1/24/21 AFC Championship Game Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

I agree that we need a better pass rush and running game. But I feel more like the way to get there is a true CB2 (coverage leads to sacks), and better o-line play. I'd like to see us draft CB2, OL, DL. then a speedy RB.

The scheme on D was so weak. A free 7 yards on every play. Safeties 20 yards off the los. I'd rather attack and risk getting burned once in a while than play a soft, scared, nonaggressive style defense. It's ineffective and demoralizing for the players, not to mention frustrating as he'll to watch. Another good cb would be great but that defensive scheme sucked.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Gutless approach by McD and Frazier ensured our defeat.

Can't beat a team of this caliber playing the way they did.

The FGs were inexcusable and the gameplan was flawed, but that’s not why we lost.  They have Mahomes, Hill and Kelce and we don’t.  It was a wake up call.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Considering how poor we looked on both sides of the football, it's still a surprise we put up as many points as we did - even if some were garbage time points.

I think we were shown that we aren't quite ready to compete at this level. We don't have enough talent yet throughout the roster, and we were lacking answers on the coaching side as well.

It has still been a great season, no doubt about it, but today has left a bitter taste.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Those 4th and short were all on McDermott. He made those calls to kick FGs. Yeah, I would have called a designed QB run on that 3rd down. His decision to kick FGs made absolutely no sense to me

That play was disappointing for sure, but their D was owning us at that point. As they did all night - receivers blanketed, Josh on the move, no run game (per usual).  This just in, KC is good - gotta score, score, score...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

1. Coaching staff had their worst game of the season. Daboll's playcalling was mediocre at best and piss poor at worst. Allen should have been used on the 4th down plays instead of FGS. Frazier and the defense looked like they didnt prepare at all, like it was 1960s NFL when teams just played their simple playbook and watched no tape on another team. How could they possible be that clueless? McD's decisions to go for FGs just handed the momentum to the chiefs every time. You are in the championship game VS the best team in the league, VS the MVP at QB. Why the hell are playing so conservative.

2. A few small plays in this game that seemed not so important at the time but I think were huge. Bass's missed PAT. Didn't matter scorewise but psychologically was a bad omen. The missed punch by the KC lineman should have been an ejection and would have really changed their defensive scheme. Singletary's drop was an absolute gut punch. He would have run for 20 yards plus on that play. It just killed their momentum and probably contributed to Josh being even more under pressure and nervous.

If you think that punch was missed you are crazy, it was ignored. But I agree with your point...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

This game made me feel very unhappy about our future.  Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill look like they are playing a different sport than anyone else, and all of them are going to be in KC for a long time.  Really dislike how this Chiefs team bodes for the Bills in the future.

Diggs and Allen kind of looked like that at times against other teams this year. There were multiple games where Diggs was practically mocking the opposing secondary. 

But I get your point, it’s the best offensive trifecta in the league. I still don’t totally trust Hill though. In addition to beating all members of his family apparently, he just has that mean nervous energy about him. He flipped out on a coach last week but it was apparently all good or whatever, and he just kind of looks like he has a screw loose after some plays, including today. Not rooting for the guy to be the next AB but I don’t know if I trust him to be a contributor for years to come.

Just now, mannc said:

The FGs were inexcusable and the gameplan was flawed, but that’s not why we lost.  They have Mahomes, Hill and Kelce and we don’t.  It was a wake up call.

Not not like we were the only team that couldn't stop them this year (or the past 3 years).  Kelce is a problem for the whole league, especially this D that can't stop a TE regardless...

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

7 minutes ago, Jester said:

Why can’t we cover good tight ends? Where was our O line? What happened to the D? Coaching?? I have questions ... and I’m mad. It was a nice run but the ending sucked. Go Bills. 

I’ve been very critical of McDermott tonight but at least he said “we didn’t coach our best game” afterward.  Respect his ability to recognize/say that even though the loss is still fresh

Edited by Mafioso

The FG’s were bad in hindsight. But let me defend McD.

McD is watching this offense tonight that had to work for every single yard. They were totally shut down. I think he was thinking he had to get the points he could get, hope (pray?) that the D got a stop or a TO down the stretch, and extend the game to stay within striking distance.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

They have an offensive line that gives Mahomes time, we gave josh squat...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Daboll was really dissapointing. We needed to really bring in the kitchen sink to win, and we played way to safe.

We played scared.....

Maybe that's why the Chargers took a rain check. All our coaches did terrible tonight. Leslie having no answer for Kelce. Sean settling for FG's against the most dynamic offense in the league. Daboll being inconsistent Daboll. It all came to a head tonight. And I'm sure Josh had his dad on his mind. We had a great season. One we haven't seen in a quarter of a century. We'll be ready next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

Considering how poor we looked on both sides of the football, it's still a surprise we put up as many points as we did - even if some were garbage time points.

I think we were shown that we aren't quite ready to compete at this level. We don't have enough talent yet throughout the roster, and we were lacking answers on the coaching side as well.

It has still been a great season, no doubt about it, but today has left a bitter taste.

This is bull####. We were 13-3, the #2 seed and waxed a bunch of good teams. We ***** laid an egg tonight and it absolutely sucks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Blaming Daboll isn't accurate here. KC covered our receivers well tonight. Josh had nowhere to throw hardly. As for Frazier? I'm not sure if it was his horrid gameplan or lack of execution or both. But McDermott........twitter roasted him more than I think we could

Why couldn't the top paid CB in the NFL cover KC WR's tonight. Your not going to see Deion or Revis covering a teams 2nd or 3rd passing options. White needs to cover Hill and Kelce should have be bracketed. Edmunds was pure garbage tonight, he makes the pro bowl look like a shut show. Oliver was a major waste of space in this game and our O-line needs major upgrades in the interior. Anyone who thinks we are 1 good draft and FA away for beating KC is smoking some good *****. We need some major upgrades to even be close to challenging KC. 

The Bills were good most of the season when they got deep in enemy territory. But Daboll could not dial up anything tonight when the field tightened up. If he had this would have been a shoot-out. Maybe we still lose...But it would have been a lot closer. 😎

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

That play was disappointing for sure, but their D was owning us at that point. As they did all night - receivers blanketed, Josh on the move, no run game (per usual).  This just in, KC is good - gotta score, score, score...

Hence why we shouldn’t have settled for FG’s...kiss of death against the Chiefs

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Yep.  We actually would have been better off trying to run the ball more, take time off the clock and prevent KC defense from pinning their ears back. Rumors that Josh Allen kills the blitz are greatly exaggerated.