1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

39 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm at the "working on silver linings" in my stages of grief:

1) Some fans will always put an asterisk next to this season regardless. I think that's ridiculous, but it's just a fact and that would have bugged me if we did end up w/ our 1st championship.

2) It would have been a long week of hearing the inflated narrative of "The Bills nightmare is waiting for them in the SB" and hearing about Brady's record against us and all that.

3) I would have to turn the volume down on any Brady interview where he would go through the generic and phony "Oh, Buffalo was always such a tough team to play, blah, blah, blah....

It's thin right now.  But I'll keep working on it.

As much as last night hurt, I can't even begin to fathom how awful it would be to lose a SB to Tom Brady---just the risk of that alone I'll take as a silver lining that we don't have to worry about it ;).

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

Good grief.  That was the least of the problems.  You’ve got to get two two-point conversions so why not get one right away. Entirely defensible and correct to go for two there.

Ummm no...kick an extra point and it’s a 2 possession game.  You need two more TD’s anyway.  It’s simple math.  Going for it (unsuccessfully) and making it a 17 point game effectively ended the ball game.

You are right in that there were far bigger problems in terms of kicking two FG’s on 4th and Goal situations, only making KC punt once, missing an extra point, having zero running game, etc

Edited by Mafioso

1 minute ago, Mafioso said:

Ummm no...kick an extra point and it’s a 2 possession game.  You need two more TD’s anyway.  It’s simple math.

It makes no difference.  To make it a two possession game, you have to get at least two two-point conversions at some point, so why not go for the first one right away?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mafioso said:

Ummm no...kick an extra point and it’s a 2 possession game.  You need two more TD’s anyway.  It’s simple math.

You have to try the two-point conversion at some point, and doing it when the Chiefs D is playing like it was garbage time (which it did on that drive) seemed like the perfect time to do it. They were a lot more lackadaisical and the Bills had a bead on them, largely because it was 38-15. The reason fans don't like the call is because it FAILED and crushed any smidgen of hope no matter how false that hope may have been (i.e., the Bills had zero chance to win the game at that point whether they converted or not). It may well have failed all three times given that the Bills don't run the ball well at all and the most effective 2 pt conversion plays are inside runs. 

Edited by dave mcbride

43 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Anyone find it interesting that Romo

during the game tried to downplay his dinner with Fitz and Josh last year? 

I wasn’t sure if Romo was basically saying it was really much ado

about nothing, or if he was trying to downplay it to maintain his objectivity as an announcer (not play favorites)? 

I mean Nantz was trying to credit him as an author of Josh Allen's breakthrough. It was a bit too much. Although it is an awesome story and I'm so glad that those two old pros were willing and interested to sit down for a chat with Josh. I love that anecdote.

The story I thought was nice to hear was the one about McD putting a handwritten note in Bass' locker after that first game with the misses. Amidst the loss and all the knee jerk reactions I think it's possible that fans sometimes forget that player development is a thing and it happens on a curve. It's not just player bad = cut. Player good= ignore and wait for magic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

It makes no difference.  To make it a two possession game, you have to get at least two two-point conversions at some point, so why not go for the first one right away?

For the psyche of the team and perhaps to put some pressure on the Chiefs, a 16 point game when they recover the onside kick is much different than 17 points.

Say they made the 2 point conversion...you are still down 15, which still requires two TD's, an extra point, and a 2 point conversion...so why not just make it a 2 score game immediately by taking the extra point, since you also need one of those if you are fortunate enough to climb back in the game?

It ended up not making a difference, but I'm surprised people are defending that decision.

Let us put QB aside for a second.

I think that the clear gaps in our teams were pretty easy to see in the following three guys:

CHRIS HARRIS

TYREEK HILL

TRAVIS KELCE

All three are gamebreakers.

We need some more juice.

As such, I am hoping McBean finds a unique play maker, if avail, at our pick. Depite my past worries about drafting a round 1 rb, our running game blows and Najee would be a good step, a huge playmaker.

And Hill? He was like a pogo-stick out here, he is absurd and damn near impossible to stop. We need some of that juice.

Edited by foreboding