Seahawks want to interview Dorsey for OC [Edit: hiring Waldron from Rams]

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Every OC has never called plays at some point. 

I think when you are going to work for a defensive minded HC the ante might be higher on playcalling experience for the OC

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His resume is Cam Newton and Josh Allen. 2 MVP type QB's. 

Calling plays isn't hard. The difficult part is putting together a game plan that works best for the talent on the roster. 

He’s been involved in the game planning part in Buffalo. That’s not the concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yet another unchartered course for the team. For a couple decades, we were lucky to take scraps off the heap after all the other teams filled vacancies. Our ‘let gos’ seemed never to be heard from again. Now? Poachers are out in full force crawling around Bills Stadium like cockroaches on a cold Florida morning..

dammit. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think when you are going to work for a defensive minded HC the ante might be higher on playcalling experience for the OC

He’s been involved in the game planning part in Buffalo. That’s not the concern. 

He's part of it, not in charge of it. You see that card coaches use? That's like 1/8 of an NFL play book. It's got their best plays that week for every situation. Give me Andy Reid's card and I can call plays. 

Sure there is a feel to the game also but creating the actual plan during the week is the hardest part. Really starts in the offseason. 

I have him at the top of our list to replace Daboll as far as in house candidates.  If the org feels the same, to keep him we could assign the assistant coach designation to him which would keep him anything but an HC position ?

Of course external candidates are plentiful (daboll) but in-house experiences and time spent next season on campus (pending Daboll departure) would be a key factor as well I would think

Thoughts ?

6 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

I have him at the top of our list to replace Daboll as far as in house candidates.  If the org feels the same, to keep him we could assign the assistant coach designation to him which would keep him anything but an HC position ?

Of course external candidates are plentiful (daboll) but in-house experiences and time spent next season on campus (pending Daboll departure) would be a key factor as well I would think

Thoughts ?

From what I understand there is no way to prevent an assistant coach from becoming a coordinator anymore. In the past you could do that but not anymore. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Why? He’s never called plays...

That's true of most OCs getting their first shot.

While the opportunity to work with Russ Wilson is certainly attractive,  some are sounding a note of caution:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seahawks/why-seahawks-need-new-oc-insignificant-if-pete-carroll-remains-micromanager

Let’s start with Saturday, a game in which the Seahawks offense got comprehensively whooped by the Rams defense in the 30-20 Wild Card loss. That primarily falls on Schottenheimer. But you surely remember that crucial 4th-and-1 situation in the fourth quarter with Seattle trailing by 10 points. After Damien Lewis' injury on third down, the Seahawks had roughly two-and-a-half minutes in real time to come up with a play call.

And yet, Wilson and the offense broke the huddle with about five seconds left on the play clock and ultimately were penalized for a back-breaking false start. We then learned on Monday that the root of that penalty was because Pete Carroll was “fighting the (play) call a bit,” he shared on 710 ESPN Seattle.

That means, with the season on the line, in a moment where Schottenheimer was tasked with picking the singular play he felt gave Seattle the best chance to convert, Carroll stepped into the kitchen and vetoed.

Imagine dealing with that sort of micromanaging at any point, let alone under those levels of pressure and consequence.

Carroll also admitted to seeing the play clock winding down and choosing not to call timeout. He said multiple times that he was just fine punting in that scenario.

Set aside whether or not you cared for Schottenheimer. Many didn't, of course. You may have been among those who wanted him gone and this is good news to you.

But he was still Seattle’s OC and the chief offensive expert on the coaching staff. Those are the moments that define you as a professional, and he had the ball taken out of his hands.

Ask yourself whether that’s a situation you’d want to return to.

Some worthy candidates might not want the job given Carroll’s oversight and vision, even with the allure of working with Russell Wilson. Others will be handpicked to execute Carroll’s vision.

The moral of the story is this: Until Pete Carroll removes himself from the offense, the acumen and ability of any future OC will continue to be diluted, at least to a certain degree.