Who is the imposter in Brian Daboll's Body?

I don't recognize this Brian Daboll offense this postseason as compared to the regular season.  The offense in my opinion looked relatively different as compared to the regular season.  The imagination appeared very vanilla, the jet sweeps were missing (except today when it was too late), and the red zone play calling left a lot to be desired.  I understand players have to execute, but I feel these playoff games were not Daboll at his best.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Something went off the rails with the O this post season and I’m not sure what it was 

I think it’s a little simplistic to blame Daboll although this may be a factor...

The OL struggled today  ...  do we blame Dabs for that? 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Something went off the rails with the O this post season and I’m not sure what it was 

I think it’s a little simplistic to blame Daboll although this may be a factor...

The OL struggled today ( although played good last week )...  do we blame Dabs for that? 

It's probably a little simplistic sure, but the play calling looked different to me this postseason as compared to the regular season.  For example, during the Colts game, we purposely ran Josh directly into the gauntlet which yielded very little expect putting him at risk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been super surprised at the Daboll love this year. This place was ripping that guy a new butthole every week in 2018/19. 

That said Romo was pretty critical of the coaching staff on both sides of the ball as the game went on. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1

I dunno what happened to Daboll as the offense was no where near as creative as it was for the last regular season games. 

Week 15, Denver 48-19

Week 16, New England 38-9

Week 17, Miami 56-26

For the playoffs, against the Colts they barely won 27-24. Against the Ravens the Bills offense only scored 10 points. 

My take is the Bills offense was exposed as a one dimensional team...a total passing offense with little or no run game...save the QB runs.

The Bills rushed in this game 18 times and 7 by the QB which means the Bills RB's got only 11 carries. 

Meanwhile, with the Chiefs going man defense with their DBs shadowing the Bills receivers Josh Allen had nobody open most of the night. What did Tony Romo call it? Sticky defense?

QB Josh Allen is only in his third season starting and is still learning. Andy Reid and the Chiefs have been in the playoffs since 2013. Seven seasons to fine tune his schemes. 

Another factor might have been lingering injuries to John Brown, Stefon Diggs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah-

Seems like Daboll "outsmarted himself" this post-season. Offense was just so, well... "Let's just line up and play"

Crazy since the "exotic" stuff worked so well all year.

This game, more than any other should have featured all the smoke and mirrors. And where the heck were the hot routes yesterday when kc was just blitzing all night?

• Like (+1) 5

i was anti dabol for the longest.  

he really turned a corner this season, but had regression this post season.  didn't pass enough early vs indy, scheme was unbalanced and ineffective vs baltimore (im willing to say weather and the baltimore d was the bigger part of that tho), and vs KC i do think he was hamstrung by injuries to our best RB (out) and our 2 and 3 and 4 WRs being dinged up or basically to hurt to play (beez was in and out, davis was basically a no show w his injuries, and brown was somewhere inbetween).

if the bills coaches had billicheck in game adjustment ability, the would have let josh make one or two reads and just run the ball, he could have run for like 150 if he kept it more, and on d they would have done something to disrupt kelsey getting free releases.  still woulda lost the game tho.

we got out coached, and badly, but with who we had healthy and who we have overall, we just weren't going to beat KC where KC was playing hard and dirty.

Folks.  Take a deep breath into a paper bag a few times.(and none of the funny smoke in there!).

What impressed me is the number of times that Allen had to throw the ball away or try to squeze it into a small, difficult to catch window.  The announcers were saying multiple times, and showed the replays,  "Everybody is covered with sticky coverage".   Guess what.  The Chiefs are good and often had 3 WR blanketed.  Against most teams, Allen is good enough to find the 1 of 3 that is sort of open and get a completion.  Not against this very good team.  We have to build the team not only to get into the playoffs, but also to beat KC. .. ...  We do NOT have a weapon at running back.  That hurts the passing game too much. It is pretty simple.

We got into the playoffs and had a great season.  The job now is to maintain that position AND rebuild the roster on the success so that it can also take on and beat the Chiefs

This is a hell of a lot more fun than trying to stay out of the basement !!!

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Yeah-

Seems like Daboll "outsmarted himself" this post-season. Offense was just so, well... "Let's just line up and play"

Crazy since the "exotic" stuff worked so well all year.

This game, more than any other should have featured all the smoke and mirrors. And where the heck were the hot routes yesterday when kc was just blitzing all night?

That was my frustration too, zero hot route outlets.  It was like we had no plan for their blitz.

How is that possible?

In an NFL blitz scenario, the qb AND receivers need to react immediately and the ball needs to come out at the 2 second mark.  We looked like we had never practiced beating a blitz package.   Ugly.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm a firm believer that one big play can change the momentum of a game. Daboll didn't call anything that was creative or threw the kc defense off. I kept yelling at my TV to throw screens. I don't know what daboll has against them. Yeldon woulda been perfect for them and could eat up yards with them. I mean this was the championship game, you have to pull out all the gadgets, especially when kc is just killing you most of the game 

• Like (+1) 3

From one of the most creative offensives to running the same play over and over again in the playoffs.  Presnap movement just went away.  Mckenzie went away.  Running schemes went away.  They tried nothing new, and didn't even run creative plays that worked this year.

Daboll had a lot of questionable times during the season that was overlooked, but the guy was just plain awful in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

KC is not a good defense.  No idea what happened with play calling, but it was disastrous. 

Their D is pretty solid.  They get pressure with 4, their corners are solid, and they have a stud safety...  

• Like (+1) 1