1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's okay to lose the AFC Championship game. The disappointment comes from the fact that we didn't even look close to being able to compete with KC. And that's who our competition is for the next several years. Beane has to spend all of his attention in the draft and free agency on building a team that can hang with KC.

Lots can happen.  I’d like to improve and beat them as they currently stand.  Honestly though Hill will probably land in jail at some point and that would drastically change their offense.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's okay to lose the AFC Championship game. The disappointment comes from the fact that we didn't even look close to being able to compete with KC. And that's who our competition is for the next several years. Beane has to spend all of his attention in the draft and free agency on building a team that can hang with KC.

That's exactly it. There was some really bad game from some players we hope can carry use. Feliciano had an absolutely awful game. I'm worried about his Oline after this game. 

The game plan in general just has me upset. We didn't even go down swinging!

• Agree 1

Worst play of game: 

Singletary drop, the drop had lasting effect. It stopped a solid drive while bills were up, pulled Singletary and we have a 3rd string rb on the feild. I think it affected the bills mental game, knowing they had to be perfect all night and that was a gimmie.

Best play: 

Josh Allen's first down scramble, brought some life and showed everyone the athlete he is.

What I learned:

1. It really showed tonight just how much we rely on josh and his abilities. I honestly belive mcd and Frazier knew the only way to win was to ask Josh to score over 40 and hope for a few stops on D.

2. Not having speed on offense especially at rb hurt us all year and it bit us tonight. Daboll can't call draws, screens, swing passes, cuz Singletary gets caught from behind or worse. Josh needed that weapon tonight.

3. Giving weapons to your qb works out well (see cheifs for example). The bills needed Josh to score 40 points by himself. The cheifs needed mahomes to place the ball in kelce, hill, hardman, ceh,Williams hands and not turn the ball over.

4. But tonight really showed me how great Allen was for us all season. He really did get us there and just imagine what's possible if we keep surrounding him with weapons. The future is bright. Proud bills fan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Two people showed up to play tonight, McKittrick and Bass-o-Matic.  Porous O-line caused Sugar Rush Josh to rear his ugly head (running backwards for huge sacks killed us all night long).  Then McD kicking FG's instead of going for it because he's not thinking 3 plays ahead to get into position to go for it on 4th.  Going for 2 on our last TD was the ultimate in stupid.  We fail the try and it's a 3 score game, kick the XP and it's a 2 score game.  Then we recover the onside kick, which just made it worse.  I had no problem with the FG after Josh made it 4th and forever, we needed one at some point since McD made it a 3 score game.  Our coaching is still not good enough to compete with the big boys.  Hope McD learns and improves, but his game day management is still suspect.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

By the way, what was the deal with the super long sacks today by Josh. 

I think some of it had to do with the chiefs sort of collapsing him and not letting him get to the outside. But those were bizarre and total

drive killers.

Being behind and wanting to make a play

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It’s what prior Bills front offices couldn’t do—field a team to stop the Pats and their specific offensive threats. They kept drafting BPA or fill holes while Gronk and Edelman would tear them with Brady’s quick release. 

This task is similar but the competition is in another division.

22 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Still think we win the SB this year if the freakin Browns take care of Chad Henne.

Well they didn’t.  Which is even more reason why KC deserves it. We do you need the Browns to beat KC if we can’t - the Browns played the tougher than we did. Think about that. 

Geesshhh. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This game was lost on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Hence my screen name.  McD took a look at KC and decided we couldn’t beat them straight up.  He refused to counter their inevitable aggression.  It’s a shame because he’s come so far this year trusting his offense to win games.  He really reverted this week and you hope the players don’t lose faith in him - they seemed to become unglued by it all at the end of the game.  Their coaches gave them no chance.  This is a bad loss for the Process and it will take some work to repair the damage.

They were thoroughly out-coached in this game. I mean...KC has a ton of talent granted. And it's not even to say the Bills would have won. But they were taken to the woodshed by Reid's staff...It was ugly, and made us look worse than we actually are. That is never a good look for a HC...

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

You think the players became unraveled bc of McD's game plan and not being held, hit late and punched in the face w/o any flags coming out?

I do.  Have you ever played team sports?  Players want to be put in a position to win.  They hate being embarrassed.  The anger you saw was less about the cheap shots and more about the hopeless situation their coaches put them in tonight IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, HappyDays said:

I also think Beane is going to have to learn to let go of some of his less successful picks when it is clear that the position could or should be upgraded.

He seems to get a bit stubborn about those, and I get development, but in this league you have windows of opportunity and you have to do everything you can to ensure that the players you are starting are the best available options.

The Bills made no plays tonight except for the fumble recovery from the punt and Poyer stopping Williams after a swing pass.  That was it.  KC was better than us at every position on offense and defense and with their game plans on offense and defense.  I will never understand how we allowed Kelce to be so open all game without making any adjustments.

Bean has work to do this offseason.  We have a lot of players that are average or a bit above average, but very few that are real stars other than Josh, Diggs, Beasley and usually White (although not tonight).  We really need to figure out what we have with Oliver and Edmunds.  They both lack consistency and have been failing to make big plays.  The o-line has been okay all year, but Allen makes them look better than they are and we can upgrade the guard play.  The d-line needs tackles who can stop the run and linemen that can generate better overall pressure on the QB.

RB also is a real need.  I like Moss, but I think we need a #1 back who is a difference maker rushing and catching the ball.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

This is where Stills would have been a huge add. Smoke isn’t physical enough and GB shouldn’t have been active. Need to add a bigger physical WR to this group in the off-season.

Who’s GB? Gabriel Brown?😳

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

They were thoroughly out-coached in this game. I mean...KC has a ton of talent granted. And it's not even to say the Bills would have won. But they were taken to the woodshed by Reid staff...It was ugly, and made us look worse than we actually are. That is never a good look for a HC...

Literally would’ve been just as bad or better if they hadn’t game planned at all.

• Like (+1) 2

I thought the Singeltary drop was a huge difference maker,  he and Brown need to be shown the door.  On defence we had zero plays,  they should have gone hard after Mahomes early on.  Take some chances at the very least gets some hits on him,  too conservative on both sides of the ball

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I do.  Have you ever played team sports?  Players want to be put in a position to win.  They hate being embarrassed.  The anger you saw was less about the cheap shots and more about the hopeless situation their coaches put them in tonight IMO.

The worst coached game of the year

• Like (+1) 1