1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

7 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Hard to get rid of the ball fast when no one open and there didnt seem to be many check downs available either on alot of plays.

Beasley and Knox were open underneath a lot. 

There were a few plays where Beasley had the sticks, but Allen tried to force it deeper to Digs who was bracketed. It was a good plan by KC to take advantage of Allen's tendency to prefer to wait for a deeper options to develop, plus take away his Diggs safety blanket.

I think Dabs could have done more bunch concepts and shallow crossers to mess with their man defense or force them into more predictable zone play.

He didn't.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

The fact that Hill and Kelsey just ran wild on us tonight proves how poor our game plan was on Defense. No way you beat this team without at least limiting those two. If they are going to beat you with the other guys so-be-it. But letting the two guys you know you have to stop just kill you...That is a BIG problem. 😎

The attitude from Frazier should have been "We are taking away Hill and Kelce so try to beat us with the rest."    He went to his passive and soft zone.  Minimum blitzing.  No line stunts.  Doomed to failure against a high flying offense like KC has.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Serious question - did Mahomes throw the ball away once tonight? Their offense made it look so easy I don't think he ever had to make that decision. Allen is always going to be a QB that tries to make a big play and more often than not he succeeds. So do I want him to immediately throw the ball away if that means his big outside the pocket plays are also taken away? I would rather we just didn't get beat with 4 man pressure. Any QB in the league would look rattled in that situation.

I agree and Mahomes had wide open receivers many times tonight I cant remember a single play where a Bills player really that open besides a few check downs maybe

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Serious question - did Mahomes throw the ball away once tonight? Their offense made it look so easy I don't think he ever had to make that decision. Allen is always going to be a QB that tries to make a big play and more often than not he succeeds. So do I want him to immediately throw the ball away if that means his big outside the pocket plays are also taken away? I would rather we just didn't get beat with 4 man pressure. Any QB in the league would look rattled in that situation.

I think he threw it away only 2-3 times tops. He was nonchalant about it - just threw it in a spot no one was at.

Not a lot of stopping going on.... did they punt the ball even once?

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Beasley and Knox were open underneath a lot. 

There were a few plays where Beasley had the sticks, but Allen tried to force it deeper to Digs who was bracketed. It was a good plan by KC to take advantage of Allen's tendency to prefer to wait for a deeper options to develop, plus take away his Diggs safety blanket.

I think Dabs could have done more bunch concepts and shallow crossers to mess with their man defense or force them into more predictable zone play.

He didn't.

I think Josh took major steps this year taking what Defenses gave him...But I totally agree Josh was looking a bit too much for someone to shake loose down the field. He's got to get better in that regard. I also don't feel Daboll did enough to help him...

But I'm optimistic about Josh. He'll get better...Especially if the Bills can get him any kind of complimentary run game.

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

The attitude from Frazier should have been "We are taking away Hill and Kelce so try to beat us with the rest."    He went to his passive and soft zone.  Minimum blitzing.  No line stunts.  Doomed to failure against a high flying offense like KC has.

They literally looked like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads chopped off tonight...

It was ugly...

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think we made Mahomes feel uncomfortable twice.  

The difference in this game was three guys:  Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.  We had no answer to any of them. They are better than anyone on our team.  Hill is the best non-QB in the league—just an absolute terror on the football field.  And Kelce is not far behind.  

On the one hand, this year was a huge step forward, and if they can largely keep the team together, make a few tweaks and stay healthy, next year should be even better. However, you can never tell when you'll have another opportunity to go the to Super Bowl. People get hurt, their attitudes change and other teams may get lucky. We can celebrate a very good year, but it's still terribly disappointing since there are no guarantees at all than next year will even be as good, let alone better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

I think Josh took major steps this year taking what Defenses gave him...But I totally agree Josh was looking a bit too much for someone to shake loose down the field. He's got to get better in that regard. But I'm optimistic. 

I think he felt the pressure to keep up with Mahomes, no running game and D getting gashed everything on his shoulders to pull it out as was the case in the Colts game.

• Like (+1) 6

The whole game felt like we're a year away.

To win a Super Bowl, you need a championship defense. That old cliche is true 9 times out of 10 - defense wins championships.  Our defense right now has some nice players and building blocks, but they are not there, or even close.  We just don't have it in the trenches.

We're close, though.  We need to shore up the D, and build a stronger running game - that's about it.  One good draft,, and a key FA or 2, and we can be right there w/ KC.

I'd still like to see the game where Singletary catches that ball, rips off 20 yards and we go in for a TD on that drive.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think we made Mahomes feel uncomfortable twice.  

The difference in this game was three guys:  Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.  We had no answer to any of them. They are better than anyone on our team.  Hill is the best non-QB in the league—just an absolute terror on the football field.  And Kelce is not far behind.  

Hill made #27 look silly at times 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

If you don't convert and go into the half 21-9 after being killed in the second quarter you are done FOR SURE.

A field goal takes a little energy out of the crowd and gives some moral strength to the team.  Did it matter in the end?  No - but to me it was the responsible call.

Whatever you say Jauron

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Golden said:

Hill made #27 look silly at times 

Hill can make anyone in the NFL look silly.  Absolutely no one can match his combination of speed and quickness.  Just flat-out electric. And he never drops the ball.  

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Hill is the best non-QB in the league—just an absolute terror on the football field.

And off of the football field...but it's the NFL, and not any other profession in the world so we just pretend like those issues don't exist. 😁

• Agree 1