Does anyone else get the feeling McDermott coaches scared against Reid like he is a son coaching against his Dad??

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with that to some degree.

This game plan was pretty conservative though.

The coverage was soft and McDermott told the reporter at half that there would not be sweeping changes. 

3 blitzes in the first half, when you’re giving them 10 yards of cushion as it is, not sure what you’re trying to accomplish there.

There is not much you can do when Mahomes takes a pass runs right without any pressure and drops dimes. It was that simple.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

You don't beat Mahomes with blitzes. You beat him by keeping players in front of you, making them sustain long drives without allowing huge YAC or explosive plays.

We tried to do that but we failed.

Just asking , not being argumentative. So if that’s not working do you keep sitting w same scheme?  What do you have to lose when two receivers have over ten catches. Also Kelce with 2 tds again like week 6 , so I guess no lessons learned!?  At what point do you just change , send people and see what happens? A few times under pressure he made errant throws, but I think we had 0 sacks, so we were satisfied with him moving or just sitting back there. Strange plan again and we were beaten worse than first game. Shows you have to be balanced on offense as we became one dimensional Baltimorethis week. We were never back in gsme when it became 14-9.  I think both coordinators had poor performances.  Reid is creative and what a contrast    

Real contrast was on d tho. Josh was contained , and once again confused by blitzing.  Keeps sAying “ I can’t do that,,,,,,so& so” for three years but again takes two huge negative sacks, almost a third when he barely got pass off while OOB, and I think had another intentional grounding.  Maybe he will learn. This level looked too big for him and mahomes experience put him miles ahead.  Hopefully it’s one more learinh step.  I sure wish he would quit taking 25 yard drive, scoring drive.  Mostly I blame on Daboll tho. Knew blitzes were coming and gave josh no answers. Or perhaps he is too close to josh and avoids chewing him out a little , like hard love.  Had one pick and almost two others. Pressure does that. Why do other teams get that but Frazier / Mcd refuse to accept it. Frustrating game plan. Out schemed on both sides of the ball.  Special teams tho did well ! 😀 

i agree he coached badly, we got out coached harder than we have all season last night, but i don't think we had a shot to win that game anyhow.

as a team, we put all our eggs in one basket on either side of the ball and don't really adjust.  we throw to WRs and have josh make miracles happen, and we play a zone nickle on D and hope for mistakes and the odd dialed up blitz pressure.

coaching at the HC and OC level improved this season, regressed on D.  we need to hit on some draft picks and FA upgrades and scheme better to get over the hump next year.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

You know it’s only a 2 score game down 16 if you get 2 two point conversions. So it doesn’t really matter 

I'd rather take the chip shot and be 2 scores from a tie with not much time left than to accept a higher chance that you guarantee that you can't tie with 2 scores.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I get the feeling that Sean McDermott is not an elite head coach and the Bills have hit their ceiling with this particular guy as coach.  The game highlighted all of his flaws: inability to slow down the NFL's best offenses, weak in-game decisions, and fundamental inability to prepare the team for 60 minutes of competitive football against the best of the best.  The Bills were 13-3 because Josh Allen is an MVP-caliber player.  But Josh needs wisdom at head coach, not Sean McDermott.  Go get Belichick out of New England and take this thing to the next level. ✌

• Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

I get the feeling that Sean McDermott is not an elite head coach and the Bills have hit their ceiling with this particular guy as coach.  The game highlighted all of his flaws: inability to slow down the NFL's best offenses, weak in-game decisions, and fundamental inability to prepare the team for 60 minutes of competitive football against the best of the best.  The Bills were 13-3 because Josh Allen is an MVP-caliber player.  But Josh needs wisdom at head coach, not Sean McDermott.  Go get Belichick out of New England and take this thing to the next level. ✌

You had me until Hire Belicheat.  No.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They all offer that. 2 pt conversions are the same odds of converting regardless of timing.

So, with 4 min left against the Chiefs, you would accept a 50% chance to be down by 3 scores than a 94% chance down by 2?  That's an unnecessary risk.  It's a bad decision, based on the odds and situation.  How many more possessions did you think they would get?

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So, with 4 min left against the Chiefs, you would accept a 50% chance to be down by 3 scores than a 94% chance down by 2?  That's an unnecessary risk.  It's a bad decision, based on the odds and situation.  How many more possessions did you think they would get?

I actually thought it was fine to call it. Look: you need to convert 2 two-pt conversions no matter what, and why not try it when it still looks a little like garbage time to the Chiefs? The Bills clicked on that drive, and it seemed like the right time to do it, with the D possibly a little more lackadaisical. Regardless, the Chiefs could score at will and the Bills were not going to win that game. 

This is a pretty good take, by the way: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/25/buffalo-bills-not-aggressive-in-loss-to-kansas-city-chiefs

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I don't care to delve into the dad/mentor psychology or anything.  I think McD's fault here was insisting on coaching against KC like they're just another opponent.  KC is like the Golden State Warriors dynasty.  You stand little chance of hanging with them no matter what, but zero chance if you don't swallow your pride and admit that you need to race them to 40 points.

Yup, and this SI piece agrees with you: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/25/buffalo-bills-not-aggressive-in-loss-to-kansas-city-chiefs

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

KC had answers for everything we did and we had no answers....that's on coaching, folks

Talent too. The Chiefs are a better team.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You had me until Hire Belicheat.  No.

Walp, Belichick's got 6 rings as a head coach ... and 2 more as a coordinator ... Sean McDermott's got zero and made many questionable/poor decisions in the biggest game of the year.  Belichick's run in New England is essentially over ... why not go grab a hall of fame coach?  Brady's a hall of fame quarterback and he takes a losing team to the Super Bowl in one year ... go get the hall of fame coach, give him another Pro Bowl QB (Josh Allen), and watch the Bills get to and win Super Bowls.  Or we can keep watching McDermott kick field goals, go for 2 at the wrong times, and make other embarrassingly bad coaching mistakes, year-in and year-out.

• Disagree 1

Just now, BernieBill said:

Walp, Belichick's got 6 rings as a head coach ... and 2 more as a coordinator ... Sean McDermott's got zero and made many questionable/poor decisions in the biggest game of the year.  Belichick's run in New England is essentially over ... why not go grab a hall of fame coach?  Brady's a hall of fame quarterback and he takes a losing team to the Super Bowl in one year ... go get the hall of fame coach, give him another Pro Bowl QB (Josh Allen), and watch the Bills get to and win Super Bowls.  Or we can keep watching McDermott kick field goals, go for 2 at the wrong times, and make other embarrassingly bad coaching mistakes, year-in and year-out.

Sorry, as bad as McD was yesterday, don't give me a Cheater.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just seems really odd that McDermott looks out of sorts in these games against Reid...almost like he is a son trying to go up against his Dad and showing him way too much respect while doing it.

I think you are overanalyzing it to a degree.

It is more likely and realistic to simply suggest Reid is a superior coach.

I don't think "fear" or "daddy issues" need to figure into it.

McDermott never has been, and is probably never going to be, a brilliant in-game tactician or field marshall type who will make clever calls during the game.

Having said that, our coaching staff in general got a LOT smarter this year than ever before.  Mostly in terms of going for it on 4th down when they should have.

They regressed away from that last night, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bills just aren’t good enough yet at this point. 

They went 13-3 with a tough schedule. Not sure how much better you can be. Chiefs are apparently just capable of opening the points faucet any time they want against anybody.

It sucks but the Bills were widely considered a top 2-3 team by the end of the year. What more can you do?