp or focused and driven as he was last year.  I think Gore provided leadership and player coaching that he badly missed.  He might also be the kind of guy who just really struggles with Zoom U. 

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Beane views the decline in run game as being primarily on Singletary.  As I said elsewhere, Beane won't tell you everything he's thinking but if he does say something, I believe he means it and it reflects his thinking.  In response to two separate questions, he talked about needing to "practice, emphasize, work on" the run game and about how it's unfair to single out the RBs for the decline in run production, how all the blocking needs to work and if one guy misses a block the run gets stuffed.

The first 7 weeks of the season especially, our OL was constantly in flux and missing 2/5 intended week1 starters, which would fit with that.  Once Feliciano came back and Morse returned from concussion, we settled down.

In the middle of the season when we focused on the run, Singletary got just as many carries as he did at the start of the season and broke more yards with them (Week 8, 12, and 13)

All that said, I don't think Singletary seemed as sharp or focused and driven as he was last year.  I think Gore provided leadership and player coaching that he badly missed.  He might also be the kind of guy who just really struggles with Zoom U. 

I understand the desire to give Devin a pass, being a 2nd year player and for sure our pass protection was more consistent than run blocking. Having said that he doesn't break tackles and doesn't hit the hole like an explosive back. Williams looked like the type of hungry back in the Miami game, we need. Not necessarily Williams, but that type of hard running with aggression. 

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What's really odd with Daboll is he used to run tons of motions and mesh concepts but late in the regular season he abandoned them? Why? If you insist on keeping scrubs like Lee Smith, then for God sakes get him in there to max protect. Smith and Singletary's ONLY talent is to block.

we were seeing zone coverage where it isn't effective.