Does anyone else get the feeling McDermott coaches scared against Reid like he is a son coaching against his Dad??

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Success said:

No more than Reid was w/ BB when KC lost to the Pats in the AFCCG 2 years ago.

Experience means something.  I think the lights were a little too bright for McD and all of the Bills yesterday. But last year, they were a little too bright in the WC game - this year, it was the AFCCG.

It's a progression (I won't say a process).  Not that it's always linear in football, and it might be hard to get back to this game - but when we do, we'll be better for the experience of it.  McD and Josh both seem to feed off of bad experiences, and use them as fuel.

^This.

It wasn't so long ago that Andy Reid was considered the worst in-game decision maker around. That reputation was built early on:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/151719-evaluating-andy-reid-the-worst-decisions-of-reids-coaching-career

That bleacher report article was from 2009, and it was "Part 1" ...

And the reputation followed him:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/nfl-chiefs-andy-reid-mistakes-packers-punt

This was McD's 4th season as a HC, first real SB contending team. Let's hope it doesn't take him a decade or two like it did with Andy.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Eh, when it's all said and done, McDermott's team did not have a professional football offense that's tried and true.  The loss of Moss was probably pretty huge too.  There's a formula.  Mahomes might have the only skill set, weapons and scheme where he can get away with throwing heavily in a huge game.  Every other club needs some semblance of a running gameto pull off the play action or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not at all.  The goal after that TD was to make it a 2 score game, that's it.  Very simple.

One method of achieving  this goal has a 94% chance of success, the other has 50%.  If either fails, it's a 3 score game and they are essentially doomed.

You would pick the method to be within 2 scores of tying/winning that has only a 50% chance of succeeding?  That makes no sense.  

Scoring 2 TDs was more likely with 4 min left than 3 min left.  The FG was useless.  If they were 16 points down, McD would not have kicked it.  

Ok, you win.

9 hours ago, Boxcar said:

They went 13-3 with a tough schedule. Not sure how much better you can be. Chiefs are apparently just capable of opening the points faucet any time they want against anybody.

It sucks but the Bills were widely considered a top 2-3 team by the end of the year. What more can you do?

You have to be good enough to put +35 points on them.

Or you pressure and put Mahomes on the ground by rushing 4. Outside of having Joey Bosa & TJ Watt on the edge and Aaron Donald teamed with one of our young DTs Oliver/Phillips I don’t know what you can do. Also having a 6’1” lock corner in his prime like Charles Woodson to cover Kelce. 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:38 PM, bobobonators said:

1. we failed to score TD’s in the red zone. 

The first TD we scored was from inside the red zone.

As far as Coach McDermott being too nervous coaching against Andy Reid goes, I disagree.  The first time they met in 2017 we won. What happened after that year?

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The first TD we scored was from inside the red zone.

As far as Coach McDermott being too nervous coaching against Andy Reid goes, I disagree.  The first time they met in 2017 we won. What happened after that year?

They got the ball at what, the one or two yard line? Sure, technically it was in the redzone but they were given a tap in.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:26 PM, Big Turk said:

Just seems really odd that McDermott looks out of sorts in these games against Reid...almost like he is a son trying to go up against his Dad and showing him way too much respect while doing it.

They backed off, played conservative and still got ripped for 38... 

On 1/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with that to some degree.

This game plan was pretty conservative though.

The coverage was soft and McDermott told the reporter at half that there would not be sweeping changes. 

3 blitzes in the first half, when you’re giving them 10 yards of cushion as it is, not sure what you’re trying to accomplish there.

I couldn’t Believe what I was watching it looked like a Preseason game McDermott should be a shame of him self one of the Most ridiculous game plans I’ve ever saw on defense if we went after him and hit him with blitz and got burned I could Live with that but not going down with out a fight just wow. Then at half time to say we’re not going to make any big changes are you serious areyou watching the game. And what happened to the offense line good god they got destroyed. And then at the end of the game you want to fight because you got your butt whipped all over the field. I’ve always heard other fans say McDermott don’t make any changes at half but it’s starting to get scary how bad it is 

• Agree 1

I don't know that Reid was in Sean's head, but he threw in a clunker against KC. First bad decision came on incorrect evaluation of Davis and Brown's availability. Then, by not having a plan to take away Kelce and Hill, he effectively ended our chance of winning. Sean is a good coach but he must take responsibility and game plan better to take away a team's best weapon like Bellicek. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I don't know that Reid was in Sean's head, but he threw in a clunker against KC. First bad decision came on incorrect evaluation of Davis and Brown's availability. Then, by not having a plan to take away Kelce and Hill, he effectively ended our chance of winning. Sean is a good coach but he must take responsibility and game plan better to take away a team's best weapon like Bellicek. 

Yep because they sure did a good job on diggs.