McDermott says “they’ve got a lot of speed”

FluffHead

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

We need more than speed.

We need a strength, size & power on the lines. Being able to collapse the pocket, stuff the run, pressure the QB, etc. would in turn help our secondary. Our O-line has played great all year, but reinforcing that group & giving them a stud RB would make us less one-dimensional.

Aside from that, it's about execution. I've been a broken record on this for years when people b*****d about our Offensive Coordinators, but when you don't execute on the field, it doesn't matter who's calling the plays. We've seen it in many games where the playcalls have been perfect, but a dropped pass, an overthrown deep ball, a missed block, etc. just ruins it.

I agree with this mostly, thought I will say even on defense there is a need for speed. 

As for calls vs execution I didn't love all Daboll's play calls tonight - especially in the redzone - but he had one on the series where we ended up kicking the FG in the 3rd Quarter where he got Diggs into a position where he was covered by Sorenson and that was Allen's first read. The problem was Chris Jones demolished Feliciano off the snap and forced Josh off his spot immediately. That is an example of where the playcaller can do everything right and execution by the players fails him. If Feliciano gives Allen 2 seconds there that is a touchdown. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

You know who had great speed? 

TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin,

and Aaron Maybin. 

the chiefs’ receivers are fast, but they can do a lot of other things well too. Hill is pretty much a complete receiver. 

Sammy Watkins, Marquise Goodwill, Lesean McCoy, Robert Woods, Percy Harvin, Charles Clay. We had all that speed but couldn't take advantage and stay healthy...

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

You always draft the speed guys,  Metcalf in this game would have been a huge difference

Your lips to God's ears. Would Metcalf have made more of a difference than you-know-who?

You're damned right he would have. What an absolute waste that pick was.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Your lips to God's ears. Would Metcalf have made more of a difference than you-know-who?

Ed played well last night. That said, he hasn't played at a top 10 pick level yet. He is a good player. He certainly isn't a wasted pick, but he does kind of fit the Beane bill of a good starter but not a difference maker. We have drafted too many of those is my biggest criticism of this front office. Still.... I remain of the view if you are going to hammer a 2019 pick it is Cody Ford who at this stage might not be a NFL starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Ed played well last night. That said, he hasn't played at a top 10 pick level yet. He is a good player. He certainly isn't a wasted pick, but he does kind of fit the Beane bill of a good starter but not a difference maker. We have drafted too many of those is my biggest criticism of this front office. Still.... I remain of the view if you are going to hammer a 2019 pick it is Cody Ford who at this stage might not be a NFL starter. 

You had a shot at EXCELLENCE in the top ten. Instead you took a guy who hasn't made any kind of real impact at a position that's second tier.

Of all beane's acquisitions, that's his most questionable. Undoubtedly wasted a top 10pick.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

You had a shot at EXCELLENCE in the top ten. Instead you took a guy who hasn't made any kind of real impact at a position that's second tier.

Of all beane's acquisitions, that's his most questionable. Undoubtedly wasted a top 10pick.

I don't agree because Oliver is still a really talented athlete. And he has the thing our defense so obviously needs more of to compete with the Chiefs - speed. I think his most questionable selections are the safe pick guys - the low floor, low ceiling players - Cody Ford, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, AJ Epenesa. Oliver and Dawson Knox and Tremaine Edmunds who are high ceiling athletes are the guys we absolutely need to pick. And isn't that you whole point about DK - he is a high ceiling athlete and so the Bills should have overlooked injuries, effort issues (which definitely cropped up late this year in Seattle) and limited production to pick him? 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree because Oliver is still a really talented athlete. And he has the thing our defense so obviously needs more of to compete with the Chiefs - speed. I think his most questionable selections are the safe pick guys - the low floor, low ceiling players - Cody Ford, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, AJ Epenesa. Oliver and Dawson Knox and Tremaine Edmunds who are high ceiling athletes are the guys we absolutely need to pick. And isn't that you whole point about DK - he is a high ceiling athlete and so the Bills should have overlooked injuries, effort issues (which definitely cropped up late this year in Seattle) and limited production to pick him? 

Yeah. But the problem is, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Mr. Invisible has a high ceiling. 

Que sera, sera. Spilled milk at this point. We're stuck with him for another couple years.

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

You always draft the speed guys,  Metcalf in this game would have been a huge difference

John Brown is a legit 4.34 guy.    Meanwhile, Metcalf and his team lost in the wild card round.  Speed wasnt the issue last night.   You could have had Metcalf running all the 9 routes in the world last night and it would have made no difference with Allen running backwards the second he caught the snap because the o-line couldnt block.

The Chiefs have great skill players, but they wouldnt have mattered last night either if the Bills had any pass rush.   The bottom line is the Bills got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball.   Josh was running for his life, and Mahomes was standing in the pocket playing against a dline who couldnt catch a cold last night.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah. But the problem is, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Mr. Invisible has a high ceiling. 

Que sera, sera. Spilled milk at this point. We're stuck with him for another couple years.

I think you ignore those moments. There was one on that first KC drive last night. He made a tackle for loss on the fringe of the redzone then beat his blocker across his face on the next play and forced Mahomes to just throw it into the ground essentially. 3rd and 11 almost all Ed's doing. They completed a pass on 3rd and 11 for 10 yards and then converted on 4th and 1. It is not fair to say Ed Oliver is invisible. It is, however, absolutely fair to say there isn't enough consistency even within games and moreso across the season. Next year is a big year for him with the 5th year option decision at the end of it. He needs to take a big step in his consistency. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I don’t care what McClappy says. I want super bowl wins. If he can’t start delivering, he can start looking elsewhere. 

How long did Andy Reed wait for his SuperBowl ring? That was a statement from a Rookie, indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Juat a tad premature, dontcha think? 

There will be a lot of overreaction this morning. It is understandable fans are disappointed. But this team is still on an upward curve. They have to find a way to beat Kansas City, because we are sure as hell gonna come up against them in the post season again in the next few years, but there is no reason for anyone to throw out the baby with the bathwater. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ford was a waste,  was a huge reach and has done next to nothing so far while Metcalf looks like he will be a HOF WR