Defensive assessment

Hebert19

24 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I'm the last for doon and gloom but this D is not good.  We need upgrades everywhere. 

1.   Dline - D.  Hughes has his moments.  Ed needs a true NT next to him.  Off season signings need to all be gone. 

2.   Cb - C.  decent core...but not great.  

3.   Lbs - C. need some depth here or switch to a 3-4 where Edmunds would be better.  

4.   Safties C+ - said this early in the year but they are average.  Hyde has lost a step and poyer is overblown by our fans.  When neal comes in we make more plays. 

5.   Coaching - C. best thing that could happen is Frazier gets hired by Texas so we can get 2 3rds.  :)

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

The D didn't measure up against KC. 

Right now, we are good enough to shut down one dimensional teams but the balanced colts were almost too much for us, and KC was too much for us.

I'm not sure what the missing pieces are here, but I'm pretty sure you don't either

I'm pretty sure McDermott and Beane will figure it out.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You can make a case for offense or defense this offense. Specifically the draft. But I think we find speed at rb and try to reload on defense. Our front four was average at best and Hughes is longish in the tooth. Need a jump from epenesa next year and Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

I will probably post this 100 times in the next 3 months. 
But similar to the Diggs deal we need to be floating that 1st rounder to cap strapped teams for an elite level pass rusher. 
Mack

Cox

TJ Watt (highly unlikely) 

Donald 

Maybe nobody bites but I would 100% support floating that 1st rounder out there to some of these teams and see if they’d send an eliteish level rusher to us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree the Front is priority #1 but there's big issues behind them too.

Edmunds is not the answer in the middle, Milano is probably gone, Klein is a 1 down backer; that unit needs rebuilt from the inside out.

White is the only good corner on the roster; the #2 is overmatched every game and we don't have a slot corner worth the title. That unit also needs rebuilt.

You'd be surprised with what 3 new (quality) front 4 guys could do.  I honestly think Ed Oliver is on the cusp of breaking out, but the surrounding cast is average at best.

Hard not to like Jerry, but he is getting over the hill.

Rest of the dline could honestly get replaced.  Epenesa has talent, I think win another nfl.off season he will be a solid starter.  But we desperately need to generate a 4 man pass rush.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I will probably post this 100 times in the next 3 months. 
But similar to the Diggs deal we need to be floating that 1st rounder to cap strapped teams for an elite level pass rusher. 
Mack

Cox

TJ Watt (highly unlikely) 

Donald 

Maybe nobody bites but I would 100% support floating that 1st rounder out there to some of these teams and see if they’d send an eliteish level rusher to us. 

Mahomes had a very clean pocket all game and easy vision... that’s recipe for a big game. We have one of the leagues biggest payroll expense for dline yet it is our weakness. Pass rush is a major flaw of this team right now and blitzing is our cover-up for it. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I'm the last for doon and gloom but this D is not good.  We need upgrades everywhere. 

1.   Dline - D.  Hughes has his moments.  Ed needs a true NT next to him.  Off season signings need to all be gone. 

3.   Lbs - C. need some depth here or switch to a 3-4 where Edmunds would be better.  

4.   Safties C+ - said this early in the year but they are average.  Hyde has lost a step and poyer is overblown by our fans.  When neal comes in we make more plays. 

5.   Coaching - C. best thing that could happen is Frazier gets hired by Texas so we can get 2 3rds.  :)

If we had had a passing game tonight and Allen has one of his better games of the season, you wouldn't be thinking about our bad defense at all.

You'd be leading the cheers as we prepare for Tampa in the SB.

Just now, Locomark said:

Mahomes had a very clean pocket all game and easy vision... that’s recipe for a big game. We have one of the leagues biggest payroll expense for dline yet it is our weakness. Pass rush is a major flaw of this team right now and blitzing is our cover-up for it. 

Yeah all our pressure has basically been schemed up. They knew they couldn’t do that to KC. 
In all seriousness that was probably one of the easiest big games Mahomes has ever had. We barely even got within arms length of him. 

There was a small chance that we could have won the SB with that defense. But to do that all the stars would have had to align and we would have had to get some incredible luck on both sides of the ball. As I watched this game I got a sickening feeling of deja vu back to the Bills of the late 80s and how the Offense was always so good but if neutralized would expose our sometimes iffy defense. And those teams had some serious talent on D. Of the few name players we have on this defense, they just didnt show up in this game and some others this year. We were lucky to beat Indy. It just seems incredibly to me that with such a mediocre defense that the coaches didnt come up with something special for the Chiefs. It was like they were just hoping that Mahomes didn't play!

Just now, Locomark said:

Plus weak tampa 2  or cover 2 whatever vs a good QB. Pass rushers work in that d. Bill's had none and how they lost. Coaching played a big part.  Realize there weakness. Better off trying swinging out the gates. rather a slow painful death.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You'd be surprised with what 3 new (quality) front 4 guys could do.  I honestly think Ed Oliver is on the cusp of breaking out, but the surrounding cast is average at best.

Hard not to like Jerry, but he is getting over the hill.

Rest of the dline could honestly get replaced.  Epenesa has talent, I think win another nfl.off season he will be a solid starter.  But we desperately need to generate a 4 man pass rush.  

Ya know, for a “Master Strategist” you’d think that a superb coach like Leslie Frazier could get more out of an overpaid DL such as ours. Butler, Addison, Jefferson, Hughes, Epenesa, Oliver and Murphy etc.. At what point is it about the coaching scheme/philosophy and not the players?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I want a 3-4 honestly 

Seems like a better scheme to create pressure 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m extremely confident that if you replaced Addison, whoever starts next to Oliver at DT, and Edmunds with street free agents that the defense wouldn’t have been any worse.  Zimmer played as good as butler and Jefferson.  Johnson wasn’t any worse than Addison.  Edmunds is a robotic liability but since he’s still on his rookie deal, I’d keep him another year.  The secondary would look a lot better with a pass rush.  I thought Poyer was outstanding this year.  

57 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I doubt Frazier gets hired but i agree Beane needs to work on the talent level on defensive side of the football.  Did any of Beane's free agent signings make any plays in these playoffs?  I prefer he targets quality

Beane has to do better spending money on defensive side of the ball,  his signings have produced very little