FGs versus TDs against the Chiefs

Wayne Cubed

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I was surprised on a few key “and 3” plays we didn’t power run with Josh honestly. 2nd and 3 in the red zone? At least 1 of the next 3 plays should’ve been him taking a shot (unless that off shoulder was actually hurt last week)

I agree. I feel we should have run it twice from the 4 at the end of the half and ran it on the 2 point. The mugging on the receivers allowed the blitz to get there consistently. The only way to get them to stop blitzing is getting some chunk plays in the run.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really much to say. It’s Patrick Mahomes and the Bills defense demonstrated on two prior drives that they could move the ball at will against their defense. FGs weren’t going to cut it. Needed to keep pace with TDS. McD turtled. The game plan was weak as *****. 

True. After the Chiefs scored to make it 21-9, watching how the Bills D had no chance of stopping them, I said the Chiefs are gonna score 40 tonight. So the point wasn't to make it a one score game before halftime or something tactical like that. It was "how are we gonna put at least 35-40 points on the board." That's why kicking the field goal was a bad call at the time, and an even worse call the second time around. Would we have scored TDs both times? Probably not. But in at the time (and for sure in retrospect) it was the only way we were going to win this game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Couldn't agree more. The Bills offense from weeks 14 - 17 is not the offense we saw in the playoffs. Also, I love Josh, but I think he needs to work on staying calm and playing within himself. He seems to get too hyped in big games. Hopefully he got this out of his system, and next time he can play like he's been there before. I believe in him.

He said that he changed his pre-game listening music from hard rock to Frank Sinatra.

Perhaps next year he needs to downgrade to Vivaldi and Mozart.

• Haha (+1) 1

I would have loved to go for it but, let’s be honest with ourselves. The Bills offense was not good in the red zone yesterday....at all. The chance that they made both of those 4th downs is minimal at best. They didn’t make a 2 point conversion and also had a bunch of chances on both of those drives to put it in the endzone but couldn’t.

I think going for the FG twice had next to no impact on how the game would have transpired.

• Like (+1) 1

McClappy was playing checkers.....Reid was playing chess.

FG's weren't going to cut it against the reigning SB champs.

We needed to be aggressive....we weren't and we lost the biggest game of the year.

It happens....live and learn.

25 minutes ago, Beast said:

I would have loved to go for it but, let’s be honest with ourselves. The Bills offense was not good in the red zone yesterday....at all. The chance that they made both of those 4th downs is minimal at best. They didn’t make a 2 point conversion and also had a bunch of chances on both of those drives to put it in the endzone but couldn’t.

I think going for the FG twice had next to no impact on how the game would have transpired.

The only chance we would of had to win the game was go for the 4th downs. It all depends whether you convert the 4th downs but with a player like Allen who is capable of great and bad you don't know for sure they would not have converted one and got a shot in the arm as a result. One of the plays ( before the 4th down FG before the half) Allen makes a great throw to knox - before that play I thought 'I can't see the bills converting here' and they did.

The same logic can apply to the defence - let's be honest with ourselves that the chance they stop KC on offence was minimal at best, so take the opportunity into your own hands. 

Ask yourself what would Reid have done with the bills personnel? What had we done all season? We had continually gone for 4th downs. As soon as we play a better team and are behind, do we change what we do? 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

Love this team and staff...

But this was the worst day of coaching that McDermott has had since being hired. Just a really terrible plan and settling for fg's against that KC squad is just so pansy.

The first fg- ok get some points.... Still a bad decision but why compound the problem doing it 47 more times? Just objectively stupid. 

8 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

We were trying to be balanced on offense and keep the ball. Sadly we get beat up in the red zone and didn't get TDs when we needed. Plus missed plays like Singletary's drop killed momentum etc. Toss in the defense gave up big plays that flipped the field. 

Sorry, but I think you are ignoring something important. 

"We were trying to be balanced on offence"

We are NOT and can NOT be balanced on offence without better running backs.  We were playing a very good team with not major weaknesses on defence.  We got into the red zone and suddenly we are trying to move the ball WITHOUT [1]  stop&go and fly routes to spread the pass defense (there is a back line on the endzone),  and [2] A fast player to hit holes quickly and force the defence to defined both edges of the field.

Take them out of the tool kit and your options and success go way down.  That is what happened.

What I took was the Chiefs figured out the Bills game plan so well McDermott was afraid to leave points on the field. He didn't trust anything the Bills could have done on 4th down. Mahomes and company scoring was not a surprise. KC's defense essentially erasing the Bills offense was.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

54 minutes ago, london_bills said:

The only chance we would of had to win the game was go for the 4th downs. It all depends whether you convert the 4th downs but with a player like Allen who is capable of great and bad you don't know for sure they would not have converted one and got a shot in the arm as a result. One of the plays ( before the 4th down FG before the half) Allen makes a great throw to knox - before that play I thought 'I can't see the bills converting here' and they did.

The same logic can apply to the defence - let's be honest with ourselves that the chance they stop KC on offence was minimal at best, so take the opportunity into your own hands. 

Ask yourself what would Reid have done with the bills personnel? What had we done all season? We had continually gone for 4th downs. As soon as we play a better team and are behind, do we change what we do? 

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just speaking of the likely outcome.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Agree. KC took away everything the Bills did well. Utter domination on both sides. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What I took was the Chiefs figured out the Bills game plan so well McDermott was afraid to leave points on the field. He didn't trust anything the Bills could have done on 4th down. Mahomes and company scoring was not a surprise. KC's defense essentially erasing the Bills offense was.

I'm not sure it's that. He was perfectly ok with going for it on 4th down at midfield, so he trusted the offense in those situations. They new they had to keep the KC offense on the sidelines. And it wasn't necessarily not going for it it was also the play calling in the redzone. It just screamed of settling for FGs.

FGs were definitely the wrong choice, losing by 3 points or zero points is still losing. We needed to try for TDs  then when we got the onside kick we could have tied the game.

However i have faith in McDermott and how he reviews himself daily is why he has changed so much since he got here and why he will continue to improve.