1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Kelce accounted for nearly 40% of Mahomes’ passes.  He was wide open on almost all of them.

This is completely inexcusable.

Any QB in the league could have done what mahomes did yesterday. I've never seen guys running open like that so consistently in an NFL game.

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

Isn’t Isaiah McKenzie that guy?  An alternative may be in this year’s draft in Purdue’s Rondale Moore.  He is actually projected in WalterFootball’s latest 2021 Mock Draft as the Bills’ 2nd round pick.  Some reviews compare him to T.Hill.

Not in a million years. Nowere near the verasatility, speed, and escapability.

A lot of people riding Frasier. I actually dont think the defensive game plan was that bad; make them drive the feild and hope for 3-4 stops the whole game, which is a reasonable goal, and maybe they make a mistake/ turnover. Also stiffen in the RZ and force FGs. Dont get gashed on chunk plays to Hill and contain the running game.

Instead we got 1 stop and 1 turnover, played terrible in the RZ...we able to stave off the chunk plays until the 2nd half, but eventually getting behind made us bring the safties up and got burned.

This was compounded by our offensive failings. Daboll and Mc Ds gameplan and in game management was the far worse offender. 

23 minutes ago, Process said:

Any QB in the league could have done what mahomes did yesterday. I've never seen guys running open like that so consistently in an NFL game.

I don’t get why josh didn’t take a page from that playbook. We needed to basically make 5-yard throws. He refused to do so for most of the game.  That’s all Mahomes did. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RockyBalboa said:

3 things:
1. Allen choked in the clutch (taking terrible sacks, bad throws all game, including the terrible Int at 31-15)
2. You don't kick FG's to make it 21-12 and then 24-15- McDermott! You go for it and score the TD!
3. The most important stat here- 
THE CHIEFS DID NOT PUNT ONCE after first series!The defense is terrible! Pathetic! ENOUGH SAID!

Agree with everything except I’m not sure the INT was 100 % on Josh.  The sacks for huge losses are the most infuriating thing to me because he seemingly has plenty of time to throw the ball away.

Edited by Mafioso

8 hours ago, RockyBalboa said:

It was double coverage and terrible throw!

Aren't you also criticizing him for holding the ball too long?

Our receivers were covered all night. All night.  At that point of the game, he had to try to thread needles, and he actually hit the WR - but it bounced off him and into an INT.

You can't want him to get rid of the ball and be more aggressive, and then say "but don't throw into coverage."

• Like (+1) 1

GBU...

GOOD

-Bass

-Early 9 point lead

BAD

-Allen...kind of had that same stare Kelly had in the SB blowouts...as in "what the hell is happening here"

-Diggs

-Offensive Line

UGLY

-KC was like the bully in the playground.  The Bills got one lucky punch in early(9 point lead), then got sand kicked in their face, tossed off the top of the slide, and taken back into school and jammed in a locker.

-Scheme against Kelce & Hill 

-McD going for 2 when down 17 was embarrassing and makes me wonder about him in big games going forward

-Edmunds...I bet he would be really good at flag football.

Summary...I didn't think the Bills were going to win, but I didn't expect them to be embarrassed and blown out.  Disappointing end to a very good season.

6 minutes ago, BTB said:

GBU...

GOOD

-Bass

-Early 9 point lead

BAD

-Allen...kind of had that same stare Kelly had in the SB blowouts...as in "what the hell is happening here"

-Diggs

-Offensive Line

UGLY

-KC was like the bully in the playground.  The Bills got one lucky punch in early(9 point lead), then got sand kicked in their face, tossed off the top of the slide, and taken back into school and jammed in a locker.

-Scheme against Kelce & Hill 

-McD going for 2 when down 17 was embarrassing and makes me wonder about him in big games going forward

-Edmunds...I bet he would be really good at flag football.

Summary...I didn't think the Bills were going to win, but I didn't expect them to be embarrassed and blown out.  Disappointing end to a very good season.

Yep, going for 2 down 17 was absolutely mind blowing...compounded by the fact that we actually recovered the onside kick!  That is an unforgivable coaching decision.  Down 16 and there is at least a flicker of hope if we recover that onside kick.  Down 17 = game over.

Chiefs fan here... I tried to get registered last week before the game and talk football, but just got my registration ok'd. I changed the user name to Bills like in case that why I wasn't allowed to register, no offense with it.  You guys are good and will most likely be the rival to the Chiefs for years to come with our young QBs.    Mahomes is the difference for the Chiefs, he's made Kelce and Hill better and just makes plays.  Hill, Kelce and ROY Kareem Hunt all played with Alex Smith and we were one and done in the playoffs in 2017.  Josh is also the difference and can make amazing plays, our game plan was to keep him in the pocket because he is dangerous when he gets outside of it.   Also, our secondary is very good and was getting better all year.   Sneed is an amazing rookie and Thornhill seems to be back to his old self the last month after last years ACL injury.   I think the crowd yesterday also had an effect as visiting teams haven't had to deal with noise, and it was noisy despite only 20% capacity.   Bottom line, you will be back and there will be  a Manning/Brady rivalry with Mahomes/Allen.   I think it's great that these two small market teams will  probably be the AFC  gateway for the next decade.   

One last thing, I read a lot of Tyreek Hill myths on here.   The media quit reporting on Tyreek when it was found out his girlfriend was try to extort him with the claims he injured their son.   The entire audio and other evidence shows that she was lying not only about this, but probably about the incident in 2014 while she was pregnant.  There was no evidence in 2014, only a he said she said, and Tryeek was facing years in prison so plead so he could remain free and play football somewhere.   Tyreek has been a model citizen since he has been at KC, and he has CUSTODY of his kids, which should tell you all you need to know about the allegations.   Oh and the shove to that coach, was in jest, like a come on man I was open, and they were laughing 30 seconds later.

Edited by Letitgobills

1 minute ago, Letitgobills said:

Chiefs fan here... I tried to get registered last week before the game and talk football, but just got my registration ok'd.  You guys are good and will most likely be the rival to the Chiefs for years to come with our young QBs.    Mahomes is the difference for the Chiefs, he's made Kelce and Hill better and just makes plays.  Hill, Kelce and ROY Kareem Hunt all played with Alex Smith and we were one and done in the playoffs in 2017.  Josh is also the difference and can make amazing plays, our game plan was to keep him in the pocket because he is dangerous when he gets outside of it.   Also, our secondary is very good and was getting better all year.   Sneed is an amazing rookie and Thornhill seems to be back to his old self the last month after last years ACL injury.   I think the crowd yesterday also had an effect as visiting teams haven't had to deal with noise, and it was noisy despite only 20% capacity.   Bottom line, you will be back and there will be  a Manning/Brady rivalry with Mahomes/Allen.   I think it's great that these two small market teams will  probably be the AFC  gateway for the next decade.   

One last thing, I read a lot of Tyreek Hill myths on here.   The media quit reporting on Tyreek when it was found out his girlfriend was try to extort him with the claims he injured their son.   The entire audio and other evidence shows that she was lying not only about this, but probably about the incident in 2014 while she was pregnant.  There was no evidence in 2014, only a he said she said, and Tryeek was facing years in prison so plead so he could remain free and play football somewhere.   Tyreek has been a model citizen since he has been at KC, and he has CUSTODY of his kids, which should tell you all you need to know about the allegations.   Oh and the shove to that coach, was in jest, like a come on man I was open, and they were laughing 30 seconds later.

Thanks for not gloating. I’m hoping you’re right but the gap between the two teams stood out a mile last night which is a bit of a concern. I was ready for a defeat but not necessarily the comprehensive way it came about.

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Thanks for not gloating. I’m hoping you’re right but the gap between the two teams stood out a mile last night which is a bit of a concern. I was ready for a defeat but not necessarily the comprehensive way it came about.

I think its the younger fans that gloat, who have had success during the Reid years.  Those of us that have lived the heartbreak for much longer realize how special this time is and realize how frail success can be at times.   I look forward to the rivalry over the next decade.  Who would have thought 10 years ago that in the 2020's the AFC power teams would be the Chiefs, Bills and Browns!  

1 minute ago, Letitgobills said:

I think its the younger fans that gloat, who have had success during the Reid years.  Those of us that have lived the heartbreak for much longer realize how special this time is and realize how frail success can be at times.   I look forward to the rivalry over the next decade.  Who would have thought 10 years ago that in the 2020's the AFC power teams would be the Chiefs, Bills and Browns!  

It gives me confidence that you think there will be a rivalry despite yesterday but maybe that’s because everything is feeling slightly raw at the moment. ☺️

9 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Into single coverage...and the receiver decided to gift the ball to the defense with abysmal hands lol safety was nowhere near close enough to contest the catch 

Brown struggled all season after the injuries.

There is a stubborn coaching philosophy with the Bills to play their vets and starters even when they are not 100% over their depth.

That is part of the reason KC's corners looked like all stars jogging along with Brown and Davis.

Not sure what Dabs is waiting for in regards to getting McKinney more involved in the offense. The kid is a poor man's Hill and should have a larger role.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

It gives me confidence that you think there will be a rivalry despite yesterday but maybe that’s because everything is feeling slightly raw at the moment. ☺️

This is a QB driven league and you have a very good QB and a pretty damn good coach as well, you will be very good for a long time.

I'm at the "working on silver linings" in my stages of grief:

1) Some fans will always put an asterisk next to this season regardless. I think that's ridiculous, but it's just a fact and that would have bugged me if we did end up w/ our 1st championship.

2) It would have been a long week of hearing the inflated narrative of "The Bills nightmare is waiting for them in the SB" and hearing about Brady's record against us and all that.

3) I would have to turn the volume down on any Brady interview where he would go through the generic and phony "Oh, Buffalo was always such a tough team to play, blah, blah, blah....

It's thin right now.  But I'll keep working on it.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mafioso said:

Yep, going for 2 down 17 was absolutely mind blowing...compounded by the fact that we actually recovered the onside kick!  That is an unforgivable coaching decision.  Down 16 and there is at least a flicker of hope if we recover that onside kick.  Down 17 = game over.

Good grief.  That was the least of the problems.  You’ve got to get two two-point conversions so why not get one right away. Entirely defensible and correct to go for two there.

• Like (+1) 2

*Sigh*..... Well it's kinda hitting me a little more today. I "thought" I had for the most part mentally prepared myself for this loss due to the fact I had a feeling our Bills were not quite ready for the Chiefs. As it's settling in I'm a little heart broken.

Maybe it's because of how we lost? I don't know...but keep reminding myself that they have a lot to build off of and are almost there. We have an awesome Bills team and very likely will be top competitors for quite a few years to come.

Maybe it's hitting harder also because the reality of no more Bills football for a while. Anyways, still proud of them and was an incredible season. Off to mourn some more....

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1