Played scared on defense

12 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

It wasn't just the D, either.

McD coached like a coward in his biggest game against his mentor that coaches to win.

Andy Reid coached that exact same way in big games throughout his whole career until he finally woke up last year. I don’t think it will take McD that long, he’s come a long way this year.

• Vomit 2

My biggest concern with this team and it's progression toward the final steps is McD. On offense we seem to be very flexible week to week in our approach. We aren't married to a system. On defense, we do seem married to a system. Against very high end QB's, it is not the optimal system to be in. With McD we will never have the players to play high end man coverage and that seems to be how you beat the best. Along with a great pass rush from your front four. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

My biggest concern with this team and it's progression toward the final steps is McD. On offense we seem to be very flexible week to week in our approach. We aren't married to a system. On defense, we do seem married to a system. Against very high end QB's, it is not the optimal system to be in. With McD we will never have the players to play high end man coverage and that seems to be how you beat the best, along with a great pass rush from your front four. 

This.

We can't run man because the roster isn't built to man press. And against KC you need to do what they did to us. Man press with one safety help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It was just a bad game. 
KC obviously had a game plan to play more physical than us. 
They punched us in the mouth in the second quarter and we never got up. 
That fight in the end should of happened in the 2nd quarter after the Jones punch, or the Diggs slam. They owned us. 
Defensive scheme or not nobody on the D line won a block the whole game. It was just ugly all the way around. Frazier and Daboll looked outmatched and the players followed suit. On to the offseason. I’m still happy with our season. 
The first 6-7 weeks we had NO DEFENSE so at least they improved despite failing in this game .

I would not say it was just a "bad game."

They are quite a bit better than us on both sides of the ball.

If we played them next Sunday, and each Sunday after that for a total of 5 games, they would probably win all 5 one way or the other.  They're better than us.

It will be interesting to see how Beane takes a scalpel to this roster and tweaks here and there.

We should be a better team next year.

• Like (+1) 1

End of the day the only chance we had at beating KC was taking chances on defence and creating turnovers.  You double Hill and you chip Kelce hard at the line,  send 5 guys and force Mahomes into making quick decisions.  We played looking to avoid big plays and gave Mahomes time to find 2nd and 3rd options

Meanwhile KC was going hard after Allen on almost every play

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

McD coached like a coward in his biggest game against his mentor that coaches to win.

He learned from Reid when He flat out sucked in the playoffs for many years. 

Reid evolved, I hope McD does as well. 

42 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I thought McDermott had grown as a coach to the point that we wouldn’t see FGs in those situations.  I was wrong.  He regressed. Totally inexcusable but it didn’t cost us the game.  The Chiefs could have named the score.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

What was our defensive identity this year? Waiting for the All-22, but if you could isolate one play on defense where we didn’t play scared aside from the one good hit Hyde put on a RB. Whether it was refusing to attempt to bump Kelce at the line, or letting all 5’ nothing 170lbs of Hill intimidate our entire staff, we clearly didn’t think our defense had a single strength to play to.

The first two drives weren’t terrible. We held them to 3 and out(Hill did have a bad drop). Second drive we were punishing their receivers then after that it was like we put in Niagara-Wheatfield middle schools defense and we figured there was a better chance of Kelce dropping a wide open pass than us trying to cover him. 

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

When they brought pressure they got burned. When they dropped into coverage they got burned. What would have them do?

They got beat by a really good team.

KC's defense played really really well. They were confusing us at the LOS and blanketing our WR's.

They shut down Diggs in the first half almost entirely.

Gameplan was a spitting image of week 6 only KC attacked it a different way....Terrible coaching. You don’t go up against the best team in the league and bring the same gameplan as you did earlier in the season. Doesn’t matter if the score was close, they were gonna be ready for it.  

We said we weren’t the same team as the first time we played, why the same game plan then? 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1