Does anyone else get the feeling McDermott coaches scared against Reid like he is a son coaching against his Dad??

Big Turk

Just seems really odd that McDermott looks out of sorts in these games against Reid...almost like he is a son trying to go up against his Dad and showing him way too much respect while doing it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 4

Just now, Bangarang said:

No, I get the feeling that Reid has amazing weapons on offense and we have very few on defense.

I agree with that to some degree.

This game plan was pretty conservative though.

The coverage was soft and McDermott told the reporter at half that there would not be sweeping changes. 

3 blitzes in the first half, when you’re giving them 10 yards of cushion as it is, not sure what you’re trying to accomplish there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with that to some degree.

This game plan was pretty conservative though.

The coverage was soft and McDermott told the reporter at half that there would not be sweeping changes. 

3 blitzes in the first half, when you’re giving them 10 yards of cushion as it is, not sure what you’re trying to accomplish there.

You don't beat Mahomes with blitzes. You beat him by keeping players in front of you, making them sustain long drives without allowing huge YAC or explosive plays.

We tried to do that but we failed.

• Agree 4

I don't care to delve into the dad/mentor psychology or anything.  I think McD's fault here was insisting on coaching against KC like they're just another opponent.  KC is like the Golden State Warriors dynasty.  You stand little chance of hanging with them no matter what, but zero chance if you don't swallow your pride and admit that you need to race them to 40 points.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You don't beat Mahomes with blitzes. You beat him by keeping players in front of you, making them sustain long drives without allowing huge YAC or explosive plays.

We tried to do that but we failed.

I feel thats pretty accurate. 

The storyline today was simple for me:

1. we failed to score TD’s in the red zone. 
2. we failed to keep some of KC’s red zone drives to FG’s. 

If we score TD’s on two of those red zone drives and simply stop one of KC‘s drives by holding them to a FG well thats the game right there. 

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I don't care to delve into the dad/mentor psychology or anything.  I think McD's fault here was insisting on coaching against KC like they're just another opponent.  KC is like the Golden State Warriors dynasty.  You stand little chance of hanging with them no matter what, but zero chance if you don't swallow your pride and admit that you need to race them to 40 points.

Well said. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Strange thing for me was they went for it on 4th down around midfield on the first drive (loved it) and then made some questionable/conservative decisions that I disagreed with later in the game.

As folks on this board over-analyze why we got out played by a great team I will eagerly await the thread on how McD's clapping contributed to the loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nope. Their game plan in October was much better, but Josh played poorly among other things. It was a 6 point game in the 4th quarter. I’d have taken that tonight coupled with a better effort on Offense. McD won the first meeting with Reid back in 2017. I do think he was extremely conservative tonight and it cost them. I don’t think he’s scared of the Chiefs, but needs to admit when a game is going to be a shootout and play accordingly. 

McD did not coach to win today.  The lack of halftime adjustments really showed how bad the Bills coaching was compared to the Chefs.  Romo had plenty of fixes for the Bills that looked fairly simple to implement, but the Bills eschewed every one.  What really tore it for me was the decision to go for two down 17.  Idiotic, because the XP made it a two-score game, but missing the try there left it a three score game.  His game management mistakes now only come in the playoffs.  That's why they hurt so much more.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McD did not coach to win today.  The lack of halftime adjustments really showed how bad the Bills coaching was compared to the Chefs.  Romo had plenty of fixes for the Bills that looked fairly simple to implement, but the Bills eschewed every one.  What really tore it for me was the decision to go for two down 17.  Idiotic, because the XP made it a two-score game, but missing the try there left it a three score game.  His game management mistakes now only come in the playoffs.  That's why they hurt so much more.

You know it’s only a 2 score game down 16 if you get 2 two point conversions. So it doesn’t really matter 

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

But McDermott is and always has been a defensive guy. I don’t think it’s even remotely possible within his DNA to think that way. I think he is always going to try to think of ways to contain Mahomes or any great QB/offense instead of trying to just flat out outscore them 

43 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Giving free releases to Kelce all game long was just asinine.  How many times you just going to let the guy get a free release, turn around for 8 or 9 yards in a hole in your zones and get an easy first down?  Why not chip him with a DE?  It's not like they were getting to Mahomes anyway.  I don't care if he as flexed out, send the DE out there and hit him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No.... the Chiefs won today because they had the better team...

MCD is gunna be back but he needs a better team to beat the Chiefs...

The Bills had a good team in the early 90s.. it’s tough to dethrone the king ...

We don't have a pass rusher like Bruce. We don't have a RB like Thurman. We have no compelling TE's. And our FA DL mostly disappointed this year. We have a very good team but if you want to ever compete in a SB, you have to find the formula to beat KC.