Sources: Super Bowl teams not allowed in Tampa until 2 days before game

Sources: Super Bowl teams not allowed in Tampa until 2 days before game

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30769839/sources-super-bowl-teams-not-allowed-tampa-2-days-game

Super Bowl teams always arrive in the city of the game one week in advance, but this season's participants are not allowed to arrive in Tampa, Florida, any earlier than the Friday before Super Bowl LV, league sources told ESPN.

If the Buffalo Bills and Green Bay Packers win their conference championship games Sunday, they have tentative plans to arrive in Tampa on Friday, Feb. 5, two days before the Super Bowl, according to sources.

If the Kansas City Chiefs advance to the Super Bowl, they do not plan to arrive in Tampa until the day before the Super Bowl, according to sources.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was actually kind of surprised that they are waiting two weeks to play the Super Bowl.  I know 2 weeks is the tradition, but they have ignored that in other years.  I think the longer there is between the championship games and the Super Bowl, the greater the chance that COVID becomes a factor.

Edited by Buftex
  • Agree 2

I’m surprised by this.  Wouldn’t they want the teams to arrive early and quarantine together in the hotel.  Obviously all the traditional super bowl events would be cancelled but at least everyone would be quarantine in a hotel. 2 weeks is a long time to trust the players to be by themselves and not contract COVID.

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I’m surprised by this.  Wouldn’t they want the teams to arrive early and quarantine together in the hotel.  Obviously all the traditional super bowl events would be cancelled but at least everyone would be quarantine in a hotel. 2 weeks is a long time to trust the players to be by themselves and not contract COVID.

there are too many distractions and Media day would be a mess. 

I have zero issue with keeping it this was. 

As for Brady.  He’ll be in the seats as a spectator. 

• Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

This is great. No distractions.  They partying in Tampa in 1991 did not help the Bills. Amazing players were out partying just a couple days before the Super Bowl.  Guess that was a different time.  

Still don't understand how partying on a thursday night would effect a players performance on Sunday.

1 hour ago, BITE ME said:

This is great. No distractions.  They partying in Tampa in 1991 did not help the Bills. Amazing players were out partying just a couple days before the Super Bowl.  Guess that was a different time.  

If I'm not mistaken - 1991 was one of the few times they had only a week between Conference Championship and SB

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The 1991 season was a two-week layoff. You're thinking of the 1993 season, second Dallas game.

I was talking about the 1990 season - the playoffs were Jan 1991 - SB was in Tampa
The 1991 Season (Playoffs Jan 1992) there were 2 weeks - like you wrote 

Edited by BillsIsrael
Clarification

2 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

So if the bucs beat the packers,  Brady gets a huge advantage against his opponent.  Sounds about right...

That's the first thing I thought. The league did this because they think TB will be in the Super Bowl and they want to give an advantage to him. They already wrote the 30 for 30, and all the hype of tom teriffic sailing off into the sunset with rings from multiple teams.

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

But long story short.... Who cares. It's been a fight to get here, and the fight's not over yet! 2 more games to glory.

Oh come on. SB locations are selected something like 4 years in advance 

20 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

That's the first thing I thought. The league did this because they think TB will be in the Super Bowl and they want to give an advantage to him. They already wrote the 30 for 30, and all the hype of tom teriffic sailing off into the sunset with rings from multiple teams.

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

But long story short.... Who cares. It's been a fight to get here, and the fight's not over yet! 2 more games to glory.

Well before Tammy went to Tampa 

• Thank you (+1) 1