Here's What I Got Wrong About the Bills in 2020

20 minutes ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

I agree with everything here.  Trade for a DE (Mack?), get Star back, and your DL looks substantially better.

Exactly how are you planning to fit Mack in with our cap situation and why do you think Chicago is going to trade him?  This is real life, not Madden.

11 minutes ago, Groin said:

So I'm not entirely sure how it will shake out.  You'd think that given a well-coached team and solid (I'm not calling them great, but solid) FO they'd do the math about Star returning and other prospects and not break the bank on D.  And frankly, I don't think that they really have to.

Also, don't forget the deficit at the RB position.  I'm beginning to rethink my stance about RBs being a dime a dozen.  It was so very woeful watching them this year, the Bills being pass first or not.

I haven't broken down the most recent games

But

Most of the times when I've watched our run game get stuffed, it's because elite Ds are able to off blocks from our OL.

Our backs have nowhere to go

If that's still true, we could draft a first round RB and they'd look like crap behind our OL

Boettger has been a pleasant surprise at pass blocking but he's not "all that" in the run game.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.

I had that 1988 feels about this myself.

I just hope we don't go "Bickering Bills" where we backslide next year

It's more likely we backslide next year then move forward.

I'm really interested to see how they handle this.

We have no cap room, no extra picks, and a lot of needs.

Teams like Miami and New England have cap space and/or picks or both.

We signed some mediocre free agents to overpriced contracts and they're going to have to get really creative

We need imo:

+OL(S)

+DL

+RB

+CB(S)

+LB

+TE

+WR 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't broken down the most recent games

But

Most of the times when I've watched our run game get stuffed, it's because elite Ds are able to off blocks from our OL.

Our backs have nowhere to go

If that's still true, we could draft a first round RB and they'd look like crap behind our OL

Boettger has been a pleasant surprise at pass blocking but he's not "all that" in the run game.

I'm mostly on board with this take, but I found that the RBs on roster in 2020 didn't have a strong first gear, and perhaps for that reason there were no consistent nor strong runs outside.

7 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

It's more likely we backslide next year then move forward.

I'm really interested to see how they handle this.

We have no cap room, no extra picks, and a lot of needs.

Teams like Miami and New England have cap space and/or picks or both.

We signed some mediocre free agents to overpriced contracts and they're going to have to get really creative

We need imo:

+OL(S)

+DL

+RB

+CB(S)

+LB

+TE

+WR 

Miami needs a QB or Tua needs to get his head straight.

NE has a ton of loot, sure, but no QB ATM, and for a player like Stafford that's gonna be $$$.

It's funny how fast that money with dry up.  The Bills aren't exactly hog tied, and much can be accomplished with trades and a better than average draft.

Edited by Groin

I do things I got wrong this year where the defense and Devin Singleterry

I don’t know what it is with Singleterry but it just seems to me that he is not running as hard as he was in his first year his balance was great in his first year and he used to bounce off of tackles or make players miss tackles just didn’t see it he was not good and we need to keep looking

then there is the defense this defense had a fall off like the year that we had the fall off and the Rex Ryan defense where we expected to be awesome and we ended up not to be in we spent so much money on the defensive side of the ball to get so little production from these guys need better

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.

I had that 1988 feels about this myself.

I just hope we don't go "Bickering Bills" where we backslide next year

I agree with you guys that this feels like '88.

The good thing is, this team already has a Super Bowl caliber culture in the locker room. They won't need a year to learn how to become a team.

The bad thing is, we don't have Bruce...and maybe a few other pieces that team had. Get 'er done Beane!

What could put this team over the top imo (if Beane can get it done in one year and if we have the cap room) is to

try and get the following in either the Draft and/or Free Agency:

Stud pass rusher

Top-tier CB opposite Tre

A monster 1-technique DT 

A mobile, but mauling RG (if Cody can't take that next step)

depth at LB

I think we could get by with our running backs. To me the lack of run game was more due to schemes, game plans, and the O-line rather than RB talent (of course neither of these guys is a Thurman Thomas---which would be nice to have, but I like them both as players---more than a lot of other posters). I mean, it's hard to get in a rhythm as a RB when you get 2-3 carries in a half, or don't touch the ball until the 2nd quarter, and when you do you're met at or near the line of scrimmage on the majority of your carries. Having said that though, I am definitely not opposed to adding to the RB room---I just don't think that it's as big a priority as other spots (especially in today's NFL). A stud would be nice, but maybe just more versatility will do the job. The run game is up to the coaches to improve, imo.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

1. I too thought Knox would have a better year

2. I thought Allen would be better but not this good

3. My fear that Edmunds would suck came to fruition

4. O-line was better than I thought.  Shame Ford went down with an injury. It's a lost year of development.  He was not good at the start of the year but neither were any of the guards.  Now there are questions again at 4 of the 5 spots.  Will they bring back Morse and his huge contract? Can they afford Williams?  Is Ford a Guard or a Tackle?  

5. I thought Diggs and Brown would each get 75 catches.  I never imagined what Diggs and Beasley would be able to do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Agree 100%. With my above post, Need another quality OLinemen big time. 

Where on the line?   This line performed very well until today when they got manhandled....

Dawkins, Boetenger , Morse,  Feliciano and Williams were a pretty good line.  the only person whom you may need to replace would be Morse due to his high salary.  But you have to sign Feliciano and Williams who will be FAs.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. I too thought Knox would have a better year

2. I thought Allen would be better but not this good

3. My fear that Edmunds would suck came to fruition

4. O-line was better than I thought.  Shame Ford went down with an injury. It's a lost year of development.  He was not good at the start of the year but neither were any of the guards.  Now there are questions again at 4 of the 5 spots.  Will they bring back Morse and his huge contract? Can they afford Williams?  Is Ford a Guard or a Tackle?  

5. I thought Diggs and Brown would each get 75 catches.  I never imagined what Diggs and Beasley would be able to do.

All correct.

Beane and McD get a lot of credit for patching together a budget (except Morse) O line that did really well this year, particularly in pass protection.

Edmunds: still not sure he's the guy you want in the middle. There's a lot of wasted athleticism with him playing there. Someday some coach will free him up playing on the outside and he'll be a force. But that's unlikely to be McDermott and the Bills.

Knox: I'm fine with him, but if we're waiting for him to emerge as a big weapon we're making a mistake. What really hurt this team is the inability of Kroft to stay healthy and become a significant part of the offense. Knox on offense and Addison/Murphy on defense sucked up a ton of salary with very little in terms of contribution. I won't rip Beane for those signings because other moves (Diggs) were obviously so good that they offset the bad moves, but these ones still hurt.

Back to the drawing board again on the TE position I'm afraid.

• Like (+1) 1

I just don't understand how our o line just got abused tonight. Literally pressure every snap from just there d line. We got man handled. I know spags has had some good defensives before but man it was brutal to watch. Every year we see the same things play out, the aggressive teams always win. Passive teams always lose. We were the passive team tonight and it showed in our players efforts.

I agree with all your points but question the need to not hold Frazier accountable. This was a game coming in where the previous game kelce had dropped two tds on us. To let him come off the line untouched, catch 10 balls in the first half, NEVER FORCE MORE THAN A SINGLE PUNT OR STOP MORE THAN ONE DRIVE WITHOUT GIVING SOME POINTS, is being terribly out coached.  Look at KCS  D, they were very aggressive against the #1 qb supposedly against the blitz. Pressure killed josh once more( at least two huge yardage loss sacks, an int, an intentional grounding, two other balls that barely missed being picked ) and I wish Frazier / Mcd would coach that way.

I know PM is good,  but getting 0 sacks, almost no pressure , no deflected passes etc, was a path to a second essential blow out. This reminded me of Mcd being owned by Belichick until this year. Reid owned / owns him now. Our o improved , Allen improved dramatically while our d looked quite bad in all our losses. Frazier had no answer for kc or the titans , barely got by the colts only because Frank left 10 points on the field, and we got by the pats with a fumble .  I also believe edmunds is being misused. Please move him outside, where he could be another bisquit! Get a real MLB like white from Tampa!   I wish we would get a more Aggressive D coordinator to influence McD. I hope Frazier gets the Texas job as I don’t see Mcd ever having the strength to make a change unless forced on him by  an o UPWARD move for a coordinator. This is one time his culture may hold him back. Sometimes you need to move on. With you on everything else but this game was my last straw of support for quiet, passive Frazier. Nice, great ,man.  Avg at best DC.  I don’t think it was a huge talent gap, just that our talent now is being misused. 

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing that played out is the Bills are the 2nd best team in the AFC, despite their horrid running game and some other deficiencies.  
Coming into the season Bills were thought to be one of the top 8 out of 20 teams but moved to 2nd.  

Getting into the playoffs and then winning 2 playoff games is certainly a big step up from last few years.  

1) The lost in the AFC Championship game in a loud stadium in KC against the world champs.

End thread

Seriusoly

1) Actually our lines on both sides of the ball were periodically abused.

2) We had no run game largely owing to #1 above.

The screwy calendar with Covid non-sames didnt help us either.

12 hours ago, Wyobills89 said:

I just don't understand how our o line just got abused tonight. Literally pressure every snap from just there d line. We got man handled. I know spags has had some good defensives before but man it was brutal to watch. Every year we see the same things play out, the aggressive teams always win. Passive teams always lose. We were the passive team tonight and it showed in our players efforts.

It happened to us before, recall the Rams game, second half we couldn't stop A Donald, we were lucky to come out with a win.