1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

The Bills were good most of the season when they got deep in enemy territory. But Daboll could not dial up anything tonight when the field tightened up. If he had this would have been a shoot-out. Maybe we still lose...But it would have been a lot closer. 😎

Daboll ran plays all post season that seemed to be conservative compared to regular season.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

KC commiting defensive holding and illegal contact downfield all game and getting away with it. No surprise the whistles have been put away in the playoffs. Bills receivers were not ready for that. Needed to have a better plan.

This is where Stills would have been a huge add. Smoke isn’t physical enough and GB shouldn’t have been active. Need to add a bigger physical WR to this group in the off-season.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'm supposed to be happy about the season. And while I am, I'm also disappointed. This is not the game I wanted my Buffalo Bills to go out on.

Yeah it's okay to lose the AFC Championship game. The disappointment comes from the fact that we didn't even look close to being able to compete with KC. And that's who our competition is for the next several years. Beane has to spend all of his attention in the draft and free agency on building a team that can hang with KC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The scheme on D was so weak. A free 7 yards on every play. Safeties 20 yards off the los. I'd rather attack and risk getting burned once in a while than play a soft, scared, nonaggressive style defense. It's ineffective and demoralizing for the players, not to mention frustrating as he'll to watch. Another good cb would be great but that defensive scheme sucked.

They just had better playmakers 

8 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Offensively we never played well once we got into the playoffs. A banged up receiving corps and no running game finally did us in. F’ing Cleveland’s offense looked better. In the end Josh took to many big sacks trying to hard to extend plays. Hopefully he learns, he got some big games under his belt, hopefully he grows because of it ...

To me, that's the basis. We're still talking about a guy who was effectively a College freshman experience-wise when drafted, who reached a conference championship in D+3 year. This is a good basis. The ceiling isn't reached, and we saw that today as he was trying to react in the 4th quarter. He's still feeling around for what he can do, what he can get away with, what wins. It's still on the sweeping curve which says ascent.

My blush was that, why didn't Allen and the Bills do what Mahomes and the Chiefs did, take the 5 and 10 yard gimmes to Kelce and Hill. Allen maddeningly still thought his arm could punch through zone. Mahomes knew he had automatic plays and layups and made them. This is stuff experience gives and this game gives Allen experience. the stage will not be so unfamiliar next time, the lights less bright. Take the gimmes. 

Mahomes actually did very damn little today that was special - except taking what was there. He got ballwashed for a sidearm sling or shedding a sack, but that was rote. Most of the damage was done downfield by guys who received the ball within 10 yards of the LOS and made plays. Pat was a hell of a distributor cap but he didn't make the difference tonight. The fact is those guys were WIDE effing open all EFFING day long underneath, and Mahoney was happy to take that all day long. Experience. Henne would have beat the Bills with this game plan.

• Like (+1) 4

This game was lost on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Hence my screen name.  McD took a look at KC and decided we couldn’t beat them straight up.  He refused to counter their inevitable aggression.  It’s a shame because he’s come so far this year trusting his offense to win games.  He really reverted this week and you hope the players don’t lose faith in him - they seemed to become unglued by it all at the end of the game.  Their coaches gave them no chance.  This is a bad loss for the Process and it will take some work to repair the damage.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Allen did do well against the blitz during the year, but the way our receivers were covered tonight......there wasn't much he could do. He waited too long too many times for a someone to get open. I think he should have tried rolling out to his left just to try to throw off their gameplan

It's hindsight now but I think he had even more opportunities to pull it down and take off if he wanted too...But he had so much success all year holding it till someone broke open he died on that sword tonight...It is what it is I guess...😎

6 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

This is bull####. We were 13-3, the #2 seed and waxed a bunch of good teams. We ***** laid an egg tonight and it absolutely sucks.

The second sentence is completely irrelevant in context of what happened to us in this game. Which is what was being talked about. We aren't on the same level as the Chiefs.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This game was lost on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Hence my screen name.  McD took a look at KC and decided we couldn’t beat them straight up.  He refused to counter their inevitable aggression.  It’s a shame because he’s come so far this year trusting his offense to win games.  He really reverted this week and you hope the players don’t lose faith in him - they seemed to become unglued by it all at the end of the game.  Their coaches gave them no chance.  This is a bad loss for the Process and it will take some work to repair the damage.

I LOVED that the players got chippy. I loved that they didn't stand there and take the cheap shots from the Chiefs. I don't think we have to worry about the players losing faith in McD. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

The defensive scheme was correct but offensively Buffalo was too one-dimensional this year. The only gameplan that works against the Chiefs is to shorten the game, but Buffalo didn't have the offense to do it this season because they can't run.

No the only loss the Chiefs had in the last 25 games was to the Raiders where they outgunned them and got after Mahomes all 2nd half and made him look bad. No team that has tried to win the way you suggested has made it work...all of their losses were when they got outgunned.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

By the way, what was the deal with the super long sacks today by Josh. 

I think some of it had to do with the chiefs sort of collapsing him and not letting him get to the outside. But those were bizarre and total

drive killers.

I believe they boxed him in and he simply wasn't able to safely get the ball away without risking grounding or a pick. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

By the way, what was the deal with the super long sacks today by Josh. 

I think some of it had to do with the chiefs sort of collapsing him and not letting him get to the outside. But those were bizarre and total

drive killers.

4 sacks 53 yards lost.  That is sports psychologist territory.  No joke.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You think the players became unraveled bc of McD's game plan and not being held, hit late and punched in the face w/o any flags coming out?