Deshaun Watson prefers the Jets

2 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

The Jets will do it, and its going to cost them Darnold & a king's ransom.

Even the Jets are not dumb enough to trade 3 1st rounders for a quarterback that has 1-2 playoff record for a team only averaging 20 points per game in the three starts.  Throw in the fact he was completely outplayed by Mahomes, and there is no chance anyone is giving up 3 first rounders.  He is worth their #2 pick. That is it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The honest truth is Miami is the only team that could put him in a situation to win, that could offer reasonable compensation.  They were competitive already, they could ship back 2 first round picks, Tua and some future compensation and still have enough ammo to surround him with some talent.  The Jets are a virtually barren team and once they get him will have no picks to fill in ALL those holes, plus a limited cap situation due to his contract, he’s walking into a worse situation from a talent perspective, than he’s in. 

The only other options would be for him to go to a ready made contender like the 49ers who would have to send back top tier players (D line), Jimmy G and give up a lot of draft capital in the future to get him, but at least he would have a shot to win.  Texans at least have a good option to turn to in this scenario. 

Maybe if Brady retires (fat chance), he could go to the Bucs for players and picks, but their picks aren’t high enough to work with for Houston IMO. 

Wild card, option(s), the Cowboys.  Get a deal for Dak (tag and trade) and Cooper plus this year’s first and second and next year’s first.  Trouble would be getting Dak to sign the tag, but maybe, just maybe, he feels “disrespected” enough to go play across the state and try to prove something.   I guess you could look at the same idea with Cleveland for Baker and OBJ, plus picks.    These scenarios seem unlikely, but might actually be best options for the Texans and Watson.  Very few teams have the fire power to make it worth it.  If I were the Rams to try to make a package with Goff, Arizona with Murray, Etc, where you could offer a reasonable, proven, alternative at QB for the Texans and more, vs nothing but draft picks. 

Virtually every team in the league minus the ones left playing right now should have serious considerations to try to make the deal to land Watson.  Of course, the smart thing for Houston to hold on for dear life.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

So he wants to go from one completely inept organization to another? Cripes. I'm not sure I can sympathize with the guy anymore. 

I don't think the Jets are so inept anymore.  They have a good GM finally, and may have gotten themselves a competent coach.  Watson immediately makes them a wildcard contender, at least.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I don't think the Jets are so inept anymore.  They have a good GM finally, and may have gotten themselves a competent coach.  Watson immediately makes them a wildcard contender, at least.  

They have a good GM and HC now, but they're not in a position to ship a bunch of draft pick compensation to Houston, pay Watson, and still field a team.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Im sure Joe Douglas can be a good GM, but I’m not sure why people say he’s good already.  

He’s had one FA period and Draft.  Made the team way worse, let Robbie Anderson walk, acquired great draft capital for Jamal Adams, passed on a second WR in a loaded draft and most of his draft class has barely seen the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Gotta stop stressing this guy. 
Until he comes out and says this stuff publicly take it for what it’s worth. Hearsay. 
Carolina, Pittsburgh, Indy, and tons of other fan bases all have similar “reports” popping up about how they have a shot at trading for him. Watson has not confirmed any of this. It’s all based on reporters hunches and inside “sources” 
Houston holds the cards here don’t forget despite reports, Watson has his no trade clause but is he actually willing to miss game checks? Houston does not have to trade him if they don’t feel they’re getting enough value. He might get moved but I don’t believe all these bs reports. He told people, ok what people? 

You don't think he or his people are putting this kind of stuff out there?

Any normal person who was publicly described as preferring the Jets would waste no time denying it if it was not true.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im sure Joe Douglas can be a good GM, but I’m not sure why people say he’s good already.  

He’s had one FA period and Draft.  Made the team way worse, let Robbie Anderson walk, acquired great draft capital for Jamal Adams, passed on a second WR in a loaded draft and most of his draft class has barely seen the field.  

Becton was an absolute home run, Mims looks like a good pick and I think the safety from Cal that they took in round three is going to be good.  And the Adams trade was a steal.  Not sure who the second receiver was that they passed on...So far, so good.    

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They have a good GM and HC now, but they're not in a position to ship a bunch of draft pick compensation to Houston, pay Watson, and still field a team.

I don't think that's true.  Let's say the Jets have to give up both ones this year, a first next year, and Darnold.  That would leave them with a second and two third-round picks this year, and picks in each of the first three rounds next year.  That's hardly a bare cupboard, especially when you've added a franchise QB to the mix.  I don't know what their cap situation is.   

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You don't think he or his people are putting this kind of stuff out there?

Any normal person who was publicly described as preferring the Jets would waste no time denying it if it was not true.

I think he asked Houston to trade him and reporters are running wild with stories. It’s basically just the hype machine. But of course that’s just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Becton was an absolute home run, Mims looks like a good pick and I think the safety from Cal that they took in round three is going to be good.  And the Adams trade was a steal.  Not sure who the second receiver was that they passed on...So far, so good.    

Becton, yes.   Mims has potential.  

Ashtyn Davis... ehhh.  

The failure to draft two WR’s in the first 4 rounds was a huge miss after letting Robbie walk.   They took a random QB over a guy like Gabriel Davis. 

Edited by SCBills