Detriot Lions and Stafford to part ways this offseason

Wayne Cubed

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Competitiveness aside Stafford is just not as intelligent as Allen (or Brady or Manning).  Might be that simple.  He’s not a star of the mental side of the game.

I think it is that more than competitiveness that he lacks. It is that intelligence... not just the football intelligence but the emotional intelligence to really be that leader that a dysfunctional franchise like Detroit needs and has needed. I wonder how different his career would have turned out if he had been drafted by someone like Pittsburgh or Baltimore or even at the time the Eagles with Reid where there was already a direction and leadership in the organisation. Now I know it is rare a #1 pick gets that and it is one of the pitfalls of going early in the draft - you generally are going into dysfunctional situations. I think you compare Stafford to his big mate Matt Ryan who went a year earlier to Atlanta with stable ownership and a GM and Head coach with a direction. Okay there have been some down years in Atlanta, especially recently, but Ryan has had 6 playoff seasons, he has had a Superbowl run and he won an MVP. I think personality wise he and Stafford are similar. I think talent wise Stafford is probably more talented. Ryan, especially early, was part of a well run organisation. Detroit has been almost constant drama and dysfunction. Again I don't think Stafford gets a pass, that isn't my argument.... but I don't think he is to blame for the dysfunction. He just isn't good enough mentally to be the leader that helps overcome it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When people describe competitors they talk about people who are always like that.......all game and every game.................not just when certain decisive circumstances ignite it.

When provoked Rob Johnson was a beast...........he simply couldn't bring it game in and game out.......though he often would heat up in the clutch late in games.

But Johnson really hated Flutie.    That Johnson versus Flutie game in San Diego was fantastic.   Johnson was possessed..........and he had Flutie beat.........but for........terrible kick coverage at the end!  Again.:lol:

After Jon Gruden saw that game he said he had to have Rob Johnson on his team..........and that's how Rojo got his SB ring.

I get it. I just think it is the head rather than the heart where Stafford is truly lacking. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not sure why so many are afraid of him going to NE. They have no talent at the skill positions and while he is good he has not shown the ability to elevate a team. If he goes to NE so be it, we will kick their butt next year.

Yeah, the bloom is now definitely off the Cheaters' rose.  And with Stafford having his pick of places to an extent, being the most accomplished QB available (I still don't think Watson is going anywhere), there's no way he chooses the Cheaters, or that the Cheaters offer what Detroit wants in compensation and/or Stafford wants in a contract.

As for Stafford himself, he seems like a decent guy.  But I never got the sense he wanted it bad enough or was a leader.

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Colts might be a good fit, not sure where else he could go that would make sense for both parties. I think Campbell is selling the ownership on a 3 year full rebuild.

Indy was my first thought since Rivers retired, I can't see Brissett coming back since they turned their backs on him and are drafting too low to get a top QB in the draft 

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Indy was my first thought since Rivers retired, I can't see Brissett coming back since they turned their backs on him and are drafting too low to get a top QB in the draft 

Indy is in a tough spot, Stafford puts them right back into the 10+ win range but he won't get them past the divisional round either. But do the Colts want to waste a high quality roster on a young unproven QB? It is a tough spot to be in. 

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Stafford is due $20M next season and $22M the next.

He's 33 years old.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/

Possibly the "arrangement" has to do with signing bonus, which at present would leave Detroit $19M in dead cap after a trade.

I would say maybe Colts, but depends upon what exactly Detroit wants for him.

Indy would make the most sense.  He’s only 33, he played behind a crap line and skill players for the most part.  Indy has some $, they are a winner with good coaching and Mgmt, and a line he could throw a ton.  If they get him, they are a serious contender.

I’m less worried about the Jets or Pats with Stafford their.  Indy will keep moving north.  Reich has done a tremendous job.  I guess I’m biased, but he’s going to be known in the next 10 years as a top AFC Coach.