Played scared on defense

What was our defensive identity this year? Waiting for the All-22, but if you could isolate one play on defense where we didn’t play scared aside from the one good hit Hyde put on a RB. Whether it was refusing to attempt to bump Kelce at the line, or letting all 5’ nothing 170lbs of Hill intimidate our entire staff, we clearly didn’t think our defense had a single strength to play to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, benderbender said:

What was our defensive identity this year? Waiting for the All-22, but if you could isolate one play on defense where we didn’t play scared aside from the one good hit Hyde put on a RB. Whether it was refusing to attempt to bump Kelce at the line, or letting all 5’ nothing 170lbs of Hill intimidate our entire staff, we clearly didn’t think our defense had a single strength to play to.

So weak it was embarrassing, safeties 20 yards deep and backpedaling at the snap. They played defense all game like they were ahead by 3 touchdowns in the 4th qtr

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Soft was the word I came up with. Watching the Bucs defense and the Chiefs D line crush us lets us know how soft we are on the front 7.

Very, very soft.

I do trust McBeane though to address and correct this in the off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

It was just a bad game. 
KC obviously had a game plan to play more physical than us. 
They punched us in the mouth in the second quarter and we never got up. 
That fight in the end should of happened in the 2nd quarter after the Jones punch, or the Diggs slam. They owned us. 
Defensive scheme or not nobody on the D line won a block the whole game. It was just ugly all the way around. Frazier and Daboll looked outmatched and the players followed suit. On to the offseason. I’m still happy with our season. 
The first 6-7 weeks we had NO DEFENSE so at least they improved despite failing in this game .

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Our defense was bad all year, got a little better 2nd half, but still nothing like past two seasons and overall most of core players were same other than Star.  No pass rush all year it seemed, but stat wise, sacks looked good so hard to understand?

• Like (+1) 1

My issue is thrm not making some plays forcing more 3rd and longs.

Then there was YAC stats where ifyou play prevent you need to pursue and defend on YAC and force more 3rd and ling that then get drive stops and force more punts.

buffalo isbt designed around a front four big sack team.  

i believe if you can get pressure forcing quick plays then it’s to your advantage to play man coverage.

Edited by djp14150

The interior D had to do better. The most expensive in the league? Didn't look like it  I didn't hear Butler, Jefferson, or Oliver's name once.

The defense, didn't seem to have a plan for Kelce at all. 

Edited by Seoulofstone
Clarifying for the bone-headed

13 minutes ago, benderbender said:

we were good at all levels, dominant at none. Needed another impact player in the front 7.

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

The interior D had to do better. The most expensive in the league? Didn't look like it  I didn't hear Butler, Jefferson, or Oliver's name once.

They didn't seem to have a plan for Kelce at all. 

KC didn’t run much up the middle. DT don’t cover the TE.

Every team that gets to the Super Bowl has 1 or 2 D linemen that can consistently get to the QB.

All due respect to Hughes, we don't have that.  

It's amazing we accomplished what we did this year.  In a lot of ways you can say we over achieved as a team a bit.  

Allen and Rodgers should be co-MVPs

12 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

So weak it was embarrassing, safeties 20 yards deep and backpedaling at the snap. They played defense all game like they were ahead by 3 touchdowns in the 4th qtr

And still give up a 50 yard run by Hardiman and a 70 yard catch by Hill on a 5 yard crossing pattern.

• Like (+1) 3