Decision on Kelce Coverage

Old Coot

Could someone with access to the all-22 video and some knowledge of defense principles please explain why our D gave Kelce a free release off the line on almost every play?

Is it because we did not want to spare a LB to do that?

If we are in Cover 2 (with presumably one S over the top of Hill) and our CB's covering their WR's that leaves only our 3 LBs if we rush 4 DL.  Were we so concerned about KC's running game?

Romo suggested having a DE jam Kelce at the line and then rush.  What is the down side to that?

I realize that this is Monday morning QB'ing but I am mystified at Frazier's decision not to use the obvious technique of jamming Kelce, especially after he lit use up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Could someone with access to the all-22 video and some knowledge of defense principles please explain why our D gave Kelce a free release off the line on almost every play?

If we are in Cover 2 (with presumably one S over the top of Hill) and our CB's covering their WR's that leaves only our 3 LBs if we rush 4 DL.  Were we so concerned about KC's running game?

Romo suggested having a DE jam Kelce at the line and then rush.  What is the down side to that?

I realize that this is Monday morning QB'ing but I am mystified at Frazier's decision not to use the obvious technique of jamming Kelce, especially after he lit use up.

i’m curious what you think that would have ultimately accomplished?

6 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

i watched one of Kollman’s videos this week where he said you absolutely have to jam Kelce at the line. If you give him a free release, he will kill you. 

in fact, he pointed to the Saints/chiefs game where the DE’s jammed Kelce. It worked. It basically slows him up enough to get Mahomes to look off of him a little quicker and go elsewhere with the ball. 

I was surprised that we gave Kelce a free release the entire game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm no expert on D but jamming a WR-type TE like Kelce at the line with an LB is a common technique for disrupting the TE's patterns and timing with the OB.  Kelce makes his living with intermediate over the middle catches.  This is no surprise.

It may be that Mahomes will find him anyway but it seems that we could have tried jamming when our planned coverage did not prevent him from getting multiple catches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Conservative coaching,  they played not to lose or give up the big play.  Romo even suggested bringing more pressure,  Mahomes had a clean jersey tonight and Allen took a beating.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He literally did the opposite of Bill belichick.

Let their two best players crush them. Inexcusable really 

Well said.  Belichick takes away what you do best.  We certainly did not take away Kelce.  As for Hill, he was quiet at the beginning of the game so we may have been double teaming him.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I thought Frazier was awful again tonight.

He literally did the opposite of Bill belichick.

Let their two best players crush them. Inexcusable really 

Frazier has been a bust most of season and did next to nothing, other then last week our defence has been very average all season

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Disrupted the timing? 

in the game that you just watched do you think precise timing was involved between those two?

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Frazier has been a bust most of season and did next to nothing, other then last week our defence has been very average all season

could it be because of the personnel?

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

He’s too conservative for my liking. 

Loves to keep everything in front of his defences, but yet still let’s their best players torch them

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

in the game that you just watched do you think precise timing was involved between those two?

could it be because of the personnel?

I’ll play along.

2nd and 13 for the chiefs

Bills are down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter.

Matchup: 1 on 1 milano vs Kelce on a soft man to man coverage.

10 yard gain to set up 3rd and short which they ultimately convert .

Does that make any sense at all?

Just so many instances where he he didn’t give the players a chance to win IMO.

if you are going to lose, at least go down throwing a punch

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This is the defense that McD knows. He was hired as a zone defense coach and that's what he puts on the field. His style of d requires mistakes to be made by the offense/qb. This may work against most, but competition like Mahomes will beat this every time. The tight man on man that was run on us tonight with double teams, completely stifled our receivers.  It was aggresive, Mcd's zone was passive and the result is what we saw tonight.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’ll play along.

2nd and 13 for the chiefs

Bills are down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter.

Matchup: 1 on 1 milano vs Kelce on a soft man to man coverage.

10 yard gain to set up 3rd and short which they ultimately convert .

Does that make any sense at all?

Just so many instances where he he didn’t give the players a chance to win IMO.

if you are going to lose, at least go down throwing a punch

Just stop. The Chiefs are 25-1 the last 26 games. You think it’s because it’s a lack of logic? You just need to put people in the right position and it just happens?

why don’t you go ahead and make yourself a cool million dollars and let the NFL know how you stop the Kansas City Chiefs. Just give them your logic tree.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

Just stop. The Chiefs are 25-1 the last 26 games. You think it’s because it’s a lack of logic? You just need to put people in the right position and it just happens?

why don’t you go ahead and make yourself a cool million dollars and let the NFL know how you stop the Kansas City Chiefs. Just give them your logic tree.

They are 25-1 because nobody can stop Mahomes throwing to Kelce and Hill. Are you suggesting that not even attempting to stop them was the right decision? Like reverse psychology maybe? 

They did literally nothing to address the Chiefs' biggest weapons and, shockingly, it didn't work. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they should have tried something rather than letting Kelce and Hill roll up an uncontested 300 yards.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2