32 rush yards from our running backs

BALANCE...been saying it for awhile now. The Bills NEED a run game and if they had a RB like Alvin Kamara...WOW! BTW, Alvin was a 3rd round pick. 

The offensive line needs upgrades as does the RB position. The defense too, surrendered 38 points. 

Don't feel bad boys, the Packers, Saints, Steelers, Titans, Colts, Rams, Seahawks are all sitting at home for the SB too. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

OK.  This is an "I told you so".  I was the one who started multiple threads the last two drafts saying that we had to get a running back that would scare people and who had speed that could break off big chunks of yardage.  I got mocked as an idiot because "running backs are a dime a dozen and you could pick them up from anywhere."

So the Bills went with a one dimensional offense and the other team knew that they could ignore the run and just play the pass.  Against most teams this worked pretty well to get wins.  Today it got exploded.

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Been saying this for awhile; the lack of RB production is an achilles heel to this team.  You still need a relative threat of balance.

I been saying this all year. 

Without a run game it's almost impossible to get to the SB. They gotta land an elite rb 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This didn't quite soak in during the game.

We had 126 rush yards overall, which is respectable

32 rush yards from our RBs.

15 from Yeldon on 3 carries

17 from Singletary on 6 carries

88 from Josh Allen on 7 carries

We have no rushing game

While our strength is our passing game -- it's axiomatic that if a team has a weakness that the D doesn't need to account for, they can blanket and take away other aspects more easily

yeah it’s not a good look being that one dimensional but they’re a passing team now.

i am way, way more concerned with their complete inability to cover tight ends. The Bills zone D has problems that good teams like KC can exploit all day long.

Here is a post from April of this year.  Remember that usually, the draft has 3 tiers of good players.  1->15= all pro types,,,, 16->50= people who you can expect to start and 50->250 a good chance to be a backup or inferior starter.  this is a generalization but is about right. (An indication of this is to see how much that the "more expert than you and I" people agree on the people who are in each group.).  You get what you pay for, most of the time.

Members

1,627 posts

Posted April 23, 2020 (edited)

Just for interest to see how some Big Boards rate the running backs. I think these rankings are better than my opinion about the relative merits and draft values of the players and would be of interest to people concerning the economic and value use of our 2nd and third round pick.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

18   Dobbins

23   Swift

25   Taylor

37   Helaire

76   Moss

84   Gibson

88   Benjamin

Akens not listed   correction   #41 in this board

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/19/draft-big-board-updated-top-255-prospects

23   Swift

29   Taylor

33   Dobbins

44   Heliare

66   Akers

88   Moss

106  Benjamin

107  Gibson

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard

14   Swift

17   Taylor

32   Helaire

46   Akers

48   Moss

50   Dobbins

77   Dillon

92   Perine

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/nfl-mock-draft-2020-see-the-composite-big-board-featuring-the-top-100-prospects.html

The rankings used for this year’s big board come from NFL.com’s Gil Brandt from April 13, Pro Football Focus from April 14, USA Today Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling from April 17, NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah from April 20 and SB Nation’s Dan Kadar from April 21.

29   Swift

38   Taylor

49   Dobbins

49   Helaire

65   Akers

77   Moss

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board

33   Swift

45   Taylor

48   Dobbins5

51   Helaire

65   Akers

80   Moss

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/2020-nfl-draft-rankings-big-board-top-300/3/

17   2Taylor  

21   Swift

42   Dobbins

47   Akers

49   Helaire

59   Moss

Overall averages for the top RB

24   Swift

28   Taylor

44   Hilaire

48   Dobbins

....Bills pick at #54

55   Akers   still at 55

71 Moss

...Bills pick at #86

Edited April 24, 2020 by maryland-bills-fan

Bob in NoCal

Moss and Singletary are where you get backups or are taking crapshoots.   Please think about this:  for many position players, you have a limited amount of film and such.  For running backs and WR, they are out where you can see them in college and not much is missed.

5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Here is a post from April of this year.  Remember that usually, the draft has 3 tiers of good players.  1->15= all pro types,,,, 16->50= people who you can expect to start and 50->250 a good chance to be a backup or inferior starter.  this is a generalization but is about right. (An indication of this is to see how much that the "more expert than you and I" people agree on the people who are in each group.).  You get what you pay for, most of the time.

Moss and Singletary are where you get backups or are taking crapshoots.   Please think about this:  for many position players, you have a limited amount of film and such.  For running backs and WR, they are out where you can see them in college and not much is missed.

Good points, but Sammy Watkins comes to mind.  There are a lot of high picks that don’t live up to expectations, particularly on WR and RB. Don’t forget, Ladanian Tomlinson never played in a super bowl.  

I think the worst thing we can do is use a 1st rounder on a RB.  An upgrade at RB would help but they can be obtained in other ways.  Invest a high pick on D.

• Like (+1) 1

The lack of a running game goes back to the offensive line, or a lack thereof. Our center, who should be the anchor, is the weakest link. Any off tackle run attempted by the Bills this year has been blown up by the stout defensive lines (another weakness of the Bills) leaving nowhere to run. 

Last night's game showed the weaknesses in our line when the guards don't overpower their men. The d line was on top of Allen before any of the receivers were open. Of course, the bad Josh showed up last night and he refused to dump the ball off to the short man. And when he did, the pass was dropped. Which all goes back to the running backs.

It's a chicken or the egg question. Which problem will be addressed to stop the downward spiral.

Just now, deadbeef said:

Good points, but Sammy Watkins comes to mind.  There are a lot of high picks that don’t live up to expectations, particularly on WR and RB. Don’t forget, Ladanian Tomlinson never played in a super bowl.  

I think the worst thing we can do is use a 1st rounder on a RB.  An upgrade at RB would help but they can be obtained in other ways.  Invest a high pick on D.

Well we pick at #30 and #62.  I would like to see some horse trading to get us two players in the 33 ->50 range, one of which would be a speedy running back.

6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The lack of a running game goes back to the offensive line, or a lack thereof. Our center, who should be the anchor, is the weakest link. Any off tackle run attempted by the Bills this year has been blown up by the stout defensive lines (another weakness of the Bills) leaving nowhere to run. 

Last night's game showed the weaknesses in our line when the guards don't overpower their men. The d line was on top of Allen before any of the receivers were open. Of course, the bad Josh showed up last night and he refused to dump the ball off to the short man. And when he did, the pass was dropped. Which all goes back to the running backs.

It's a chicken or the egg question. Which problem will be addressed to stop the downward spiral.

The speed to hit the hole or outrun the defence to the corner are also involved in this.  Not to be snarky, but did you see how often KC started their blocks and motion to one side (setting up blocks) and then ran to the other side, using slipped blocks to get a convoy ahead of the runner?  You don't scare them with an inferior back. They have fewer ways to make mistakes.

1 minute ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The speed to hit the hole or outrun the defence to the corner are also involved in this.  Not to be snarky, but did you see how often KC started their blocks and motion to one side (setting up blocks) and then ran to the other side, using slipped blocks to get a convoy ahead of the runner?  You don't scare them with an inferior back. They have fewer ways to make mistakes.

Motion? There is no motion in Daboll's offense, which is huge weakness. We finally saw McKittrick in a few plays last night, but overall, it's a stagnant offense. 

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Motion? There is no motion in Daboll's offense, which is huge weakness. We finally saw McKittrick in a few plays last night, but overall, it's a stagnant offense. 

I wonder where the jet sweep has gone the last few games?  I haven't though of whether it would have worked/not worked. I wonder.

1 hour ago, deadbeef said:

A better run game would not have beat the chiefs.  The problem is the chiefs scored too many points. They punted once.

Defence wins championships.

Seems like the KC offense won the championship yesterday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColeB said:

And yet again I don’t understand why Yeldon didn’t play during the season.  It was only a few touches but he looked far better than Singletary and Moss did all year.  He was running hard.  Singletary seemed so slow getting to the line.

I wonder how much of the post-draft comments about Singletary was just fluff.  Or, would they have taken David Montgomery if the Bears hadn’t picked him with the pick before?

yelden was a clearly superior player, with the possible exception of pass blocking (don't know either way, just could be something i missed) than motor.

the two play combo, when we were up 9-0, where we ran power right and had good OL execution and motor gets 3 yards, and then he drops a sure fire first down and more lob pass on the screen (again to the right) just shows me he's at best JAG.  

the saddest thing about the above is Yeldon is a career 2nd or 3rd guy in the NFL, who doesn't really stay w a team for too long at a time.  he's a pure replacement level player, and aside from Moss having some solid power running late in the season (im gonna hope he recovers and is a solid back going forward), he was better than what we saw at RB all year.

our line stinks at run blocking, we are a kinda smoke and mirrors finesse team on both sides of the ball, but it's overly evident that we simply do not have good players at RB and TE, KC knew that and rolled us in a laugher.

20 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I wonder where the jet sweep has gone the last few games?  I haven't though of whether it would have worked/not worked. I wonder.

Yeah! The more you play the same offense,  the easier it gets to defend. With Gabe not telling the truth and allowing a healthy wr play hamstrung the offense. Along with Brown and Beasley limping along, the d could just cover Diggs man up with the safety on top and they had the whole offense in front of them. If you can't open your offensive play book, it's easier to defend.

2 hours ago, deadbeef said:

A better run game would not have beat the chiefs.  The problem is the chiefs scored too many points. They punted once.

Defence wins championships.

Except for KC where offense wins them LOL. 

2 hours ago, motorj said:

When kc started scoring at will in the 1st qtr I dont think rushing carries were on the coaches minds

It should have been