Decision on Kelce Coverage

Old Coot

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

Just stop. The Chiefs are 25-1 the last 26 games. You think it’s because it’s a lack of logic? You just need to put people in the right position and it just happens?

why don’t you go ahead and make yourself a cool million dollars and let the NFL know how you stop the Kansas City Chiefs. Just give them your logic tree.

I don't think that's fair - McD and Frazier are not above criticism and they will be the first people to tell you that.

The Bills got killed by Kelce and Hill the entire game and Kelce in particular was wide open constantly in the second half.  They accounted for 290 of 325 yards of passing from Mahomes.  After the first half, where Kelce just killed you, it would seem to make sense to adjust to that and take him away.  Sell out and make the Chiefs beat you on the ground or with other receivers.  This is how Belichick typically game plans on defense -- make a team win in a different way -- and it usually works.

The CBS sideline reporter mentioned that McD was keeping the same game plan for the second half.  Anyone watching that game must've thought he was either (1) lying, or (2) out of his mind.  Significant changes needed to be made on defense after giving up 21 points in the second quarter, and they failed to do so.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He’s too conservative for my liking. 

Loves to keep everything in front of his defences, but yet still let’s their best players torch them

That's why Sean likes him. His conservative style of defense. Tonight was a disaster defensively. Kelce basically destroyed us in the 1st half and for all intents and purpose the game was over. No press man or double teaming Kelce. It was a terrible strategy that sealed our fate. Never been a fan of Frazier and I'm afraid we'll be stuck with him a little longer. Alot of poor coaching decisions tonight. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I don't think that's fair - McD and Frazier are not above criticism and they will be the first people to tell you that.

The Bills got killed by Kelce and Hill the entire game and Kelce in particular was wide open constantly in the second half.  They accounted for 290 of 325 yards of passing from Mahomes.  After the first half, where Kelce just killed you, it would seem to make sense to adjust to that and take him away.  Sell out and make the Chiefs beat you on the ground or with other receivers.  This is how Belichick typically game plans on defense -- make a team win in a different way -- and it usually works.

The CBS sideline reporter mentioned that McD was keeping the same game plan for the second half.  Anyone watching that game must've thought he was either (1) lying, or (2) out of his mind.  Significant changes needed to be made on defense after giving up 21 points in the second quarter, and they failed to do so.

They didn’t play as much cover 2 shell in the second half and blitzed more. As a result Hill put up just about all of his yards in the second half.

I don’t think we have the scheme to match up against a guy like Mahomes or how it used to go with Brady. Our scheme is also very vulnerable to good TE’s. We plah

almost all zone and good TE’s/QB’s exploit the vacated areas. We don’t have a pass rush from the front 4 to prevent that from happening. Our defense can look great against average to below average offenses, but it really hasn’t shown it can hold up to an elite passing offense yet. 

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

True but to be fair has anyone been able to hang with the chiefs man to man?

Mixing looks, zone / man, sure. 49ers should have won the Super Bowl last year. Almost 10 straight games this year the Chiefs couldn’t win by more than 7. Our scheme is just too one dimensional. Perhaps all schemes have major issues vs a team as talented as KC but ours is made more for beating the middle of the pack teams that will make enough mistakes to lose. KC will never be that team.

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only rationale that makes any sense to me is that Frazier/ McDermott conceded the underneath completions to prevent big plays and then when KC got into the red zone to run the types of defenses that had caused KC previously to have trouble scoring TDs in the red zone.  Remember that KC was said to have red zone scoring troubles.  

My 2 cents

Yeah and to see it wasn’t working after a one quarter and never try to line anyone across from him or bump him or chip or anything. 

Nothing. No changes the entire night on Kelce outside of one play that Hill went to the sidelines and White stayed on Kelce outside.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fan boy '92 said:

This is the defense that McD knows. He was hired as a zone defense coach and that's what he puts on the field. His style of d requires mistakes to be made by the offense/qb. This may work against most, but competition like Mahomes will beat this every time. The tight man on man that was run on us tonight with double teams, completely stifled our receivers.  It was aggresive, Mcd's zone was passive and the result is what we saw tonight.

Great comment. Bend but don't break only works if your opponent's QB misses open throws or throws picks, if they fumble, etc., etc. And KC wasn't doing any of those things. Seriously, take away that muffed punt and this was a total blowout.

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

Milano was sent on blitz so many times and we STILL got zero pressure. We blitzed 6 (Milano & Edmunds) a few times and Mahomes still had all day and picked us apart.

Why wasn’t Milano on Kelce all night?

Because they play a zone defense and Kelce easily found the holes.  I hate zone defense.

The Bills were one of the worst teams in the league versus tight ends  I had hoped that they would game plan for Kelce in particular, and figured that other players would kill us. In the end, no pocket pressure, and Kelce and Hill blew us up. I guess they stopped the run game? Even then they killed us on reverses.

What is disappointing is that they seemed reactive rather than proactive. At no stage did they force Kansas to do anything different than normal. 

Edited by Seoulofstone

I believe in the growth mindset that McDermott preaches.  We will use this game to fuel the off-season.  It will guide personnel selection, coaching, and player improvement plans.  I agree with most posters that the defensive concept was not up to the task.  We can’t change that now.  The important piece is to accept it, develop a plan, and move forward.  The Playoffs expose your weaknesses.  We were good enough to have 3 games provide us the information we need to move forward.  It sucks right now but this moment should propel us forward!  Keep the faith Bills fans.  There’s more to come!

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Just stop. The Chiefs are 25-1 the last 26 games. You think it’s because it’s a lack of logic? You just need to put people in the right position and it just happens?

why don’t you go ahead and make yourself a cool million dollars and let the NFL know how you stop the Kansas City Chiefs. Just give them your logic tree.

I played out a reasonable scenario for you.

I was asking you if that makes sense.

Cause “logically”, that makes none to me.

Teams defensively did a lot better containing KC this year with inferior personnel compared to the bills. Just saying..

Edited by BillsFan130