Wing oil - How many times do you reuse?

Tony P

How many times do you re-use your wing oil before changing to fresh oil? Do you change every time? Or, do you judge by a certain time limit (rather than uses)?

I've been using fresh pretty much every time but man, getting a bit pricey!

Edited by Tony P

I am NOT they guy to answer this, but changing every time seems like the wrong answer. Restaurants keep dropping wings all day long (often without allowing the oil to get back up to temp....yuck). 

How often do you do wings? Are you talking about saving the oil for days? Weeks? Months? I don’t know how well it keeps once used. Also, how do you dispose of it? What kind of oil do you use? 

While I’m not your guy for answers, you are in the right place! Guys like @plenzmd1 for sure or @mead107 might be able to help. 

I have a double basket deep fryer that takes a gallon at a clip. I will replace the oil after about 60 lbs of wings (if done over a few weeks). After it cools, I pour it back in the jug and keep it in a cool place or fridge. If it is over 6-8 weeks I get rid of it in the original jug. I generally use vegetable oil, but I prefer peanut oil (higher smoke level, and good crisp wings), but some people have peanut allergies so I wont use peanut oil unless I know all people coming are good with it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

All GOOD restaurants religiously change out frying oil constantly, before they have to or need to.

All BAD restaurants keep the same stinky garbage going as long as possible, even to the point of the stuff turning rancid. 

Cooking oil isn't the most expensive stuff on the planet.

Depending on how often you cook wings, I would change it out every time you make them.

I always keep empty coffee cans in the freezer for collecting oil and then freezing it solid for disposal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I change mine every time.

I wouldn't be opposed to using it twice, but I use my fryer 2-3 times/year, so I'd rather go fresh.

A large jug of Peanut Oil is about $13 at Walmart.  I think it's worth the price of adding that to the cost of the meal, simply because it's going to be the best flavor you can get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I change mine every time.

I wouldn't be opposed to using it twice, but I use my fryer 2-3 times/year, so I'd rather go fresh.

A large jug of Peanut Oil is about $13 at Walmart.  I think it's worth the price of adding that to the cost of the meal, simply because it's going to be the best flavor you can get.

You’re like a little Buddha.  So wise.  This is it right here for anyone who cooks wings 3-5 times per year.  

A lot of people swear by doing wings in their air fryer.  I don’t have one, but my bride has been squawking about getting one.  Can anyone confirm that you can do legit wings in those things?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

All GOOD restaurants religiously change out frying oil constantly, before they have to or need to.

All BAD restaurants keep the same stinky garbage going as long as possible, even to the point of the stuff turning rancid. 

Cooking oil isn't the most expensive stuff on the planet.

Depending on how often you cook wings, I would change it out every time you make them.

I always keep empty coffee cans in the freezer for collecting oil and then freezing it solid for disposal.

It depends what you call constantly. I know a lot of pizzeria owners in Buffalo and none of them change it daily or every other day 

They would all be bleeding money

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There is a restaurant in Niagara Falls, Ontario from which EVERYTHING deep fried tastes like fish. :sick:

Couple places I know change the oil for Friday and only serve fish fries....no wings that day. They're still good a few days after.

Grease laden beer battered coating fish fries, french fries, chicken fingers/wings and anything else fried at too many places are more the norm, and that was pre-Covid.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A lot of people swear by doing wings in their air fryer.  I don’t have one, but my bride has been squawking about getting one.  Can anyone confirm that you can do legit wings in those things?

I have one. I've used the pre-made wings in it, haven't tried fresh yet. Took about 25 minutes, flipping them twice, to get it to the crispy level I like. I won't say they are as good/better than a deep fryer, but when done right, no one is going to turn them down. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for all the input.

Yeah, I'm a 5-6 times a year guy. I'll most likely continue to do fresh unless I think I'm going to make wings again in a week or two. I've never gone the peanut oil route and may try it next time. 

On 1/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, Seasons1992 said:

When I worked in a bar at Ohio University, we filtered the oil every day, and actually changed it every 3 days. 

That's the key. Fresh filtered oil makes good food. Old oil is gross.

This. Though I can empathize with the home cook's setup: it's harder for the home cook to filter oil. Possibly even dangerous.

When I was a teenage dishwasher, one of my tasks was filtering the fryer. I'd get little burns  on my forearms from splashing oil. The fast food places had a fancy machine to filter oil. All we had was a stock pot and paper cone in a strainer.

44 minutes ago, boater said:

This. Though I can empathize with the home cook's setup: it's harder for the home cook to filter oil. Possibly even dangerous.

When I was a teenage dishwasher, one of my tasks was filtering the fryer. I'd get little burns  on my forearms from splashing oil. The fast food places had a fancy machine to filter oil. All we had was a stock pot and paper cone in a strainer.

SO many burns.......

I had the large pot, and a cone strainer. It was very dangerous and we always did two people to pour the fryer bin. 

Good times! In case any Ohio people are around: http://www.thepubathens.com/

35 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

SO many burns.......

I had the large pot, and a cone strainer. It was very dangerous and we always did two people to pour the fryer bin. 

Good times! In case any Ohio people are around: http://www.thepubathens.com/

I clicked through on the menu. WOW, those are some cheap prices. Even by Buffalo standards.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, Seasons1992 said:

When I worked in a bar at Ohio University, we filtered the oil every day, and actually changed it every 3 days. 

That's the key. Fresh filtered oil makes good food. Old oil is gross.

Back in my college days we played rugby at OU, always a good time! 

In my workings days my boss at the bank interviewed a prospect I was looking at and noted: “well, she went to OU so we know she can drink!”  She said it, not me! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.