We need play makers

We need to coach a better game when we know players are going to be allowed to commit defensive holding and illegal contact all game long with no flags. Fair play to them. They dared the refs to call it and they haven't all playoff long.

Where were the rub routes? The stacked bunch formations that make this type of stuff impossible? Why line up in normal formations that allow the Chiefs to do it easily? 

If you know this is what is going to happen then why not incorporate things on a constant basis that make it near impossible to do it well?

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did nothing most of the season,  if you watched he could not get separation and cost Allen on interception.  Will be on the wrong side of 30 with big cap number,  time to part ways or he takes a big haircut to return

Strong disagree on that one! Josh threw that ball into triple coverage. Bad decision by Josh, but to be fair it was desperation time and he was just trying to make a play.

We have plenty of playmakers.  We were at the top or near the top with the most 20+ yard plays.  We lead the AFC in scoring.

We just were flat on offense the past two weeks.  We played tight in both games.

We also need to fix the running game.

I think we will grow from this.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Just now, dave mcbride said:

They definintely had trouble, but on the pick, Brown was surrounded by three defenders. That’s all I’m saying.

i gotta disagree w your disagreement!  it was a tough play, but the ball hit his hands near the end zone, he had a decent gain and a shot at the endzone, and he folded.

josh took a few bad sacks/intentional grounding that cost us a bunch of yards, but he also ran around and got out of horrible blocking from our OL a few times.  we can't have him being jonny miracle back there while our skill talent fails to get open or fails to make a play when their number is called.  beez and digs are the only guys who can consistently win their assignments, and kc had the silly idea to take them away as opposed to our superior strategy of letting our opponent destroy us with their best players over and over.

We really have no playmakers on defense.  Milano and White make a play every now and then.   Pressure from the front four would obviously help (IMO, Butler, Addison and Jefferson added very little).  LB play in general was sub-par, and frankly, I didn't think that Tre was very good this season. 

Singletary is a below-average NFL RB (and frankly shouldn't be near the top of a RB depth chart for an NFL team).  Has he really made anyone miss since the Rams game?  Poor hands as well.  Moss looks more of an RB2.  

Knox looked stiffer when he caught the ball this year versus last.  No fluidity at all.  

Definitely need more speed at TE/RB.  

At WR, is Davis a big-bodied red zone threat?  He has a big frame, but does he use his size?  Seems that too often this year, he let the ball come to him, rather than attacking the ball in the air.  Is Hodgins the big-bodied red zone threat?

Lots of questions to be answered this off-season.

6 minutes ago, colin said:

i gotta disagree w your disagreement!  it was a tough play, but the ball hit his hands near the end zone, he had a decent gain and a shot at the endzone, and he folded.

josh took a few bad sacks/intentional grounding that cost us a bunch of yards, but he also ran around and got out of horrible blocking from our OL a few times.  we can't have him being jonny miracle back there while our skill talent fails to get open or fails to make a play when their number is called.  beez and digs are the only guys who can consistently win their assignments, and kc had the silly idea to take them away as opposed to our superior strategy of letting our opponent destroy us with their best players over and over.

WRs are far more likely to drop passes in contested situations. Diggs dropped one earlier in a similar situation in the first quarter.  In a situation with three guys around you, it’s harder to see and concentrate than you would if you were actually open. Brown has been great for the Bills and I’m not going to fault him for that one play. Anyway, it was a throw that shouldn’t have been made. If a receiver is basically triple covered, that means someone is gonna be open somewhere else, almost by definition.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well several teams are well over the projected cap, so good players should come available, but maybe the Bills could pry Beckham away from the Browns for less than a first. Not sure I would do that given his injury history, but if healthy that would be a boost.

JuJU Smith Schuster is a free agent I believe, doesn’t solve the speed issue, but could be a playmaker albeit he isn’t as good as before the concussion.

Allen Robinson is another consideration. 

JuJu doesn't seem like a process guy

9 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day KC has more play makers on both sides of the ball,  we will not beat this team unless we add play makers.  

(1) An elite pass rusher is our biggest offseason need ,  which may be the toughest to get,  but our pass coverage looks bad because no consistent pass rush 

(2) Another play making WR or legite #2,  Brown did next to nothing all season and Diggs needs help.  I think Beasley is perfect as #3 of slot WR 

(3) A 3 down back with speed,  both Singletary or Moss are just not good enough and neither player is fast enough.  I would keep Moss and bring in a feature RB,  i have seen enough of Singetary.  That drop tonight was a killer and seem to turn the game around

We add those 3 needs and i like our chances at getting back to championship game and winning it.

#1 I agree, but also agree may be hard to find with money as hard to come by as it is.  I'd cut Butler and Addison which saves close to $16 mil to try and get one, but even if cutting those two still might not be enough when you add in other needs they also have like signing Milano, Feleciano, and Williams. 

The Bills philosophy on the D line is we're not going to have any superstars, but instead will pay for depth so even when we roll out subs in, they will beat you.  In 2018 and 2019, that concept worked pretty well, but this season not so much.  Part of it may have been due to having Jefferson, and Butler play out of position due to Star opting out or maybe they just were all the right guys.

Know idea how common the rotating D line players is, but don't recall Bruce Smith coming out very often.  May be a sign of the times as players in all sports seem to "need" more time off.

#3 Also agree with.  Interesting in that the Bills seem to be one of the few teams in the league that only plays two RB's each week or at least they have a 3rd one to count on to play when needed.  But as little as we ran the ball maybe not needed.  It also plays somewhat into the first point in that we dress 9 D lineman each week due to the rotations where as most teams only have 8 active so one less active roster spot elsewhere.

#2  Don't agree with. We have the #2 already Davis, or maybe Brown IF he takes a big pay cut like in half and is completely healthy and still has the speed, but even then think I'd take the $$ saving and let him go.  There's only maybe two or three teams in the league that have two guys put up more receiving yards than the Bills top 2 and that's KC and Seattle, Tenn came close.  Whether our 2nd best guy plays as a #2 or the slot, overall doesn't change things that much.  Davis also played pretty well as a rookie who likely will improve.  The Bills have too much money in the WR position and can't afford much more.  Maybe if they can sign Kenny Still for $2 to 3 mil I'd be fine with that, but even McKenzie is likely going to take more than a million to sign himself..

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep - we do. 

My sort of nagging doubt about the Bills front office has been that while they are very good at drafting guys who can start in the NFL and haven't really struck out on any of their early picks (possibly Ford, tbc) they haven't drafted enough difference makers. Enough elite play makers. And you need those guys to win. We have three elite players on this team - White who was drafted by McDermott; Diggs who we acquired in a trade; and Allen who was drafted by Beane. 

The two guys who we really need to take that step are Oliver and Edmunds and both continue to flash but haven't shown it consistently. We need one of them at least to get there and to find another in this draft IMO. You look last night and it was KC's elite (or borderline elite) guys who made the big plays - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Mathieu and Clark. They have 6 guys in that elite or right on the cusp club. We have 3. We have to close that gap. 

Totally agree.

It doesn't seem to me that this staff has done very well at identifying talent on the d-line.   Jerry Hughes is done as a consistent playmaker.   This bunch is a bunch of average NFL players including Oliver - no difference makers there.

I think back to the Superbowl years for Buffalo and wonder how much better this season looks with a guy like HOF Bruce Smith playing in his prime.

Now, I know that it is unrealistic to expect the staff to find another Bruce Smith, but I think this team would be substantially upgraded with talent similar to Phil Hanson, Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Dareus, Kyle Williams, etc  who are playing in their prime years.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Need a Chris Jones level lineman. That will pretty much make huge trickle down effect and help every other level of the defense.

ill take a real thumper at LB. Too soft currently.

That’s why we drafted Oliver.  Hasn’t quite panned out.  Beane has his work cut out on improving the defense this year.  It’s going to be tough.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

#1 I agree, but also agree may be hard to find with money as hard to come by as it is.  I'd cut Butler and Addison which saves close to $16 mil to try and get one, but even if cutting those two still might not be enough when you add in other needs they also have like signing Milano, Feleciano, and Williams. 

The Bills philosophy on the D line is we're not going to have any superstars, but instead will pay for depth so even when we roll out subs in, they will beat you.  In 2018 and 2019, that concept worked pretty well, but this season not so much.  Part of it may have been due to having Jefferson, and Butler play out of position due to Star opting out or maybe they just were all the right guys.

Know idea how common the rotating D line players is, but don't recall Bruce Smith coming out very often.  May be a sign of the times as players in all sports seem to "need" more time off.

#3 Also agree with.  Interesting in that the Bills seem to be one of the few teams in the league that only plays two RB's each week or at least they have a 3rd one to count on to play when needed.  But as little as we ran the ball maybe not needed.  It also plays somewhat into the first point in that we dress 9 D lineman each week due to the rotations where as most teams only have 8 active so one less active roster spot elsewhere.

#2  Don't agree with. We have the #2 already Davis, or maybe Brown IF he takes a big pay cut like in half and is completely healthy and still has the speed, but even then think I'd take the $$ saving and let him go.  There's only maybe two or three teams in the league that have two guys put up more receiving yards than the Bills top 2 and that's KC and Seattle, Tenn came close.  Whether our 2nd best guy plays as a #2 or the slot, overall doesn't change things that much.  Davis also played pretty well as a rookie who likely will improve.  The Bills have too much money in the WR position and can't afford much more.  Maybe if they can sign Kenny Still for $2 to 3 mil I'd be fine with that, but even McKenzie is likely going to take more than a million to sign himself..

I liked what we saw in Williams who played in Miami game,  showed a burst that neither Moss or Singletary provided us.  That was against a top Miami defence,  with cap money lean i would give him a serious look.  I think they will need to cut guys and absorb some dead money hits to create cap room,  Beane did not have a great free agent offseason last year and we need to do better.  Even getting one big play maker on defence would help get this team to another level

The defence was a problem as season,  we need them to get off the field and reduce those 3rd and long conversations they kept conceding. I like your suggestion of signing Still for 2-3 million.  Do we say goodbye to both Butler and Jefferson which saves us a combined 15 million and only hits us with one mill dead money?  Perhaps us that to get a monster D-LINE anchor player,  as for Brown he would cost near 10 mill and only 1.6 mill dead money if cut.  I don't see him worth that much,  perhaps go sign AJ Green for 4-5 million as compliment #2 WR. Gives us size and is vet who most likely wants to play for a winner