1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

11 minutes ago, Success said:

When did we become such a hot-take nation?  Has it always been like that?

Watching some of the pundits & checking twitter, you'd think Allen never had the season he did.  

I mean, only 1 team gets to win in the end.....

What did the analysts want Allen to do? 

Ride TJ Yeldon all night?

Run up the middle more? 

Throw to double covered Stefon Diggs more?

Jam it into Knox tighter? 

Beg McDermott/Daboll to play McKenzie? 

Become an OT and block for Barkley? 

1 minute ago, billybob71 said:

I would guess most of these hot takes aren't Bills fans just people who originally said Allen would suck and they still grasping at straws to be proven right.

He’s 2-2 in the Playoffs. He’s not a disaster. He fought until the very end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Don’t care what anyone says. We did not show up, played like we were lucky to be there. On to next year. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What did the analysts want Allen to do? 

Ride TJ Yeldon all night?

Run up the middle more? 

Throw to double covered Stefon Diggs more?

Jam it into Knox tighter? 

Beg McDermott/Daboll to play McKenzie? 

Become an OT and block for Barkley? 

He’s 2-2 in the Playoffs. He’s not a disaster. He fought until the very end.

Somehow kc was open all night.  They had a better scheme. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Don’t care what anyone says. We did not show up, played like we were lucky to be there. On to next year. 

Well the Bills decided to let air cover Kelce from the opening snap.

And Hill looked like Sonic level speed tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The Bills had barely any pass rush and couldn't collapse the pocket.  Therefore, every play from KC was like *bang* and KC did something meaningful to move the chains time after time after time.  Josh Allen, in comparison, either had time to throw into dangerous situations, got the yips to miss open receivers, or was leveled.

As I said in another thread, I'm just thankful for the success we had this year & finally getting to see Allen play at a high level in the regular season.

Most QB's aren't Mahomes & don't just instantly play like HOFers. Most teams don't just become SB contenders overnight.

So the fact we won the AFC East, had the best WR in the league, had a Pro Bowl QB, and won 2 playoff games makes me happy. 

Next year I'd want better, but this year was awesome to experience while it lasted.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1

I think when we have time to take a deep breath and look back on this season it will become even more impressive that the Bills Offense was as good as it was considering we had next to no running game to compliment at all...It really is amazing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

I think when we have time to take a deep breath and look back on this season it will become even more impressive that the Bills Offense was as good as it was considering we had next to no running game to compliment at all...It really is amazing. 

Yep it goes to show how good Allen can be and I'm confident he not gonna quit working and getting better the kid is a fighter and the best is yet to come.

And i keep hearing how the Diggs trade made Allen better which is true to some extent but Diggs had a career year because of the QB he had, he aint putting up those numbers with Kirk Cousins

• Like (+1) 1

This game was fun for all of nine seconds. Special teams turnover touchdown. Then boink..9-0

Heck of a job from the Chiefs taking our receivers out of the game. It was easy to see from many of the replays the tight coverage coupled with piss poor o line play tonight. Not absolving Josh from some dumb decisions throwing into double coverage vs underneath but I bet more often than not our guys lost the battle. 

Disappointed that we didn’t do something more on defence. At the very least you have to take either Kelce or Hill out of the game. I’d have two guys on Kelce at all times and live and die with it. Because what we did today was absolutely nothing. It was pitch and catch for them. 

If there is value at running back at pick 29-30 or Free Agency I’m not opposed. Devin is done. We are one dimensional until then. Rolling with Tj Yeldon in an AFC  title game isn’t good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

A somewhat disturbing ending to a mostly excellent season. I’d certainly have been fine with a close, competitive loss, but this was something else. This felt very much like the ‘90s Super Bowl losses ( aside from XXV) and last year’s Houston loss rolled into one. The final quarter was into embarrassing territory. The coaching staff did not acquit themselves well, and the settling for FGs Vs an offense like the Chiefs was almost Jauron- like conservative. I loved Allen’s season, but tonight won’t do much to remove the negative narratives on him. About as bad an end to a great season that one could imagine. 

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I am getting into my comfortable "on to the draft and FA mode"

If this team is going to go further they need to upgrade their interior o-line and d-line. Beane also has to consider that his high-priced d-line struggles to do what  many 4-man fronts can, generate pressure and stop the run without committing a lot of extra rushers.

I still am not sold on Edmunds and Oliver. Not sure if it is scheme or ability, but too many games pass where they mostly disappear. Edmunds had a good game agaist the Ravens, I would have preferred if the used him to try to cover Kelci today rather than roam the middle like a big useless nickel back.

I am going to check out before I get too cranky. Good season still, there are plenty of teams worse, but KC has our number till this coaching staff and players can prove otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Allen has to learn that those dump offs and passes underneath are money too.

How many of KC's dinks and dunks went for big RAC yards? Did Mahomes have to hit a lot of deep home runs or was he just able to keep taking what Frazier was giving him and work down the field? Admittedly KC seems better at tackling to ensure less RAC and the Bills D struggles with that, but the point remains.

That is the lesson that Allen has gotten at times this year, but has to be reinforced. There are no style points.

In fairness as Allen alluded in his presser I just watched, KC did a good job of disguising.

Showing blitz and backing off, showing zone and blitzing, and showing zone but switching to playing man deeper.

They did a lot of things that kept that ball in his hands longer - Hard to let this one go.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Beasley and Knox were open underneath a lot. 

There were a few plays where Beasley had the sticks, but Allen tried to force it deeper to Digs who was bracketed. It was a good plan by KC to take advantage of Allen's tendency to prefer to wait for a deeper options to develop, plus take away his Diggs safety blanket.

I think Dabs could have done more bunch concepts and shallow crossers to mess with their man defense or force them into more predictable zone play.

He didn't.

This. Allen needs to throw the underneath stuff more early and often. That opens up the rest of the field later. He wasn’t. Then he takes unnecessary sacks which put us in horrible down and distance. 

those complaining about the defensive game plan or Tre White not being matched up on their elite players need to rewatch the tape. Most of their big passes were short passes that broke for long yardage. Many of which were Tre White in coverage. A few times getting burnt off the line of scrimmage. 

we just need more speed on defense. More talent on D-line. Another stud CB. Preferably one who can handle man coverage. Offense I think we have people open. JA just needs to learn to be quicker on getting the ball out. More patient for the big plays. They were covering the deep stuff take the dump offs. That’s why Brady has been good all these years. Not because he hits on deep balls. It’s because he keeps the sticks moving. Dumps off to RB’s and has a 100 reception slot guy every season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Proud of this team and proud of this season. 

1. We were so ill prepared for this KC team, it’s almost baffling.

2. Really hoping this isn’t our version of the Rams or Eagles. 

3. I am at a point where the hype machine for KC is turned up so high, that I’m split on who I want to see win, KC or TB. I don’t want another year of Mahomes being the prodigal son. 

Easy one for me. Go with the Bucs.

TB is already considered by most to be the GOAT. So, him winning again won’t change his narrative as much.

But if Mahomes wins, the narrative will be relentless especially with the whole Allen and Mahomes debate. Yuck!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am getting into my comfortable "on to the draft and FA mode"

If this team is going to go further they need to upgrade their interior o-line and d-line. Beane also has to consider that his high-priced d-line struggles to do what  many 4-man fronts can, generate pressure and stop the run without committing a lot of extra rushers.

I still am not sold on Edmunds and Oliver. Not sure if it is scheme or ability, but too many games pass where they mostly disappear. Edmunds had a good game agaist the Ravens, I would have preferred if the used him to try to cover Kelci today rather than roam the middle like a big useless nickel back.

I am going to check out before I get too cranky. Good season still, there are plenty of teams worse, but KC has our number till this coaching staff and players can prove otherwise.

There was one crossing route early in the game where Edmunds dropped in zone and literally ran the opposite direction with Hill flashing behind him and I yelled "Where the hell are you going!" 😂

45 minutes ago, ngbills said:

KC’s WR’s were so open it looked easy. Every one of our completions looked contested. Even the swing routes. It definitely was a scheme/coaching issue. One that hopefully McDermott can recognize fault and look for talent in the offseason to allow for better game planning. I have hope/faith they can. KC is beatable. We have a ways to go to get there though. That was evident tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fred Slacks said:

This. Allen needs to throw the underneath stuff more early and often. That opens up the rest of the field later. He wasn’t. Then he takes unnecessary sacks which put us in horrible down and distance. 

those complaining about the defensive game plan or Tre White not being matched up on their elite players need to rewatch the tape. Most of their big passes were short passes that broke for long yardage. Many of which were Tre White in coverage. A few times getting burnt off the line of scrimmage. 

we just need more speed on defense. More talent on D-line. Another stud CB. Preferably one who can handle man coverage. Offense I think we have people open. JA just needs to learn to be quicker on getting the ball out. More patient for the big plays. They were covering the deep stuff take the dump offs. That’s why Brady has been good all these years. Not because he hits on deep balls. It’s because he keeps the sticks moving. Dumps off to RB’s and has a 100 reception slot guy every season. 

Yeah. 

KC was doing some good things on defense too, waiting for Allen to call protections and plays then switching things up before the snap. Did a good job of disguising looks too. It was a tough game all around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2