32 rush yards from our running backs

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

One of the big issues we have is we don’t have anyone that can pressure the QB consistently. Hughes and Addison are becoming fossils and Epenesa doesn’t look like he has that kind of burst to be a consistent disrupter.  We desperately need someone who can create pressure and we need another playmaker on offense, preferably a pass catcher.

I'm in this camp. We don't have the Barrett and Pierre Paul combo that can generate 5 sacks and consistent pressure to turn a game. We need this badly. AJ is not it. Hughes is 1/2 it. (maybe) Addison was useless.  To me this is our #1 off-season need. #2 is an LB who can cover a top TE.  #3 is an LB who can wreak havoc in the pass rush.  #4 WR2 (maybe if Brown is healthy, he fits it, maybe Gabe steps up) but we need more speed and separation.  #5. A breakaway threat at RB

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Beane totally understands that the Bills are inadequate at RB, that's why when the Jets released Bell he tried to sign him but lost out to KC (where he was injured & out yesterday).  

While there are other positions of need, the Bills need to spend their #1 pick (30th) on a RB, just like KC did last year with pick 32.  

After the game I declared Singletary is the Terry Miller of the 21st century-best season as a rookie & then fades away.  

We actually don’t need to do that at all.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The DL is one of the most expensive in the league.  The problem on defense is value.

I think the run scheme is OK, the run blocking is losing the battle in the trenches.  It's OK when we try against the average DLs but it fails against the best.

Looked the tackles couldnt keep up with the speed of the chiefs D.     Seems like this is where we have used Singletary to help chip before. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Here’s the thing, I don’t want us running more. I just want us to run better when we do. Moss and Singletary are slow and have little big play ability. 

We have an MVP caliber QB who led one of the best offenses in the league to 13 wins. The last thing I want to do is take the ball out of his hands to run the ball more. We are a passing offense now. If you’re telling me we need to draft a RB high then I’m not thrilled with the idea. I’d rather draft lineman high and look for a speedy back in the mid to late rounds. 

One of the big issues we have is we don’t have anyone that can pressure the QB consistently. Hughes and Addison are becoming fossils and Epenesa doesn’t look like he has that kind of burst to be a consistent disrupter. 

We desperately need someone who can create pressure and we need another playmaker on offense, preferably a pass catcher

I agree with this to a point.  The problem I see with our RB's' particularly Singleterry is the lack of production in the passing game.  Tow recent examples:

1)  Against the Ravens the Bills had the perfect screen set up.  Singleterry catches the ball and slips.  That should have been a 20 yard gain.

2)  Against KC Singleterry drops a potential 20 yard or more gain on a simple swing pass.

That's a lot of yards lost on two simple plays.  With our downfield WR threat and Allen's threat to run our RB's should be putting up big time receiving numbers but they don't.  And that's a big problem but also a big opportunity for the Bills to cheaply add firepower to this offense.

• Agree 1

And one nasty drop.  

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with this to a point.  The problem I see with our RB's' particularly Singleterry is the lack of production in the passing game.  Tow recent examples:

1)  Against the Ravens the Bills had the perfect screen set up.  Singleterry catches the ball and slips.  That should have been a 20 yard gain.

2)  Against KC Singleterry drops a potential 20 yard or more gain on a simple swing pass.

That's a lot of yards lost on two simple plays.  With our downfield WR threat and Allen's threat to run our RB's should be putting up big time receiving numbers but they don't.  And that's a big problem but also a big opportunity for the Bills to cheaply add firepower to this offense.

So true.  Finding an upgrade to Singletary would be cheap and easy.  

• Like (+1) 1

I looked at some of the teams the Patriots beat in years past and they beat some phenomenal offenses with good D.  Look at their first win in 2001.  They held the greatest show on turf to under 20 points.  That was a HOF RB, QB and 2 HOF caliber receivers.  Ditto what they did to the chargers in AFC championship games when they had LT, Rivers, Gates.  The 2008 patriots were beat by a great D and great pass rush of the giants.

yes, a prolific O can win but only until it gets shutdown.

We can’t win shootouts everytime.  We win if we keep KC under 20 points.  A RB doesn’t fix that.  DE might. 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's a great point and I think is the better argument for replacing Singletary, not his running ability.

A lot of people here talk about the value of a running back's home run ability but I think versatility is far more important.  Kamara is Kamara because you can put him anywhere on the field and he's a mismatch...same goes for Barkley, Hunt, Aaron Jones, McCaffrey, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I really don't get how so few commenters put so much of the blame on the backs and so little on the offensive line/scheme.  I get that it's frustrating watching Motor consistently getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage but is that really because he's slow, lacks burst & isn't a home run hitter?

Motor and Moss were both at the bottom of the league in yards before contact but Motor was near the top in yards after contact and Moss was middle of the pack.  Maybe a bit more speed means they could hit the hole faster but I really think the issue is that the holes weren't there in the first place either because the line simply doesn't run block well or the scheme doesn't create holes.

The whole run game thing is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum to me.

It's not that we were totally inept at running the football.  We had 3 games (NE, LAC, DEN) where our rush yards (after subtracting Allen) exceeded the run ave. of the top 5 rush teams in the league. 

All 3 of those teams are in the bottom half of the league for rush YPA given up - 20th, 17th, and 29th. 

If you look at "Chopping Wood" with Eric Wood and also a couple of Cover1 episodes - I think YPP had some stuff too maybe? or Baldy? - they have some great breakdowns of how our run plays are well designed and effective when properly executed. 

I think there are two factors.  One, I believe our OL isn't strong and/or technically sound enough to sustain blocks against the best front-7s.  Two, I think it's not a sufficient focus of our week-to-week practice to maintain the timing and execution at a high enough level.  Daboll wants to keep it in the closet and then pull it out and dust it off every 3rd week or something like that, and that isn't working.

Now the interesting thing is that KC is in the lower half of the league for rush YPA, 20th.  But they were "Crunk" yesterday.  They really seemed to have us diagnosed beautifully, also.

12 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

That's a great point and I think is the better argument for replacing Singletary, not his running ability.

A lot of people here talk about the value of a running back's home run ability but I think versatility is far more important.  Kamara is Kamara because you can put him anywhere on the field and he's a mismatch...same goes for Barkley, Hunt, Aaron Jones, McCaffrey, etc.

Yes.  I had hopes for Singletary to emerge in the screen and short passing game.  I don't believe he was noted as a pass catcher in college?  But we need a guy who can be a bit more clutch in those situations.