Detriot Lions and Stafford to part ways this offseason

Wayne Cubed

Again, he has consistently been the second most talented QB in that division for nearly a decade.  He has nothing to show for it.  The organization has been atrocious no doubt and I’m not strictly a wins and losses guy but - if he was going to elevate a franchise he would’ve done it by now.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Not quite sure stafford would be ok being traded to Houston.  Even Morrison for Watson...and he has a no trade clause iirc

There is talk that Jim Caldwell, Stafford's former HC in Detroit, is in play for the Texans HC opening. Caldwell and Stafford got along very well together. Could be a good fit. Would Watson want to go to Detroit though?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LittleSammy said:

There is talk that Jim Caldwell, Stafford's former HC in Detroit, is in play for the Texans HC opening. Caldwell and Stafford got along very well together. Could be a good fit. Would Watson want to go to Detroit though?

Nope.  Never gonna happen

Edited by NewEra

7 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

Well, could put a three team trade into the mix. Complicated, but it's not every day that a bona fide franchise qb (Watson) is on the market.

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The story coming out is that they told their new GM and HC that Stafford was probably on his way out.  Their latest blue chip player had a rough rookie season.

I would think Stafford saw the rebuild writing on the wall. Plus all the history of fail it would be in his best interest to get another start before too long.

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, he has consistently been the second most talented QB in that division for nearly a decade.  He has nothing to show for it.  The organization has been atrocious no doubt and I’m not strictly a wins and losses guy but - if he was going to elevate a franchise he would’ve done it by now.  

I guess my question would be if Josh Allen had been drafted by the Bills in 2010 how would he have done? He may have done better than Stafford, but I don't think Ralph would have put the pieces around him to be successful to compete with the better teams in the league. I guess I just see ownership as more of a problem for that franchise than Matt Stafford. Look at the year Watson had - and he couldn't elevate that team past four wins after what BOB did to it.

42 minutes ago, Mango said:

Could the AFCE become the toughest division in football? 

-NE: There were some whispers of Stafford to NE for 2021 during the season. Maybe unfounded. But he’s available now. Pats have some more space, BB, and 10 players coming back from covid. 

-Watson: reported we wants out bad. Top 2 choices are NYJ and MIA. 

Imagine a division with Watson, Allen, Stafford. Plus the defenses of McD, BB, and Flores. Not sure there would be a deeper combination of offense and defense in the league. 

Yeah this is all the last thing I’d want to see as a Bills fan. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and won the division. I’d like to rule this division for the next 10 years while the other 3 teams suck. Just like New England got to enjoy for 20 years. Keep Stafford and especially Watson as far away from the AFC East as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I tend to see him as part of the problem.

I remember in his second season reading a story where he was talking about all the marble he had imported for his house and all this other material stuff.............and I thought that was a bit of putting the cart before the horse for like a 21 year old dude.........and back then when you went #1 overall you got paid HUGE.

As a friend of mine says...........it's pre-paying the ransom.

Sometimes money like that can remove the focus and I never found him to be a great competitor.   

People talk about the Rams-Saints NFC championship game as having the worst call in modern NFL postseason history, but the picking up of the flag (which if it hadn't been picked up would have ended the game) in that Dallas-Detroit game is arguably the worst call of this century. Clear INT, and then the refs pick up the flag. You're always the guy who says it shouldn't come down to one call, but the Lions had that game won. No ifs, ands, or buts.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Except he is right up there among QBs in the last decade in 4th Quarter comebacks. I think Stafford is clutch. If anything the opposite is true. Too often he plays small early in games which is why they are behind. It is like he is too laid back but once you flick that switch he can go.

When people describe competitors they talk about people who are always like that.......all game and every game.................not just when certain decisive circumstances ignite it.

When provoked Rob Johnson was a beast...........he simply couldn't bring it game in and game out.......though he often would heat up in the clutch late in games.

But Johnson really hated Flutie.    That Johnson versus Flutie game in San Diego was fantastic.   Johnson was possessed..........and he had Flutie beat.........but for........terrible kick coverage at the end!  Again.:lol:

After Jon Gruden saw that game he said he had to have Rob Johnson on his team..........and that's how Rojo got his SB ring.

• Like (+1) 1

Pittsburgh perhaps if Ben retires?  would be a good guy for Haskins and Rudolph to learn behind. 

Trade with Houston?

32 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I guess my question would be if Josh Allen had been drafted by the Bills in 2010 how would he have done? He may have done better than Stafford, but I don't think Ralph would have put the pieces around him to be successful to compete with the better teams in the league. I guess I just see ownership as more of a problem for that franchise than Matt Stafford. Look at the year Watson had - and he couldn't elevate that team past four wins after what BOB did to it.

I agree.  Not sure Ralph would have been the issue but the dreadful GM’s.  (Actually, Allen might have been okay with some of the D’s we had here.). 

Wherever he ends up the team trading for him will probably have a 3-5 year SB window (because I'm assuming he gets traded to one of those teams that has evrything but a QB). Colts and Bears make the most sense. If Stafford ends up on that Colts team watch out

41 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

People talk about the Rams-Saints NFC championship game as having the worst call in modern NFL postseason history, but the picking up of the flag (which if it hadn't been picked up would have ended the game) in that Dallas-Detroit game is arguably the worst call of this century. Clear INT, and then the refs pick up the flag. You're always the guy who says it shouldn't come down to one call, but the Lions had that game won. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Worst call of the century was MCM.   It was in 2000.   No team should never.......ever.......have to defend a forward pass on a kickoff and if a team tries to win a game on the last play of the game with some bullsh*t like that they shouldn't be given ANY benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

That said.........stay in your lane Daryl Porter..........and who knows what happens from there.   The Bills were a fair amount better than TN and that SB was very competitive.

The Lions weren't winning any SB that year.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

I think Stafford is overrated personally. 50% of the Lions suck is on him. Thats a two way street if ya ask me. Everyone always feels so sorry for him blah blah blah. He's maybe above average and pretty darn un-clutch.

Im waiting for the “Matthew Stafford Era is Over” thread to formulate my opinion. 

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I tend to see him as part of the problem.

I remember in his second season reading a story where he was talking about all the marble he had imported for his house and all this other material stuff.............and I thought that was a bit of putting the cart before the horse for like a 21 year old dude.........and back then when you went #1 overall you got paid HUGE.

As a friend of mine says...........it's pre-paying the ransom.

Sometimes money like that can remove the focus and I never found him to be a great competitor.   

A little bit of a weirdo judgement there. Some puff piece about a kid building a nice house after pocketing $60M, and ten years later when he’s going back into the game injured in a lost season, he’s “not a great competitor?”

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly, Detroit has been really really bad. 

You look at GB and there’s name after name of star players they have acquired. Superstars even. Detroit has failed to do anything similar. 

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A little bit of a weirdo judgement there. Some puff piece about a kid building a nice house after pocketing $60M, and ten years later when he’s going back into the game injured in a lost season, he’s “not a great competitor?”

Honestly, Detroit has been really really bad. 

You look at GB and there’s name after name of star players they have acquired. Superstars even. Detroit has failed to do anything similar. 

I think giving him 10 years was a fair enough amount of time for him to show how bad he wants it.  If you think all QB's are wired to compete and always be getting better like Josh Allen or Tom Brady etc.. I think you are wrong.    I know you are wrong really.   There is a lot more that goes into it than just a solid days work and a commitment to finish your 60 minutes of game per week.   His attention to detail wrt interior decorating......not up for debate though........detail oriented. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1