Who is the imposter in Brian Daboll's Body?

If the defense is going to play ‘sticky’ then you counter that by leaking a late receiver out in the flat. He’ll be uncovered because the DBs are glued to their men. Either we didn’t do that or Josh didn’t see the outlet soon enough. I believe it was actually quite a bit more of the former last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't recognize this Brian Daboll offense this postseason as compared to the regular season.  The offense in my opinion looked relatively different as compared to the regular season.  The imagination appeared very vanilla, the jet sweeps were missing (except today when it was too late), and the red zone play calling left a lot to be desired.  I understand players have to execute, but I feel these playoff games were not Daboll at his best.  

There is plenty of blame to go around IMO. 

There's more to being vanilla or not than jet sweeps. 

I'm going to wait until I see the all-22 to put it so much on Daboll.  I thought his offensive play design in the Ravens game was actually very creative and effective.

There are still times when Josh doesn't make the right call or passes up a simple throw that would move the chains instead of taking what the defense gives him.

There are times when another player makes a mistake

Either our protection calls were screwed or we were just getting our asses whupped on the line

A factor that I don't know how to adjust for is officials allowing DBs to mug the WR in playoff games.  This was a factor in the TB/GB game as well.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Their D is pretty solid.  They get pressure with 4, their corners are solid, and they have a stud safety...  

No they are not.  They are an okay D, but the worst red zone defense in the NFL, who shut the Bills down 4X's there (and the Bills are one of the best red zone offenses).

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/team-stats/defense

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I’ve been super surprised at the Daboll love this year. This place was ripping that guy a new butthole every week in 2018/19. 

That said Romo was pretty critical of the coaching staff on both sides of the ball as the game went on. 

I’ve been saying it all year, I don’t like his game plans, and when they work it because of the players not the scheme. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm going to wait until I see the all-22 to put it so much on Daboll.  I thought his offensive play design in the Ravens game was actually very creative and effective.

There are still times when Josh doesn't make the right call or passes up a simple throw that would move the chains instead of taking what the defense gives him.

Either our protection calls were screwed or we were just getting our asses whupped on the line

A factor that I don't know how to adjust for is officials allowing DBs to mug the WR in playoff games.  This was a factor in the TB/GB game as well.

I'm not really trying to pin blame on Daboll, it's a collective effort.  My point being in my opinion, is that the offensive playcalling and design approach looked different than what we had seen all season.   The jet sweeps was just an example of something we used all season to detect defenses but provided another running option.  

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I'm not really trying to pin blame on Daboll, it's a collective effort.  My point being in my opinion, is that the offensive playcalling and design approach looked different than what we had seen all season.   The jet sweeps was just an example of something we used all season to detect defenses but provided another running option.  

I think we had a "tell" for them and other teams were stuffing them, was why they disappeared.

And sorry, but when you start a thread titled "who is the imposter in Brian Daboll's body" re: the playoff playcalling it does give the appearance of pinning blame on Daboll.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we had a "tell" for them and other teams were stuffing them, was why they disappeared.

And sorry, but when you start a thread titled "who is the imposter in Brian Daboll's body" re: the playoff playcalling it does give the appearance of pinning blame on Daboll.

I think the thread title speaks for itself, re: the offensive game plan just looked different than what we were used to seeing from Daboll.

I think that they didn't have an answer when the Chiefs smothered out set of slightly banged up receivers. They were smart enough to figure out that they could pass rush every play because we had no running backs that had enough speed to hurt them around the corners or get a big chunk if they got through the LOS.   In prior games we used the steady passing attack to make yardage AND open up various  deception plays.  We never got off the dime on the passing. 

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't recognize this Brian Daboll offense this postseason as compared to the regular season.  The offense in my opinion looked relatively different as compared to the regular season.  The imagination appeared very vanilla, the jet sweeps were missing (except today when it was too late), and the red zone play calling left a lot to be desired.  I understand players have to execute, but I feel these playoff games were not Daboll at his best.  

Agree kind of felt the same too.  Was there some secret injury to Allen that we'll hear about in a couple weeks, or was it just that once you get into the playoffs the defenses all are much better.  Hard to believe that's it as played some good defensive teams in regular season too unless they all save their good stuff for the playoffs..

It’s no mystery. Daboll didn’t magically forget how to coach.

By playoff time it became evident to EVERY team that we couldn’t run the ball AT ALL.

If your team becomes one dimensional in the playoffs, you won’t win. See Baltimore.

Moss went down, Singletary was somehow below expectations, and the O-line couldn’t run block.

It’s the beginning and end of every issue with the offense. If you have 7-8 DBs in on every snap, the WRs will have a much more difficult time getting open and the QB will have a harder time finding them. We need a better run game. Period.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They allow them to mug in both games because the NFL so desperately wants that Mahomes/Brady matchup. Yes we played badly last night but both games were steered in a certain direction. 

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Something went off the rails with the O this post season and I’m not sure what it was 

I think it’s a little simplistic to blame Daboll although this may be a factor...

The OL struggled today  ...  do we blame Dabs for that? 

Calling a roll out to the right and a screen to the left would have been a nice start. 

How Daboll didn't use the KC aggressiveness against them is beyond me. 

His post season play calling was atrocious 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Their D is pretty solid.  They get pressure with 4, their corners are solid, and they have a stud safety...  

They are average/above average.

I think they ranked 16th in the regular season, but I would probably put them more in the 10-15 range

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It’s no mystery. Daboll didn’t magically forget how to coach.

By playoff time it became evident to EVERY team that we couldn’t run the ball AT ALL.

If your team becomes one dimensional in the playoffs, you won’t win. See Baltimore.

Moss went down, Singletary was somehow below expectations, and the O-line couldn’t run block.

It’s the beginning and end of every issue with the offense. If you have 7-8 DBs in on every snap, the WRs will have a much more difficult time getting open and the QB will have a harder time finding them. We need a better run game. Period.

The Chiefs actually blitzed Allen relentlessly (meaning they didn’t have 7-8 DBs), and too often he didn’t have answers. He left a lot of short, productive plays on the field last night. Hero ball was a problem.

• Like (+1) 2

There was not a lot of creativity in the post season compared to the regular season.  THey had a  couple jet action runs to convert first downs but nothing to result in big plays, they had a nice statue of liberty thing they set up in the regular season, where was that?   All the passes with WR's and whatnot, I expected to see something in the post season.  In game adjustments did not appear to be there either compared to the regular season either.   Some of it is you are getting better efforts by the opposing teams, but I agree, there seemed to be a lack gameplanning to the Bills advantage in the post season.

The OL seems outstanding at pass pro but awful at run blocking.  I know guys have different skill sets but I put this more on mentality and tone setting.

I'm always of two minds with Daboll. On the one hand , he's a creative genius who has really helped Josh's development and made our offense elite. On the other hand he arrogantly tries to keep with a plan and makes no adjustments even when it isnt working. I get that he was hamstrung by the injuries and the lack of options in the running game but the Chiefs never got punished for blitzing and never had to fear a run option at all, so they could go to town on our receivers with smothering man to man coverage. It was a recipe for disaster. Daboll should have run Yeldon more and had Josh run on designed plays.  The one plus about Yeldon is he is a big body who punishes people trying to tackle him. The KC defense needed to be worn down by the run. Instead they looked just as fresh in the 4th quarter as they did in the first! Overall I was struck by how vanilla everything has been in the playoffs. Why are we scared to run a creative offensive play in an elimination game? We needed some trickery in that game in the worse way. Where was the running back or receiver option throw? why don't we ever do reverses? One jet sweep? The game plan on both sides of the ball was dumb at best, insane at worst!