1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

No way. It was totally gutless and I knew we were doomed at that point 

If you don't convert and go into the half 21-9 after being killed in the second quarter you are done FOR SURE.

A field goal takes a little energy out of the crowd and gives some moral strength to the team.  Did it matter in the end?  No - but to me it was the responsible call.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Totally agree...It's frustrating because if you only watched this game tonight you would think the Bills went 15-3 with smoke and mirrors this year...And that is not the case...

What I really cannot understand is the stubbornness they showed to play an injured Gabe Davis and not utilize McKenzie more. Especially in the Red Zone. They seemed to realize that later in the game, but by that time it was too late. I really don't get it because it seems like this would have been the perfect time to game plan some special stuff for him...Especially on 3rd down and in the Red Zone, because they had barely used him in the first two playoff games.

This was really tough to watch because they needed a great game plan. And they got none. 😎

I was hoping they would get creative with him like Hill for KC. He has similar speed. He's not the cheetah but I felt he coulda been an xfactor

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

While I don't disagree with you, if I had also told you a year ago that Allen would be an MVP candidate this year and our WR1 would be the #1 WR in the NFL at the end of the regular season you likely would've laughed at me. But yet...

The task is definitely huge but I think we have the staff to do it. 

Oh yeah, huge strides this year, but we have a long way to go and KC not going to stop getting better.  I think we lack elite speed on offense and that showed in the playoffs.  There needs to be an emphasis on adding skill players who have top end speed. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

WGR ripping Mcd about the field goals...  I thought they were all the right moves.  You go into the half down 9 and put it on your defense to make a stop.  Better than a demoralized team that just got blown out in the second quarter 21-0.

The 2nd field goal attempt I was not a fan of. The first one I was fine with, getting points at the end of a tough half was important. My bigger problem with the end of half drive was the 3rd down call. Surely you already know in that situation that if you don't get a TD you're going to kick a FG. So why are you throwing a little 2 yard pass to Knox with 5 yards to go? What is the point of that if you're not in a 4 down situation? Might as well kick it on 3rd down if that's your play call.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The FGs were disappointing for sure but I think the one at the end of the half was needed just based on how poorly the clock management was and how confused we were with their defense.  We could not go into the half with nothing else on the board and we had the half to regroup.  That  3rd and goal pass to Knox at the 2 yard line was a terrible call and screamed “we can’t figure this out”.    Why not have Allen roll out with the option to run?  

The FG in the second quarter really surprised me.  That was the call that baffled me. 

Add in the lost 8 point plus the missed PAT and we get 33 points on the road.  Still needed better defense to win and we didn’t have it.  The defense was abysmal.  No answer for Kelce, poor play against the run, and little pressure on Mahommes.  

The play against the run was pretty good except the 50 yard run by Hardiman. We didn't lose because they ran the ball on us unlike the first game. They were getting 2 or 3 yards on most runs.

3 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Allen putting all the blame on himself in his presser, when he clearly had little help. He is a great kid I'm looking forward to watching him for the rest of his career.

Allen did not play well enough.

Still needs to throw it away sooner, and better yet be quicker taking the check down when teams play cover-2 shell, or the hot dump off on the blitz. Tried to do too much...it is his biggest asset and weakness still.

The O-Line played like slightly warm dung with the exception of a few plays where Allen had a lot of time with no open receivers, but Dabs and Allen need to get rid of the ball faster if their o-line is struggling. That did not happen for much of the game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Proud of this team and proud of this season. 

1. We were so ill prepared for this KC team, it’s almost baffling.

2. Really hoping this isn’t our version of the Rams or Eagles. 

3. I am at a point where the hype machine for KC is turned up so high, that I’m split on who I want to see win, KC or TB. I don’t know another year of Mahomes being the prodigal son. 

I’ll be rooting for Brady.

He’s already won 6, been to 9, now 10, and it’d be nice to see the Mahomes train get derailed by the GOAT. 

That’s my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Disagree.  You don't beat the chiefs with soft zone and field goals.

You beat them by converting red zone opportunities which we did not.  We left I believe 13 points not including the interception right outside the red zone.  But going for it on 4th and 3 isn't the winner.  It's converting on 3rd and getting the ball in the endzone

There's a lot to be said about this game.  So many frustrating aspects.  But to me, it starts with coaching.

1.  The moment they declared Gabe Davis ACTIVE, he better be 100% ready to go.  All season this offense was at it's best with 4 WRs on the field beating man coverage all over.  Tonight, he barely played and, all of a sudden, it's trying to get the TE and RB involved with the offense.  And that was one of my biggest complaints about this game.  It wasn't about losing.  It was about changing what was successful for us all year and losing with an offensive game plan that was nothing like what it was all season.  Not only was Davis hurt, but Brown was never the same since his injury early on in the year.  It looks like he lost at least a step, if not more.  But, that's the thing......we had healthy, proven guys, on this roster that could have played and added speed to a WR corps that looks like it desperately needed it. 

2.  What in the world were they trying to do on defense?  Going into this game they had 2 guys to take away, Kelce and Hill.  Yes, I know they are great, but for them to be WIDE OPEN all night was embarrassing.  I have no idea what they were trying to do with Kelce, but why one of our awesome safeties and Milano weren't doubling him every play I will never understand.  I can live with getting beat, but I am not letting Kelce catch a gazillion balls to do it.  And, of course, our lack of pass rush was exposed again tonight.  Haven't been able to get after the QB with our front 4 all season and tonight was no different.  Anyway, the inability to even slow Kelce and Hill down a little bit with the secondary and LBs we have is not good at all.  Another defensive coaching shortcoming.

3.  The lack of guts McDermott showed in this game was puzzling.  He went for it on the first drive at midfield and I thought we were in great shape with an aggressive game plan.  Then, for whatever reason, McDermott goes into a shell and wimps out for the rest of the game.  Every one of us knew going into this game that it would probably take 30+ points to win this game and that it was going to take an aggressive approach on 4th downs to get there.  Well, everyone realized that except for McDermott.  He did the right thing virtually all season long and, all of a sudden, coached scarred when it mattered most.  Really confusing and frustrating.

4.  I know you want to have some sort of a running game.  But it has been obvious all year that Singletary is not it.  The lack of speed and explosion from that position is a glaring need this off season.  But again, like it has been most of the year, a wasted down when our RBs take a hand off.  That drop by Singletary was a game changer.  He had so much room ahead of him.  It was actually the perfect call at the right time.  They had everything they wanted on that play and the lack of talent and explosion at the RB position was on full display there.  Now, I know that we all got on Daboll's case for calling too many runs for Allen against the Colts, and rightfully so.  But tonight, Allen was BY FAR our best ball carrier and feasted every time he ran.  There were openings all night for Allen to take off and he actually should have carried the ball more.

There are obviously a lot more talking points about this game.  While Allen was not great by any means, I actually don't think he was as bad as it may have seemed at times.  We'll have to wait for the All-22 film, but from what I saw, he wasn't getting much help from his WRs.  Seemed like they were all covered tightly, if not illegally at times, most of the night.  They bracketed Diggs the entire game (take note Bills defensive staff) and as I mentioned above, Brown, if this is what he is now, is no longer a good enough number 2.  His speed is what made him special.  If he's lost a step like it looks like he has, we need to get better there.  And, I covered Davis earlier.  No excuse to activate him tonight.  He couldn't run.

All that said, though, a great season. A fun season. A very disappointing and frustrating ending. There's a lot to build on here, though. Going to be a long off season, and there is a lot of work to do. But for the first time in a long time, not that I didn't think we had a chance going into tonight, I think we're going to begin the season as a legit Super Bowl contender next year  And I am calling it now......as good as Allen was this season and for all the improvement he made, he will be BETTER, maybe even by a lot, next season.  His mental game improved tremendously this season and you just know he will look at all of these Playoff games....EVERY PLAY and learn about these defensive overages even more and will be better next year.  No doubt in my mind. 

Now, it's onto the off season.  Reload and come back ready to roll.  GO BILLS.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The FGs were disappointing for sure but I think the one at the end of the half was needed just based on how poorly the clock management was and how confused we were with their defense.  We could not go into the half with nothing else on the board and we had the half to regroup.  That  3rd and goal pass to Knox at the 2 yard line was a terrible call and screamed “we can’t figure this out”.    Why not have Allen roll out with the option to run?  

The FG in the second quarter really surprised me.  That was the call that baffled me. 

Add in the lost 8 point plus the missed PAT and we get 33 points on the road.  Still needed better defense to win and we didn’t have it.  The defense was abysmal.  No answer for Kelce, poor play against the run, and little pressure on Mahommes.  

The red zone offense was terrible, especially inside the 10.  Those straight drop back passes were doomed every time.  Inexplicable.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

While I don't disagree with you, if I had also told you a year ago that Allen would be an MVP candidate this year and our WR1 would be the #1 WR in the NFL at the end of the regular season you likely would've laughed at me. But yet...

The task is definitely huge but I think we have the staff to do it. 

Excellent point. Remember where we all thought this team was after the loss to Houston.  

Just now, WideNine said:

Allen did not play well enough.

Still needs to throw it away sooner, and better yet be quicker taking the check down when teams play cover-2 shell, or the hot dump off on the blitz. Tried to do too much...it is his biggest asset and weakness still.

The O-Line played like slightly warm dung with the exception of a few plays where Allen had a lot of time with no open receivers, but Dabs and Allen need to get rid of the ball faster if their o-line is struggling. That did not happen for much of the game.

Hard to get rid of the ball fast when no one open and there didnt seem to be many check downs available either on alot of plays.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The 2nd field goal attempt I was not a fan of. The first one I was fine with, getting points at the end of a tough half was important. My bigger problem with the end of half drive was the 3rd down call. Surely you already know in that situation that if you don't get a TD you're going to kick a FG. So why are you throwing a little 2 yard pass to Knox with 5 yards to go? What is the point of that if you're not in a 4 down situation? Might as well kick it on 3rd down if that's your play call.

I can see the argument against the second field goal on 4th and short.  But I am more frustrated at Daboll for his play call to force the short pass

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Still needs to throw it away sooner, and better yet be quicker taking the check down

Serious question - did Mahomes throw the ball away once tonight? Their offense made it look so easy I don't think he ever had to make that decision. Allen is always going to be a QB that tries to make a big play and more often than not he succeeds. So do I want him to immediately throw the ball away if that means his big outside the pocket plays are also taken away? I would rather we just didn't get beat with 4 man pressure. Any QB in the league would look rattled in that situation.

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that Hill and Kelsey just ran wild on us tonight proves how poor our game plan was on Defense. No way you beat this team without at least limiting those two. If they are going to beat you with the other guys so-be-it. But letting the two guys you know you have to stop just kill you...That is a BIG problem. 😎

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2