Defensive assessment

Hebert19

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Imagine using a hammer for every job you needed to accomplish, that’s what McDermott does with his system. Trying to hammer a screw won’t beat KC. 

We had zero halftime adjustments this game...totally outcoached and outclassed smh

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Billever76 said:

We had zero halftime adjustments this game...totally outcoached and outclassed smh

It’s because it’s McDermott. People here have been so abused for years with ***** teams they will settle for 3rd loser status. McDermott constantly pounds his screws  with a hammer because he is married to zone schemes at all times. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

If they’re going to continue running this defense, they absolutely have to find an instinctual MLB to man the middle of the field. Put Edmunds at a position where he can attack and think less, similar to how they started using Klein. A good to great MLB could’ve easily baited Mahomes with some of those throws tonight and jumped those passes for INTs. Sadly Edmunds just has no awareness at all.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I will probably post this 100 times in the next 3 months. 
But similar to the Diggs deal we need to be floating that 1st rounder to cap strapped teams for an elite level pass rusher. 
Mack

Cox

TJ Watt (highly unlikely) 

Donald 

Maybe nobody bites but I would 100% support floating that 1st rounder out there to some of these teams and see if they’d send an eliteish level rusher to us. 

We don’t have any money to pay for a elite pass rusher

Front 4 is soft.  Oliver is 8 games away from being declared a bust.  Edmunds is clueless and if he wasn't a first round pick he would have been benched mid-season.  

They need to purge most of the free agents they signed last year and shed some salary.  They should draft DT and Edge next year and add one free agent DT.  That will give them Hughes in his final NFL year, Harrison, Oliver, Star, Epenesa, Zimmer, Butler, a vet, and 2 rookies.  

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I will probably post this 100 times in the next 3 months. 
But similar to the Diggs deal we need to be floating that 1st rounder to cap strapped teams for an elite level pass rusher. 
Mack

Cox

TJ Watt (highly unlikely) 

Donald 

Maybe nobody bites but I would 100% support floating that 1st rounder out there to some of these teams and see if they’d send an eliteish level rusher to us. 

Maybe.  But they probably take that first rounder and trade down for a couple seconds.  They need several bodies on the DL and OL in the draft.  

Defense needs to be rebuilt, from coaching on down.   

They were a middle of the pack defense, with heavy cap hits and a bunch of high draft picks.  

We played 3 playoff games.  One elite performance, a performance where they almost sabotaged us and a performance where their only legit stop ALL GAME was a dropped deep pass.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It's the front 4.  The back end and LBs are plenty good enough.  

The front 4 can't get any pressure.  

I agree, but also need to keep in mind that our safeties are hitting their 30's, players usually don't get better as they get older.  Except for 1 QB

• Like (+1) 1

I won't address KC game issues. 

Season and future decisions: we/Bills need to consider the full impact of SL's absence on D.

Imv, the board--self included--underestimated his loss ("we get gashed every game", etc). I was never a big fan of his contract, but perhaps McBeane know their stuff.

Logically speaking, what was the primary change in 20D vs 19D? No inside block eater.

[Not saying we don't need some scheme adjustments or better edge, etc]