We need play makers

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day KC has more play makers on both sides of the ball,  we will not beat this team unless we add play makers.  

(1) An elite pass rusher is our biggest offseason need ,  which may be the toughest to get,  but our pass coverage looks bad because no consistent pass rush 

(2) Another play making WR or legite #2,  Brown did next to nothing all season and Diggs needs help.  I think Beasley is perfect as #3 of slot WR 

(3) A 3 down back with speed,  both Singletary or Moss are just not good enough and neither player is fast enough.  I would keep Moss and bring in a feature RB,  i have seen enough of Singetary.  That drop tonight was a killer and seem to turn the game around

We add those 3 needs and i like our chances at getting back to championship game and winning it.

Also neeD another good db. Maybe Jackson is one. But I would even like him in the nickle position cuz he is physical!  So speed needed outside necessary.  We could have an elite Rusher if they just quit the failed experiment of edmunds as mlb. WaTch a great lb , white from Tampa, who covers, tackles, makes sacks((9 so far) , while we have our MLB dropping in coverage way too much.  Move edmunds and get a line backer which might be there around #30 in the draft. Plus edmunds could hit kelce more easily from olb than mlb position. But as it stands , we have no answer for good tight ends. Kasicie ( sp) killed us as well. Going to have to find a way to match up with him and kelce.  Maybe look for nickle who is very physical, or get another lb larger than Milano who can match up.

But the bar is set. We can’t keep getting killed by tight ends and we have to get a rb that is better than singletary, who also blew pass blitz pickup and got josh nailed on one play.  It’s obvious Devin is not a quality nfl back. Poor after contact, prone to drops in big games( did same drop when wide open in Tenn game) and can’t pass protect.  Beane has his work cut out. Murphy will be gone. Gaines and Starr already on roster as they opted out this year!  So drafting around 30, I think it’s easier to get quality LB than ant premier rusher. Plus we just drafted our impressive epenesa last year early.  They look to be better qualified at evaluating LBS than dl’s.  

About the wr’s.  Let’s see how off season goes.  Prefer to get another vet than draft. Plus we will have KENNY STILLS already.  What frustrates me is Davis was obviously not100%, yet Mcd refused to take a chance on stills.  Also we saw Yeldon for 2 Nd gsme only and he was better in both games ( tho both losses) than Devin. Yet Mcd refused to use him all season. Mcd needs to learn like Reid to not be afraid to try changes.  He refuses, with another example being Williams vs Miami. Why not bring him up when Devin is avg less than 3.5 yards a Carry?  Not like sitting Devin is like sitting Thurman.  I just don’t get mcds reticence to try new things when run game was poor and Davis , a rookie, was not 100%. Some of these things make you scratch your head. Mcd struggles being aggressive, even admitted he prob should have not kicked the second fg, but should have gone for it. Draft all the talent you want, but if you are afraid to try using it , the process sure gets frustrating At times.  There is no guarantee we will be back here next year. Think we wasted a chance, got out classed, out coached, so hope the coaches do learn ( yet our coordinators have Super Bowl experience already) !  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Kadarius Toney - WR Florida

The end. 

He quicker than fast, he’s not a 4..2 guy I’d say he’s a low 4.4, maybe mid 4.4 at best.

If you eant quick and more WR skills, Jaelon Darden from North Texas is your guy. Dude had like 20 TDs and put up ridiculous numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Any specific names you want to put forward?

Tremaine Edmunds got picked on all night. 

He is way too easily fooled. 

I've been saying all year the D got way better once Edmunds got healthy but idk what to think after his performance tonight 

Yep - we do. 

My sort of nagging doubt about the Bills front office has been that while they are very good at drafting guys who can start in the NFL and haven't really struck out on any of their early picks (possibly Ford, tbc) they haven't drafted enough difference makers. Enough elite play makers. And you need those guys to win. We have three elite players on this team - White who was drafted by McDermott; Diggs who we acquired in a trade; and Allen who was drafted by Beane. 

The two guys who we really need to take that step are Oliver and Edmunds and both continue to flash but haven't shown it consistently. We need one of them at least to get there and to find another in this draft IMO. You look last night and it was KC's elite (or borderline elite) guys who made the big plays - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Mathieu and Clark. They have 6 guys in that elite or right on the cusp club. We have 3. We have to close that gap. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

He is attractive but does he have the speed to cleanly run away from LB and safeties?

They said the same thing about James Robinson in Jacksonville. Look what he did. Speed ain’t everything. Not advocating for Harris either.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You look last night and it was KC's elite (or borderline elite) guys who made the big plays - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Mathieu and Clark. They have 6 guys in that elite or right on the cusp club. We have 3. We have to close that gap. 

I think this understates the problem.  Not only do the Chiefs have more elite players, they have three guys (Hill, Mahomes and Kelce) who are better than anyone on the Bills and are probably as good as anyone who’s ever played at their positions.  (Not comparing Hill to Jerry Rice, but I think he is probably the toughest player to cover that I’ve ever seen.)  

Allen with continued growth can compete with Mahomes, but there is no one like Kelce or Hill on the Bills’ horizon.  On the other hand, neither was a high draft pick, so...

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep - we do. 

My sort of nagging doubt about the Bills front office has been that while they are very good at drafting guys who can start in the NFL and haven't really struck out on any of their early picks (possibly Ford, tbc) they haven't drafted enough difference makers. Enough elite play makers. And you need those guys to win. We have three elite players on this team - White who was drafted by McDermott; Diggs who we acquired in a trade; and Allen who was drafted by Beane. 

The two guys who we really need to take that step are Oliver and Edmunds and both continue to flash but haven't shown it consistently. We need one of them at least to get there and to find another in this draft IMO. You look last night and it was KC's elite (or borderline elite) guys who made the big plays - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Mathieu and Clark. They have 6 guys in that elite or right on the cusp club. We have 3. We have to close that gap. 

Yea, the graphic about home grown talent was posted a couple times but the Bills just do not have enough elite home grown talent. It's Allen/White and that's it. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think this understates the problem.  Not only do the Chiefs have more elite players, they have three guys (Hill, Mahomes and Kelce) who are better than anyone on the Bills and are probably as good as anyone who’s ever played at their positions.  (Not comparing Hill to Jerry Rice, but I think he is probably the toughest player to cover that I’ve ever seen.)  

Allen with continued growth can compete with Mahomes, but there is no one like Kelce or Hill on the Bills’ horizon.  On the other hand, neither was a high draft pick, so...

I think it is less that Hill is just sooooo much better than Diggs.... but it is that Hill is the absolute perfect play to attack the way the Bills play defense. I said it last night but I think if you swap Hill out of KC with almost any of the other top WRs in the NFL - Hopkins, Metcalf, Adams, Evans hell even give the Chiefs Diggs.... and the Bills would just put Tre on them and try and play 10 v 10. Tre can't cover Hill. He can't stay with him. If we upgrade at the other corner spot could you double Hill maybe and then let Tre just shut down the #2.... sort of in the way Belichick tried to defend them? Maybe. I dunno..... I normally come away from a game when the Bills D has been torched with some idea of how I'd do things differently next time. I am at a loss this morning. 

On Kelce - the tight end position has been a problem for our defense all year. That is something they need to think about in the offseason. When they play top end tight ends is it worth bringing a safety up to cover. I'd maybe try that next year. Play a lot of dime and just put Poyer on Kelce? 

I'm spitballing a bit @mannc because there are no easy answers. But I think we need more difference makers. I am adamant about that. They outgun us 6-3 in that regard and no amount of 1/11th type philosophy can overcome talent. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea, the graphic about home grown talent was posted a couple times but the Bills just do not have enough elite home grown talent. It's Allen/White and that's it. 

Agree. I think Beane has done a good job. He drafted Allen, he made the big swing for Diggs, he had a lot of his pick ups get all pro nods and the team had its best year in 27 years. So I get that people might think I am nitpicking but they have to start finding difference makers in the draft not just good players who fit the scheme. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I think Beane has done a good job. He drafted Allen, he made the big swing for Diggs, he had a lot of his pick ups get all pro nods and the team had its best year in 27 years. So I get that people might think I am nitpicking but they have to start finding difference makers in the draft not just good players who fit the scheme. 

I don't think it's nitpicking, it's a fact. Even just from a perspective of overall talent on the team, there just isn't a lot of home grown guys on the Bills current roster. Which is worrying. When's the last time the Bills drafted a difference making pass rusher? 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is less that Hill is just sooooo much better than Diggs.... but it is that Hill is the absolute perfect play to attack the way the Bills play defense. I said it last night but I think if you swap Hill out of KC with almost any of the other top WRs in the NFL - Hopkins, Metcalf, Adams, Evans hell even give the Chiefs Diggs.... and the Bills would just put Tre on them and try and play 10 v 10. Tre can't cover Hill. He can't stay with him. If we upgrade at the other corner spot could you double Hill maybe and then let Tre just shut down the #2.... sort of in the way Belichick tried to defend them? Maybe. I dunno..... I normally come away from a game when the Bills D has been torched with some idea of how I'd do things differently next time. I am at a loss this morning. 

On Kelce - the tight end position has been a problem for our defense all year. That is something they need to think about in the offseason. When they play top end tight ends is it worth bringing a safety up to cover. I'd maybe try that next year. Play a lot of dime and just put Poyer on Kelce? 

I'm spitballing a bit @mannc because there are no easy answers. But I think we need more difference makers. I am adamant about that. They outgun us 6-3 in that regard and no amount of 1/11th type philosophy can overcome talent. 

We need to figure out a way to beat KC.  It won’t be easy, but there are teams who have been more successful than we have, for some reason. The Chargers and Raiders both played the Chiefs very tough this season and those teams aren’t more talented than we are.  There has to be a way.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I don't think it's nitpicking, it's a fact. Even just from a perspective of overall talent on the team, there just isn't a lot of home grown guys on the Bills current roster. Which is worrying. When's the last time the Bills drafted a difference making pass rusher? 

It’s a dirty little secret that under Beane, the Bills really haven’t drafted that well, outside of Josh Allen, who’s covered up for a lot of their sins.  And as great as Diggs was this year, I’m not sure long term the Bills didn’t make a mistake by staying where they were and taking Jefferson, who is going to be a monster...

• Agree 2

I'm really not worried at all about the offense.  We need a RB, but those are easy to come by.  Davis can replace Brown if it comes to that, we have Hodgins sitting on the bench which is kind of like an extra draft pick at this point, and presumably we'll add another WR or two in the off-season because they're like DBs that way.  We should also continue to add competition to the OL, but we would do that anyway.  If we return the exact same offense next year with the addition of a 2nd-round RB, that would be fine with me.

The defense was hugely disappointing this season.  They seemed to coming into form late in the year, and they won the Baltimore game for us, so it's not as if the cupboard is completely bare or anything, but they went from an elite unit last season to a middle-of-the-pack (at best) unit this year for no obvious reason.  Pass rushers are expensive and hard to find, but you have to figure that one or two guys who can get into the backfield consistently would make a big difference here.

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day KC has more play makers on both sides of the ball,  we will not beat this team unless we add play makers.  

(1) An elite pass rusher is our biggest offseason need ,  which may be the toughest to get,  but our pass coverage looks bad because no consistent pass rush 

(2) Another play making WR or legite #2,  Brown did next to nothing all season and Diggs needs help.  I think Beasley is perfect as #3 of slot WR 

(3) A 3 down back with speed,  both Singletary or Moss are just not good enough and neither player is fast enough.  I would keep Moss and bring in a feature RB,  i have seen enough of Singetary.  That drop tonight was a killer and seem to turn the game around

We add those 3 needs and i like our chances at getting back to championship game and winning it.

Brown is good and was on pace for about 1000 yards if you prorate his season, which he missed half of.. He simply got hurt this year. He played great against Baltimore.

When looking at Buffalo and Kansas City, here are the top 6 playmakers combined. 

Kelce

Hill

Diggs

Mathieu

Jones

Clark

Pretty easy to see we lack playmakers when comparing ourselves to the gold standard in the NFL at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Brown is good and was on pace for about 1000 yards if you prorate his season, which he missed half of.. He simply got hurt this year. He played great against Baltimore.

Did nothing most of the season,  if you watched he could not get separation and cost Allen on interception.  Will be on the wrong side of 30 with big cap number,  time to part ways or he takes a big haircut to return

• Like (+1) 1