32 rush yards from our running backs

9 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Thats what made this game so odd to me...the chiefs pretty much just single covered everyone with a safety over the top they didn't at all sell out to stop the pass...that is the worst way to scheme against our offense and their secondary just played out of their minds lol I didn't at all expect that.  

IMHO and just based on watching during the game......this reminded me of the first half of the Steelers game where Josh just lacked that extra fraction of a second to set and make a more accurate pass.

We were able to make adjustments in the 2nd half of the Steelers game.  Today, Not So Much.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, gobills404 said:

According to ESPNs next gen stats, our line ranked 29th in run block win rate. Despite that, we finished 9th in yards per carry by running backs according to pro football outsiders. Spending a high pick or decent money on a RB would be a complete waste.

www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings%3fplatform=amp

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/foplus/dvoa-database/basic-offensive-defensive-line-stats?year=2020&offense_defense=overall

I did a deep dive into several games and my conclusion was that we were getting stuffed in the run largely because of our OL losing on run blocking against the better DLs.  I haven't done this for all the games, and we improved after the bye.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Lack of Offensive line production in the running game too.  Both aspects need to be worked on.

^this. Our OL was one of the best PassPro units in the league this year. A huge reason why Allen’s passing stats were so prolific. However, upgrading the RB while retaining the OL unit and scheme won’t yield much difference. If you want a run game start with the line. Our scheme and run blocking were atrocious.

For that matter, both lines could use some serious targeted investment...

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 3

It was exposed, but not unexpected. You dance with who brung ya at this point though, and I’m not sure the Bills did that tonight. Josh Allen not having at least one rushing TD in this game was inexcusable. Daboll was hugely underwhelming tonight, and McD couldn’t resist extremely conservative decisions when it was obvious TDs were going to be needed. The Bills will want to address the RB spot in the off-season, but I believe tonight’s game was winnable with the players they had. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We have no rushing game, great thread. Completely agree. 

Is it Daboll or just the backs? Maybe it's the backs because if they were better then Daboll would trust them more? Who knows, but you can't be this unbalanced. Chiefs beat us with the run when needed both games this year. We beat nobody with the run, all games this year.

Am I reading correctly that Kenyan Drake will be a free agent? Give me him over anybody if that's the case

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How many did the Chiefs have? 

Permit me to empower you

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58500/KC_Gamebook.pdf

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

We have no rushing game, great thread. Completely agree. 

Is it Daboll or just the backs? Maybe it's the backs because if they were better then Daboll would trust them more? Who knows, but you can't be this unbalanced. Chiefs beat us with the run when needed both games this year. We beat nobody with the run, all games this year.

Am I reading correctly that Kenyan Drake will be a free agent? Give me him over anybody if that's the case

IMO it's the line.  We can't run block as well as we need to to spring them. 

Moss gave us a power back who can get several YPC on his own.

Singletary needs a hole.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Diggs was talked about the same way,  that is total nonsense

I am not sure if he is genuinely a good guy or not. But an arrest, suspended for punching Shaq, sleeping during team Meetings, supposedly Quitting on his team (promoting Coughlin to issue a statement). Maybe he is misunderstood—but those aren’t great indicators of the types of high character players the Bills like.

Beyond that, on the field, he seems pretty meh. For a guy that was to highly touted out of college, he seems like just an okay back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

^this. Our OL was one of the best PassPro units in the league this year. A huge reason why Allen’s passing stats were so prolific. However, upgrading the RB while retaining the OL unit and scheme won’t yield much difference. If you want a run game start with the line. Our scheme and run blocking were atrocious.

For that matter, both lines could use some serious targeted investment...

The DL is one of the most expensive in the league.  The problem on defense is value.

I think the run scheme is OK, the run blocking is losing the battle in the trenches.  It's OK when we try against the average DLs but it fails against the best.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Maybe that's by design.  They need to do better job of opening holes for RBs.  

Maybe,  one thing i don't want to see is Sean gets involved in the offence and we get away from a pass heavy offence.  Its a passing league,  the teams that pass the best usually win.  Caveman football is for losers

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The DL is one of the most expensive in the league.  The problem on defense is value.

I think the run scheme is OK, the run blocking is losing the battle in the trenches.  It's OK when we try against the average DLs but it fails against the best.

Well after this year they get out of . murphy butler and jefferson so some of these expensive d line contracts are going away and the opportunity to upgrade is there.

They definitely need to bring some balance to the offense and improve the pass rush though.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is what I mean by targeted investment - rather than commit cap, target where we need to spend on the DL. I think what we saw this season was a combination of one, preparing depth for covid complications and two, compensating for the rotation depth. Plenty of fat can be trimmed from the DL going into next season and I suspect they will. But there’s a difference between investing wholesale and targeted investment.

As for the run scheme, it feeds into the outcome. I agree, could be attributed to straight performance, however there were numerous times where either Morse or even Mongo were missing assignments, seemingly confused by lack of communication on twists/stunts and simply just missing blocks. To me, most of what I saw this season was lack of scheme and player execution. I can’t say whether that falls on Morse for assignments, Allen for shifting assignments, coaching, or a combination of the above - but I was hardly impressed by the scheme and execution, especially when it mattered tonight. Pass pro was exceptional this season so it gives an interesting issue heading into next season as you don’t exactly want to lose that. We’re a passing offense. But more can be done from a system level to address the failing run game performance beyond simply dumping money into an RB contract. I’d rather see us shore up the ends of the OL with Williams, and double down on drafting a new C and OG. Trim the fat along the DL and maybe invest in another FA or draft pick there. I think they find an RB in FA like Carson, but until the run game is addressed from the top down I don’t think we see much of a change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Isn’t that what Diggs and Beasley are for?

The Bills aren’t short of playmakers. The Chiefs just have the best QB, WR, TE combo in the league and it’s not even close. 

Bills defense isn't running with Kelce or Hill. 

Diggs and Beasley are great but they are not Hill/ Kelce

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Bills defense isn't running with Kelce or Hill. 

Diggs and Beasley are great but they are not Hill/ Kelce

Diggs is elite, but in a different way.  We do need a second weapon.  It didn't help that Beasley and Davis were hampered tonight.

Different teams have to find different players.  The problem we face is in different areas, but similar to the Ravens: if a team has a known, readily observable gap in their offensive game, the opponent can double-down to stop other areas.  The Chiefs weren't worried about our run game.

If we aren't punting so much, or settling for FG, we don't need to spend so much time chasing Kelce and Hill.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Diggs is elite, but in a different way.  We do need a second weapon.  It didn't help that Beasley and Davis were hampered tonight.

Different teams have to find different players.  The problem we face is in different areas, but similar to the Ravens: if a team has a known, readily observable gap in their offensive game, the opponent can double-down to stop other areas.  The Chiefs weren't worried about our run game.

If we aren't punting so much, or settling for FG, we don't need to spend so much time chasing Kelce and Hill.

Where was Davis that's my point.?Chiefs had a guy fumble and given us a 9-0 lead. They brought him right back and he made couple of big plays .