1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

10 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Imagine letting the offense you built and  WR you traded for try to win the game. That’s why it hurts. They didn’t even try.  Maybe McDermott will learn. He has done it before. Go Bills. 

I think mcdermott had zero confidence in us picking up those fourth downs and I dont really blame him...of course there was also zero confidence in us stopping the chiefs offense lol so I can see your point 

Just now, RockyBalboa said:

4 times! Correct, double covered..and you don't throw that pass, period.

Yes you do lol this is insanity... if the ball hits your receivers hands he has to catch it...chiefs secondary had a heck of a game that was as open as anyone was really getting on most plays.  If your qb isn't going to make throws in situations like that you are not going to win period.  Most teams don't have the luxury of waiting for receivers to be schemed wide open and the bills absolutely did not have that tonight 

2 minutes ago, RockyBalboa said:

4 times! Correct, double covered..and you don't throw that pass, period.

Ok thanks man.

Anything else, or are you just an average fan that happens to root for a team that drafted Patrick Mahomes and because the team wins you act like you hand selected Mahomes and get to instruct the rest of the league on what good football looks like because you see it on a weekly basis ala Patriots fans like we don’t have eyes or a TV? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ok thanks man.

Anything else, or are you just an average fan that happens to root for a team that drafted Patrick Mahomes and because the team wins you act like you hand selected Mahomes and get to instruct the rest of the league on what good football looks like because you see it on a weekly basis ala Patriots fans like we don’t have eyes or a TV? 

I'm still in shock that he wouldn't want mahomes making that throw...maybe he really is a system quarterback after all and they don't want him making the the tough throws 🤣 allen put his team on his back all season making plays like that.  

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Proud of this team, but out coached badly tonight as they had no answer to the blitz and the d game plan was obviously horrendous.

he’s probably a nice guy but

i have absolutely no need to

ever see Singletary in a bills uniform again. He’s horrible in short yardage and his drops are inexcusable. Need an upgrade here

What happened to him?  He’s plan seems to be to run into the closest guard in the backfield. He’s blowing it 

Hopefully Frazier gets the Texans job. While I appreciate what he has done in his time here, this defense needs to get more aggressive, and Beane could definitely use some extra 3rd round picks.  

Move on from Smoke, Murphy, hopefully Star, and maybe some of those other pieces that didn't really work out as well as we'd hoped, use that cap and find some premium DL/Edge Rushing free agents looking to win a championship.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Anybody from the media ask McD about cluelessly kicking FGs??

Not this again.... Mahomes is better. Josh is good but Mahomes is better. He’s in a league of his own.

Thank you.

This type of sentiment is no knock on Allen. We drafted and developed a really good QB. I expect he'll be making Pro Bowls for a long time.

But folks lose sight of actually how good Mahomes is. They are not roughly equal, or Allen is not about to pass him, or Allen does not still have upside that Mahomes lacks. Mahomes stands apart from the rest of a group of fantastic young QBs.

I just don’t get the ineptitude of this defense. They looked like the complete opposite of what they were last week against the Ravens. They’re either great or they’re terrible and today we got the terrible. 

They were not physical, we’re obviously intimidated, they weren’t aggressive, and there was no passion. With exception of Poyer’s one hit on CEH. 

Same with the o-line today. The Bills got absolutely manhandled in the trenches and the coaches didn’t try anything to change the flow. They just stayed the course and thought their plan would eventually work. 

This is where egos and ideologies of these coaches can get so frustrating. If something isn’t working you try something else, you don’t keep repeating mistakes. That’s almost the literal definition of insanity. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Need a Tyreek Hill type guy. 

Isn’t Isaiah McKenzie that guy?  An alternative may be in this year’s draft in Purdue’s Rondale Moore.  He is actually projected in WalterFootball’s latest 2021 Mock Draft as the Bills’ 2nd round pick.  Some reviews compare him to T.Hill.

Dunno what the vibe has been in this thread but I feel really deflated after that one. The most monumental game for us in this millennium and they looked like they didn’t belong among the final four. The coaching was abysmal, Josh reverted to last year and the defense looked helpless. I couldn’t believe what I was watching. 

It was a fun and exciting season overall but we entered the playoffs as healthy as we could have possibly expected, playing our best ball and then we couldn’t finish the job. 

On defense the issue is you're playing Kansas City. They've been doing this for 14 months save the part of the game where Mahomes sat out last week. They have scored on all of their possessions except 2 with Mahomes in the playoffs.

The correct gameplan against them is to make them go underneath and shorten the game to try to get a shot at winning, but the offense didn't do its part today so the shot at winning wasn't there.

The issue on offense is that it's too one dimensional. If the receivers don't get open, it doesn't work. It also appears that 3 of the 4 guys aren't healthy. In the postseason one dimensional teams can be shut down. We saw that vs the Ravens. The priority has to be bringing some balance into the offense.

3 hours ago, Success said:

I didn't really recognize that KC defense. I've watched them quite a bit this year - that had to be one of the best games they played.

Spags just called it perfectly.  There was constant pressure on Josh, and at the same time, the receivers were well covered.  Not the easiest thing to pull off.

It's the same one the Bills saw in week 6.....maybe you didn't recognize it because it just happens that KC is a bad matchup for what the Bills do on offense.  KC has a bunch of DB's that can cover.  KC sucks at covering LB and TE...but you guys don't throw that way much.....KC held Diggs to his second lowest yardage totals and catches in week 6....because of the same thing.  In other games VS opponents that have pass catching backs and/or TE's....that presents much more of a matchup problem for KC.  Couple that with the fact KC generated pressure quite a bit with just the front 4 and there it is.

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I think when we have time to take a deep breath and look back on this season it will become even more impressive that the Bills Offense was as good as it was considering we had next to no running game to compliment at all...It really is amazing. 

I have seen A TON of posts here about Bills fans lamenting the idea that not having a good running game is the main problem...I'm not going to tell you that it's good to not have a running game....but Kc has no running game to speak of either.  It is good to have one....but the part you guys are missing is the dynamic TE.  O good passing team can piece together a run game....you need a TE bad.  ...and then if nothing else at least get a pass catchign RB.  The Raiders give KC hell because even though that team isn't all that good....they are matchup nightmare for KC's D.  They have Waller...and even Jason Witten....along with a stable of RB's who all are good at recieving....their FB even lit us up for multiple catches.  If you can play two TE sets with a RB and FB adn ALL of them are threats to catch teh ball...KC can't cover that with their POOR LB.  ......so again...Buffalo came to this game with Diggs, Beasley and soem other WR's....all featured in their pass game.  KC has the horses to cover that....and if you could run...they'd not care.....PASS catchers that demand a LB on the field....you need them.

3 hours ago, noacls said:

Tre White=over rated

Since the game was over and I've had a chance to look at what the Bills did....White actually played his ass off....they tried manning him up on Hill and Kelce at different points of the game....with White on Hill...hill only had like 2 catches for 25 yards or something...and when he was manned on Kelce...Kelce had like 4 for 28 or somethuing.....He was very effective....problem is...there is only one Tre White....and he couldn't cover both at the same time...I can't speak to what the coaches were trying to do....KC was able to dial up pretty much whatever they wanted...but it wasn't becasue of Tre White.....that guy is worth the money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Imagine letting the offense you built and  WR you traded for try to win the game. That’s why it hurts. They didn’t even try.  Maybe McDermott will learn. He has done it before. Go Bills. 

Here’s someone that agrees:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-mc-dermott-plays-its-safe-with-conservative-field-goals-in-afc-championship-loss-to-chiefs-031129771.html

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Isn’t Isaiah McKenzie that guy?  An alternative may be in this year’s draft in Purdue’s Rondale Moore.  He is actually projected in WalterFootball’s latest 2021 Mock Draft as the Bills’ 2nd round pick.  Some reviews compare him to T.Hill.

Why was McKenzie on the bench most of the playoffs?

Maybe our offense was a bit too predictable in the playoffs. All the games felt like hard yards. When Diggs was covered it was hard to move to another tactic so hopefully in the offseason they scheme some things up that allow the offense to do that when one thing isn't working.

The most obvious thing is a running game. It would really help Josh if the opposing defense had any sort of worry that we could actually run it down their throats. Next would be getting the TEs more involved. Knox showed a few flashes here and there during the season but I really thought going into the season that TE would be a bigger part of our game.

Defense obviously a pass rush would help. I've been disappointed in Oliver since we drafted him but as people have said he needs a big body next to him to help free him up. Hughes has been great for us over the years but he's getting up there in age now and disappears for long stretches. A true wrecking ball that teams have to scheme for would really change this defense and open things up for guys like Oliver.

One thing about our D that is really noticeable is they don't play nasty. Even when they're having a good game it's more about them being disciplined and athletic. KC's defense was pure nastiness last night, they roughed up our receivers and their D line was aggressive the whole game. They had that killer instinct.

It was basically the first fight between Clubber Lang and Rocky. They seemed hungrier, nastier and they knocked us out

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Success said:

It is almost infinitely better to discover this about ourselves in this game, and not the next game.

Good point. Sure seems there's a lot to work on suddenly, though. We need a running back, at least one guard, a corner, somebody to cover Kelsey, at least one receiver, and a defensive tackle. Oh, and a head coach who doesn't stab his team in the back. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, finn said:

Good point. Sure seems there's a lot to work on suddenly, though. We need a running back, at least one guard, a corner, somebody to cover Kelsey, at least one receiver, and a defensive tackle. Oh, and a head coach who doesn't stab his team in the back. 

Before we enter full panic mode, that was the defending SuperBowl champs, with the most talented offense in football, with one of the best offensive minds in football, who with that group lost one game this season.

And they were on their game when the Bills were off. 

There is a gap between them and the Bills but not a chasm. 

• Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Before we enter full panic mode, that was the defending SuperBowl champs, with the most talented offense in football, with one of the best offensive minds in football, who with that group lost one game this season.

And they were on their game when the Bills were off. 

There is a gap between them and the Bills but not a chasm. 

Maybe. From my list of needs, I would settle for a healthy Moss, a healthy Brown/Brown replacement, and a coach with a spine. Not in that order.