Leslie Frazier: “Sweep the toe. You have a problem with that?”

Justin Zimmer: “No, sensei.”

Leslie Frazier: “No mercy.”

Justin Zimmer: But I can be disqualified 

Leslie Frazier: Out of commission ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Anyone on this board ever have turf toe? It's obviously painful and takes forever to heal. I'm wondering if (when) he gets shots in it to numb it throughout the game, if that makes him able to use/ push off with that foot normally. I'm guessing he's been practicing this week with the shots to realize what It's going to feel like and what limitations he has. Probably a strange sensation having that part of the foot numb... but how debilitating is that?

The shot would make it feel like his toe was numb. I would imagine that he won’t notice it one bit, considering the weather and the stakes of the game. 

Turf toe is painful. It sounds wimpy, but it’s a bad one. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know Gay being sidelined today was discussed in other threads, but I think that also fits here. Gay was the Chief's Milano (a few levels down), light on his feet, versatile. Gay would have been used extensively to keep Allen from running wild. No Gay means big opportunities for Josh to use his legs a lot tonight. Looking for 100 yards on the ground from our QB, unless the Chiefs change up, which would mean 400 yards passing.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Exactly.  It's never a player's fault when a team drafts him too high, or gives up too much to get him.  The player does what he can do.  Watkins showed flashes of brilliance but could never keep himself intact enough to excel.

I agree with this.   If Watkins had been a late first round or a second round pick, he would have been viewed as a pretty good injury prone receiver who moved on but played well here when he wasn't hurt.    The fact that he cost two first round picks in a class that had so many good receivers including three potential hall of famers in Adams, Evans and Beckham will always give him a not fully warranted label as an underachiever.

Edited by dgrochester55

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Beane did trade Watkins to the Rams, which is what Magox is referring to.

Btw, a lot of people forget we got EJ Gaines in that trade, and he will be back with Bills next year. If and when healthy, a big if for him, he was excellent in McD’s system. 

3 minutes ago, scribo said:

I know Gay being sidelined today was discussed in other threads, but I think that also fits here. Gay was the Chief's Milano (a few levels down), light on his feet, versatile. Gay would have been used extensively to keep Allen from running wild. No Gay means big opportunities for Josh to use his legs a lot tonight. Looking for 100 yards on the ground from our QB, unless the Chiefs change up, which would mean 400 yards passing.

Gay played just 2 snaps last time.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gay played just 2 snaps last time.

I get that. But he came on well in the second half the season (his rookie season), playing about 20% of the snaps. He had a big final couple of games in the regular season. My point is his skill set matches up fairly well against Allen's running threat.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Exactly.  It's never a player's fault when a team drafts him too high, or gives up too much to get him.  The player does what he can do.  Watkins showed flashes of brilliance but could never keep himself intact enough to excel.

To think we gave up extra first rounder to get Sammy when there were elite players in that draft picked below him that we could have had.  

2 minutes ago, scribo said:

I get that. But he came on well in the second half the season (his rookie season), playing about 20% of the snaps. He had a big final couple of games in the regular season. My point is his skill set matches up fairly well against Allen's running threat.

I was more talking the difference between the first game and today's.  But looking at his snap counts, Gay has played less than 1/3 of the snaps for 12 games this year.  The ones he's played more have featured relatively immobile QBs (Carr, Lock and Ryan). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think it’s someone named Thompson, who gets a handful of carries. Both guys can hit the hole Hard for 4-yard gains. 

Also, it may just be me, but I think CEH is just okay. Not a guy to be super worried about. He had two great games this year (one against us)— but seems stoppable. 

I agree.  None of their backs are super scary.  Actually, Williams/Thompson might be the most worrisome given their ability to pound inside for 4 yrds.  

Watkins has also been seemingly subpar this season.  

Conclusion: none of the likely missing players seem to be big reasons why KC got this far, IMO.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree.  None of their backs are super scary.  Actually, Williams/Thompson might be the most worrisome given their ability to pound inside for 4 yrds.  

Watkins has also been seemingly subpar this season.  

Conclusion: none of the likely missing players seem to be big reasons why KC got this far, IMO.  

They weren't the reasons they won games but they certainly would pose greater problems for the Bills if playing and 100%.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

mahomes is the luckiest qb in the league when chucking up passes that should be picked off but aren’t.

Bills need to rush with discipline, keep him bottled up in the pocket and his mechanics may get thrown off with that injury. 

Every game I have watched of him this year I have seen EASY dropped interceptions. Kind of blew my mind.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Every game I have watched of him this year I have seen EASY dropped interceptions. Kind of blew my mind.

It tends to happen with strong armed QBs that can (and will) sling the ball into unexpected areas from unusual angles. Losing that little bit of reaction time causes the drops. Fortunately, our guys have the benefit of practicing against Allen, so they may be a bit more prepared for that than most teams. 

As an aside, I would love to see that statistic with Favre.... or maybe a long video of all Favre’s dropped interceptions. I certainly remember a few that just straight up went through a DBs hands and hit them in the face mask. 

1 hour ago, dgrochester55 said:

I agree with this.   If Watkins had been a late first round or a second round pick, he would have been viewed as a pretty good injury prone receiver who moved on but played well here when he wasn't hurt.    The fact that he cost two first round picks in a class that had so many good receivers including three potential hall of famers in Adams, Evans and Beckham will always give him a not fully warranted label as an underachiever.

Fair enough (and don't mistake the length of this comment for my thinking your comment was unreasonable), and while I loved the trade-up at the time, it was fairly accepted at the time that it was too much to give up. However, a few posters here are kind of altering how Watkins was perceived at the time. No one had a problem with him being picked at 4 at the time. I found six mock drafts from the time before stopping and every team had Watkins in the top 5, many at number two. If Watkins had played anywhere near his perceived potential, it would have looked like at least a solid move, but Whaley rolled the dice and was wrong, and the risk-reward even at the time, was probably not worth it. That said, he was thought to be the clearly best of a great wide receiver class and the Bills did not have the luxury of a great QB which makes taking a chance on one in a crowd of potentially great WRs easier (and remember while the post-9 WR picks included OBJ, Adams, Jarvis Landry, and Allen Robinson, it also included Kelvin Benjamin, Jordin Matthews, Cody Latimer, Paul Richardson, and Marqise Lee.

At the time of the draft, all we have is perception and what is seen on tape. Yes, if Watkins had been a later pick, he would have fewer detractors. The same was true for Shaq Lawson, a player who I saw people here posit was only drafted at 19 b/c of Ryan's Clemson connection and even saw one person suggest he would not have been drafted, even though practically every draft had Lawson going before 19 and Bears fans outside the draft location were chanting to take him at 11. Watkins was considered a generational WR at the time and clearly the best with a burst and playmaking ability that could make a mediocre QB/game manager look better than he was.

Hindsight is 20/20. With hindsight, Mike Evans was clearly the better choice, and at the time there were a couple experts (but not most) suggesting he might turn out to be the best. However, for this argument this is kind of moot, because we would have had to trade up to get him anyway. Beckham had tons of concerns for both his headspace and his injury, and he has been a headcase and injuries have hampered his career, but definitely would have been a better pick. However, I do remember people questioning his draft that high at the time, and the best reviews I found for the pick still called him "basically Victor Cruz" and "low ceiling...best he'll be is a complementary player to Victor Cruz." Devante Adams -- well, duh, but at the time, EVERY OTHER TEAM, including the Packers passed on him. Sure, we know now, but I'm also sure the Browns wish they had chosen a certain QB from Michigan instead Courney Brown at Number 1. Was anyone here really lobbying for Devante Adams at 9? Probably someone, but that's not really the point. 

We can judge Whaley for having poor football sense with the pick, even if many others would have selected the player that high, and definitely for giving up too much to move up for a WR, but let's not understate the benefit of hindsight or expectations at the time.